Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

MKJS's 2006 Elantra Limited.

[XD2] 
83K views 377 replies 15 participants last post by  mkjh 
#1 ·
So, for my first post about this car, these are the rims I think I will be going with. I knew what I was looking for and found it fast. Unlike my XD which took me awhile to figure out what I liked. I already know exactly how this car is going to look when it is done. It is going to take some time though. But I like these rims. Any opinions or ideas?

http://www.carid.com/velocity-wheels/vw211-black-red-1233897.html

And I will be going with 17" rims. I have to decide on what kind of tires to get. I currently have Falken Ziex on my XD.

#274 ·
I like the metallic red. I like Elantra2005's idea of white. My wife, who usually doesn't care about anything I do for the most part, says I should stick with the red. She likes that color. We'll see.

So can anyone answer the above question regarding the rotors and calipers since it looks like I won't be able to do the XG350 after all? Thanks.

#276 ·
And there is no problem with the Sonata rotor being 11 inches whereas the XG calipers were made for 12 inches? Does the brake pad hang over from the rotor at all or does in make 100% contact?

For brake pads I was thinking Green Stuff.

#277 ·
Bump. I need to know before I buy them. I am going to San Diego tomorrow and the Oceanside Pick Your Part has a 2004 XG350 that looks to be in good condition. I want to stop by there and pick them up. I just need to know about the rotor's being 11" on the Sonata's and the XG350 calipers being made for 12". Will the brake pads hang over the rotor?

Bump.

I am leaving for San Diego now. I hope someone can answer me in the next hour before I get to Oceanside. Thanks.

#279 ·
It didn't make a difference. I got there and found the car. The calipers were there, only problem was that the wheels were still on. So, I go to take them off and come to find out the lugs were aftermarket and a completely different size than stock. They were much smaller. I couldn't get the wheels off. I was pissed. So, anyways, I'll keep my eyes open for another XG350. There are four Pick Your Parts near me. One has to show up sooner or later.

#280 · (Edited)
are you close to any of these
LKQ Pick Your Part - Anaheim
LKQ Pick Your Part - Bakersfield
LKQ Pick Your Part - Chula Vista
LKQ Pick Your Part - Chula Vista (North)
LKQ Pick Your Part - Fontana
LKQ Pick Your Part - Help Yourself
LKQ Pick Your Part - Oceanside
LKQ Pick Your Part - Rialto
LKQ Pick Your Part - Santa Fe Springs
LKQ Pick Your Part - Stanton
LKQ Pick Your Part - Sun Valley
LKQ Pick Your Part - Thousand Palms
LKQ Pick Your Part - Victorville
LKQ Pick Your Part - Wilmington
LKQ Pick-A-Part - Hesperia
LKQ Pick-A-Part - Monrovia
LKQ Pick-A-Part - Ontario
LKQ Pick-A-Part - Riverside
LKQ Pick-A-Part - San Bernardino

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/

#281 ·
Anaheim, Stanton, Wilmington, Help Yourself and Santa Fe Springs are all within about 10 miles of me. I check their sites almost daily. Still looking.

So, my question on the other thread was this. Are the Tiburon and Sonata calipers different from each other? Because I am thinking I might just go with the Sonata calipers and rotors. Is there a big difference in braking with that setup over the stock calipers and rotors?

#283 ·
I'm jealous of you guys in US that you can go to a junkyard and exam the parts and take them off by yourself. In my country you going to a local junkyard and you paid them to bring the part that you want and you can't pick the one that you really want or so.
much more difficult and idiotic here.

Sorry mkjh for not helping you with my comment .

#284 ·
Bump. Can someone answer my question regarding the Tiburon vs. Sonata calipers? I think I am going to go with Sonata calipers and rotors. What is the difference between the Sonata and Tiburon Calipers?

That is ridiculous that's how they do it where you live. Yeah, here we just walk in with our tools, pay our 3 dollars, then walk the entire yard taking off what we want. If I am ever unsure about how to take something apart on either of my cars, I can go there to practice. If I had to do it the way they do it in your country, I don't think I would even go. I want to take the part off myself and see it myself and decide if I want it or not.

Bump again.

#286 ·
I know at the Help Yourself PYP it shows one, but it's not there. I was there last weekend. I asked them about it and they said they just haven't taken it off of the website yet. I was at the Santa Fe Springs PYP the same day and that one is so badly damaged. It looks like it was half burned. One wheel well was completely empty and the other damaged.

However, I do have a bit of good news. I finally found a machine shop that will re drill for $35 a rotor. Finally. So now I just have to find the right rotors, find a good set of calipers, and figure out what brake pads I want. Redstuff, greenstuff, or something else.

Anyone have suggestions for brake pads and rotor brands or types?

#289 · (Edited)
#290 ·
5 lug swap? I'm not understanding what you are saying. I am going with the XG350 calipers, XG350 rotors re-drilled and EBC brake pads, either red or green. I bought one XG350 caliper today for the front left at PYP, now I just need to get the other.

My question was are any of the rotors I posted in the previous post good, or are there others that anyone here would recommend? Also, and recommendations on brake pads? I am thinking EBC greenstuff or redstuff. Thanks.

#292 ·
I just bought and installed four wheels and tires, so a 5 lug swap now is completely out of the question. I will just have to re-drill.

I do have the bracket. I spent some time today using brake cleaner and a drill with a wire brush cleaning up the caliper. I have it stripped down to the bare metal, ready for paint.

https://postimg.org/image/gr9a2bjbl/
https://postimg.org/image/83n4d4dzx/
https://postimg.org/image/qnsbjb9sl/
https://postimg.org/image/9fi0xo1uv/

This is the left front caliper, so now I just need to get the right front.

After painting the Sonata rotor in metallic red, I am running into a problem. The paint chips very easily so I don't think I can go with that color. Though this paint is high heat up to 500 degrees I believe, I can't paint them only to have them chip this easily. And the problem wasn't the prep. I sanded it down to the bare metal, primed a few times, put on the ground coat, color, and clear. So I might just have to go with bright red.

#295 · (Edited)
What's the difference between the two?

It seems that the problem, at least from what I can see with the guy in the link, is that he was using the Spectra 5 rotors which are just under 11" whereas the XG350 rotors are 12".

I looked up the Spectra 5 rotors and they are all about 275 mm which is about 10.8 inches whereas the XG350 rotors are 11.93 inches.

Are your rotors Spectra 5 or XG350?
And are the stock brake lines okay to use or should I try to get some stainless steel lines?
And will all calipers from 2002-2004 XG350 work?

Yes, exactly. I am going to do that with my XD2. Hopefully I will have everything within the next two weeks.

Okay, I think I figured it out. It looks like the BC140063 are for the 12" rotors and the BC140044 are for the 11" rotor.

The only way I can figure this is Ilan, you have the 44 model caliper and are using the Sonata rotors which are 11". The guy in the link you posted is using 11" Kia Spectra rotors with the 63 model and the pads are overhanging. So it seems like he needed the 12" rotor while you, Ilan, chose the right size. So since I have the 63 model, I will need 12" rotors. Does this sound right?

Okay, so it's now 3:07pm. I just got back from PYP where they had a 2003 XG350. Well, I checked out the calipers and here is the info on both models.

2002-2003 XG350
Caliper model: BC140044
Rotor diameter: 10.9 inches.
2004-2005 XG350
Caliper model: BC140063
Rotor diameter: 12 inches.

So, that should clear things up. So I have one caliper model BC140063 so I will be buying 12 inch rotors which is what I wanted to do in the first place. The only thing with doing the 12 inch is I will have to get them re-drilled. One of the companies who sells the rotors on ebay says they will re-drill for $25 a rotor. So that's what I'll do.

And here is a picture of the 44 model I saw today. It measured at 11 inches.

https://postimg.org/image/vxco2qyyf/

#297 ·
The Anaheim PYP just got in a 2005 XG350! That makes me pretty happy so I will be out there Saturday to get the other caliper and get this big brake upgrade going. I still have to order the rotors and pads.

I was thinking of either Green Stuff or Red Stuff. Anyone have any experience with these? Are either better than the other?

#301 ·
Is there a way to get those infinite calipers on the Elantra? They look beast lol. Those brembos are $2,700 ish when I was looking for brakes. Expensive stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#299 ·
lol. Damn, those are nice. 14" would fit?

Anyways, I am off to Santa Barbara today, Solvang specifically, with my wife and my XD for three days of wine tasting and great food and views. I will be back on Tuesday. Then I can get the other caliper ready for paint. I'll see if I can get some good pictures of my car in wine country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.