Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

4-way spitfire SPARK PLUGS

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  5port 
#1 · (Edited)
Bosch 4-way SPARK PLUGS

Hi ppl,
Anyone using these kinds of spark plugs. They are available from Bosch over here. This guy was telling me that this spark plug has four contact points rather than one and since normal spark plugs also tend to mis-fire over time these will not as they automatically detect which one is working and which one is not.

My question is is this true??
Is this usefull to an engine??
Since they are five times the cost are they worth it??
:(

#3 ·
that would be correct he was selling you on some b.s. :liar:

by misfire over time he neglected to tell you that he meant a long time... lmao

he made it sound as if these were the spark plugs of the future by saying they will automaticly detect which are working. by using simple electronics knowledge the spark will find the path of least resistance which means it will choose one of the 4 post it has to choose from it doesnt mean the other three arent working

all in all no they are not worth it and you should go beat the guy who tried to sell them to you with a rusty lead pipe :stupid:

#6 ·
I have sold auto parts for about 10 years now, and I can tell you that Bosch makes some really good products, but... Their spark plugs are not one of them. Everytime I see somone come in with any Bosch plug in their car, it runs like crap. In fact, it runs worse after they install them than it did when they had their original 80k mile plugs in the car. So, the reccomendation to save your money and get the NGK plugs is good. I would also reccomend the Denso Iridium plugs. They really work well.

#7 ·
:iamwithst

I had Bosch plugs and my car ran like crap. I thought it was the wires, I replaced the wires with Bosch wires and it became worse. I eventually got it misfiring real bad and thought it was the timing belt and replaced that. It didn't help, I replaced the bosch plugs with NGK and my car runs perfect.

#8 · (Edited)
I've used Bosch plugs in several cars and never had any problems with them. I even went brain dead once and tried the Bosch Plus 4's that you're referring to (Splitfire plugs are something else), but didn't notice any improvement over standard platinum plugs. I've used NGK's and they work well, but I can't honestly say that there's any difference. Come to think of it, even garden variety Champions got the job done. I've used Bosch and NGK spiral core wires and they were fine, too. The only aftermarket electrical parts I've ever have problems with were distributor caps, but that's not an issue with the Elantra.

The scoop on plugs is this:

The best performing plugs (electrically speaking) are copper plugs and they're also the least expensive. However, they have the shortest life (15-30K miles) and you need to re-gap them periodically to get the most life out of them. Platinum plugs can last twice that and iridium plugs even longer, but they cost progressively more. So, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you don't mind changing plugs more often, copper are great and cost less in the long run. If you prefer to "set it and forget it" and are willing to pay for the convenience, iridiums are the way to go.

As for multiple electrodes (Bosch 2 and 4 electrode models) and forked electrodes (Splitfire), they're basically just gimmicks to extract a few more dollars out of your wallet. Anyone else out there remember JC Whitney "Fire Injectors"?

No, I never tried those. ;)

#9 ·
Hey......Bnystrom can you let me know the model number for the bosch splitfire plugs or any website which i can see the pricing from.
Also i will post a picture of the plugs to show you the ones that i mean......

Unfortunately in india the quality of fuel is not that good so we have to quite regularly clean the spark plugs as after 10,000miles a lot of deposits get stuck on them. So i've been thinking of a long term solution to that......and these four way things seemed like a good idea.................also they can't be fake because they come directly from Mico Bosch india (Bosch worldwide)..........

NGK unfortunately is non-existent over here............. :( :(

#10 · (Edited)
I've been using Bosch +4 spark plugs for 10K now in my Elantra GT. Nothing but praise for them. While it is true that they do not work well with all cars, the Elantra has no problem with them. The title of this thread should be changed because they have nothing to do with Splitfire junk.

Beeman Bosch +4 start self-cleaning at a lower temp than other plugs so they might be a good pick for your application.

#11 · (Edited)
I also have the Bosch Plat. +4's in my car for like 20K now, and I have not had a problem with them. I really like them. I will probably be checking them in the next few weeks to see how they are doing (I just went over 25K), and then decide to get NGK IX Iridiums for a comparison.

As far as multiple grounds go, having more than 1 path seems like a good idea to me. I mean you do not get 4 sparks, but the spark will travel the path of least resistance. If one of the grounds is kind of corroded, having another option has got to be better than not. The way the plug is designed, the flame kernal is exposed, and should result in better combustion of fuel in the cyclinder.

I believe after this topic was beat to death on the old forum, the outcome was split. Some of us really liked the +4's, others did not and went Denso or NGK. Even Jay said he felt like the car hand a little more get up and go with the +4's. One thing that came up was fuel economy (FE). Many people said after switching to the +4's that there FE went down - mine included. After having them in my car for a while, I got 38 MPG on the way down to Orlando for our vacation. The FE coming back, not quite as good (~36), and from outside Atlanta back to Knoxville - 39.2 MPG - best to date. Again, won't be able to compare until I get the Iridium plugs. I also have a more free flowing exhaust now since that trip, so, the results should be interesting.

#12 ·
yup i changed the thread title

Gosh this is getting more confusing than ever..........so DocRxGLS "what you are essentially saying is that it will be more of a trial and error method in this case.............

Better combustion and therefore better fuel economy?? :confused:

#13 ·
I bought Bosch plantums when I replaced my plugs around 60k.... I replaced the wires at the same time and made sure to gap them properly. A few thousand miles later my car started to run like crap...... The dealership said that the plugs were the problem..... that alot of people were having problems with those.... I had them go ahead and replace the plugs since I had already paid them $70 for the diagnostic, so I don't know what they replaced them with. The car has run great since.... Either they were bad, or Advance sold me the wrong ones....

#14 ·
Well, first of all, the Bosch Platinum +2's & +4's are pregapped from the factory. So regapping is not necessary. This is my third set in 3 different vehicles - an Izusu, Geo, and now my Hyundai. Not a problem in any of them.

Beeman, as far as I know, unburned fuel in the cyclinder can lead to engine deposits, so burning up all the fuel in the cyclinder is a good thing. I was just saying of the people that had the plugs and liked them, their fuel economy seemed to go down. This maybe like any other mod you do that you may perceive gives you more power - in that case people drive faster or push their car harder, thus burning more fuel. It seems though with my trip to FL, I may have discredited that theory. However, if I do get some Iridium plugs, and my FE goes up an additional MPG or two, it may have been the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.