sulev or ulev?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sulev or ulev?

Newbie guyverwing has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default sulev or ulev?

how do u tell if your car has either or?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Senior Member O_GT has not yet proved knowledgeable O_GT's Avatar

Default Re: sulev or ulev?

by the vin number
    01 gt lots of mods
    05 Frontier 15.3 with just an intake
    06 WRX stock (rip)
    11 Sonata turbo

tenthirtytwothousandfour BoogeyMan113 has not yet proved knowledgeable BoogeyMan113's Avatar

I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to the Hyundai aftermarket, and the Hyundai line period, but what are you talking about?

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

SULEV = Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle

ULEV = Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle

Basically, in some states (Cali and some Northeastern states) require stronger emissions requirements, so vehicles sold there need to be SULEV compliant, rather than ULEV compliant, like most vehicles sold.

Dealing with the Beta II CVVT engine, the SULEV engines have 132/3 HP while the ULEV engines have 138 HP.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Old Guy velantra has not yet proved knowledgeable velantra's Avatar

Apparently, one can still buy an 05 ULEV Elantra in California. I just did. SULEV Elantras apparently only come with a 4 speed automatic transmission. So I can't imagine driving an Elantra with 6 less HP and an automatic on top of that!

Broke @$$ Fool BlackElantraGT has not yet proved knowledgeable BlackElantraGT's Avatar

It's not a requirement to buy a car that's SULEV or ULEV in California. It's more geared to the people that are more concerned about the environment. Personally I don't see why anyone would want to buy a car with a detuned engine, but I guess there's a market out there for these people.

Newbie Doug865 has not yet proved knowledgeable Doug865's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O_GT
    by the vin number
    Does anybody have a link or info about what character and position in the VIN the info about ULEV or SULEV is? I've got a 2004 GT that I bought new in NY, however the car was origionally delivered to a dealer in CT and my dealer swapped with them to get me the car I wanted. Maybe I have the 138 HP ULEV engine?!?!...

Old Guy velantra has not yet proved knowledgeable velantra's Avatar

It should tell you underneath your hood, whether your car meets ULEV or SULEV requirements.

Newbie eddierotary has not yet proved knowledgeable eddierotary's Avatar

doesnt the govertment give you money back on your tax retun for having a low emmision car?
    future owner of '03 Elantra GT
    '84 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE Turbo

Resident Irishman Choking Hazard has not yet proved knowledgeable Choking Hazard's Avatar

yeah...
    Cars:
    2003 XD - Wrecked (T-Boned)
    1996 Jeep Cherokee - Wrecked (Rear Ended)
    1992 Talon TSi - Wrecked (Light Post)
    2003 VW Jetta - Current

I'm a magnet for stupidity. Wonder what me next car is...(can we say 300hp new Hyundai?)

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    It's not a requirement to buy a car that's SULEV or ULEV in California. It's more geared to the people that are more concerned about the environment. Personally I don't see why anyone would want to buy a car with a detuned engine, but I guess there's a market out there for these people.

those "people" are called "non-tuners". someone who wants a reliable car w/ no problems
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

Fastest slow gt Lts 05GT has not yet proved knowledgeable Lts 05GT's Avatar

I was just at the dealership today and I had the same question. If you read the brochure pamphlet closely it says that the only model sulev(132hp) comes in is the automatic, so if it is a 5 speed its a ulev(138 hp), if its an auto it might be the sulev, check under the hood at that point.

Newbie Dave666Thomas has not yet proved knowledgeable

I have the SULEV on my 04 gls, its stamped SULEV just above the engine cover.

Ultimate Post Whore sed has not yet proved knowledgeable sed's Avatar

have a nice day

shawn

Newbie dpok69 has not yet proved knowledgeable dpok69's Avatar

When i first bought the car i did not realize the engine came in two configurations, so i ended up with the sulev here in nyc. Boy was i pissed off when i found that out. .

I wonder what they did to detune it. Is it just the ecm chip? i plan on adding an turbo kit next year anyway, but i still would like my missing HP back in the meantime.

Junior Member andyny has not yet proved knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by dpok69
    When i first bought the car i did not realize the engine came in two configurations, so i ended up with the sulev here in nyc. Boy was i pissed off when i found that out. .

I wonder what they did to detune it. Is it just the ecm chip? i plan on adding an turbo kit next year anyway, but i still would like my missing HP back in the meantime.
    I do not think you had any choice here in NYC. I have a 2005 with it and it faster than my 2002 without it. The engine is fine, contribute to clean air.

Former Jeep Owner Raptor26 has not yet proved knowledgeable Raptor26's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: sulev or ulev?

Upstate NY offers the ULEV, but only in the 5 Speed GT. Al GLS's up this way only come in automatic, and only as SULEV. As for what makes them an SULEV, look to a more restrictive throttle body, and slightly different ECU programming. It's all undoable. But if you live near Canada, like I do, and are moving to California (like the wife and I are), you may not want to change it until after you get it smogged. There's a small bit of legislature that I heard about that may require SULEV on all cars after 2005 in CA. Not sure if it's true. Just a word of caution.

Poster God Codenomics has not yet proved knowledgeable Codenomics's Avatar

so is changing the throttle body gonna make it ilegal (CA)?

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

No unless it throws a CEL. Probably. If it doesn't throw a CEL then it nobody should be able to figure it out.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

The SULEV has a different cat on the manifold, thats more expensive by 400 bux or so. The TB show to be the same part number?.. Did they add something to it to make it more restrictive? I know in 03 the TBs are different because the 03 SULEV had cvvt. Also the SULEV's ecm lists for almost a dollar more than the non-SULEV ecm, lol
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

+ Reply to Thread