[XD2] Supercharger Questions
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supercharger Questions

Junior Member KDM Mods has not yet proved knowledgeable KDM Mods's Avatar

Default Supercharger Questions

Hello guys. This might be a bit long so buckle up.

I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS sedan. It's and auto by the way. I bought it in June of 2015 with 18,400 miles as my first car. It's never seen snow before which is rare for a Minnesota car. It's in storage right now until April. It now has 21,500 miles. It's a really nice car and I love it and I want it to be a RELIABLE car for many years. But as most car enthusiasts, it would be nice to have a little bit more power under the hood. I've been saving my money since summer time and I have $2500 saved up as of the end of February. By April I hope to have $3000. Now as I put in caps I want the car to be reliable and to last at least another 10 years easy. Now I thought about a turbo but that seems expensive and plus you have to get it tuned and all that and it might not be a reliable anymore. Then I thought "hey maybe there's a supercharger available" well I saw a thread on Elantraxd of someone who put a supercharger on there Elantra. Link http://www.elantraxd.com/forums#/top...ge=1&_k=izqmdi I found a alpine beta II supercharger on ebay for $1299 but it doesn't come with everything I need. Link https://www.ebay.com/itm/121822830376 Is it pretty much a bolt on system for the most part? Do I need the injectors? Where do I get a longer belt for it? Where do I get replacement parts or just anything for it? Let me know what you think. It would be really nice if it was just a bolt on system and there wasn't any tuning or an intercooler needed. Also do I have enough money to do a supercharger? I don't want to ruin this car. It's so perfect and I don't want to do anything dumb with it that would make it unreliable. Thanks guys!

Also here is a picture of my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KDM Mods; 02-27-2017 at 04:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

cluless!!!!! ilanpro can identify a wrench ilanpro's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharger Questions

2.0 superchargers suck, soon as the car get hot they loose performance you will need a 5th injector and a a piggyback to drive that 5th injector, they sound cool but the only one I have seen was not impressive. if you can add an ice box maybe worth it
    NGM was making on but I do not know what happen to them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PO82TdRykc

Quote Originally Posted by ilanpro View Post
    2.0 superchargers suck, soon as the car get hot they loose performance you will need a 5th injector and a a piggyback to drive that 5th injector, they sound cool but the only one I have seen was not impressive. if you can add an ice box maybe worth it
    NGM was making on but I do not know what happen to them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PO82TdRykc
    Ok so my guess is you don't recommend it. Is there a cheap reliable way to put a turbo on it? I just really wish I didn't have to tune it. I don't know if a dyno in my area. Is there anyway to run a supercharger without an intercooler and a tune? I don't mind switching out injectors to get more fuel. I'm not looking for big power gains just something to add a little grunt. I know it probably isn't very cost effective. I'm just a noob when it comes to force induction.

I just really want something that's bolt on that doesn't require tuning or an intercooler and will keep the car just as reliable as it already is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Junior Member Clayton_G4 has not yet proved knowledgeable Clayton_G4's Avatar

If you're wanting 100% reliability leave it stock and buy a different car.
    Any forced induction will require tuning with either a piggyback ECU (AEM F/IC) or a standalone ECU (Megasquirt).
    If you have no experience working on cars then you don't want to jump into such a huge project.
    You can easily get a Miata or a Civic for $3,000. They are much easier to work on and have a considerably larger aftermarket.

Boosted 05 Elantra GT

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_G4 View Post
    Any forced induction will require tuning with either a piggyback ECU (AEM F/IC) or a standalone ECU (Megasquirt).
    If you have no experience working on cars then you don't want to jump into such a huge project.
    You can easily get a Miata or a Civic for $3,000. They are much easier to work on and have a considerably larger aftermarket.
    Well I'm probably just going to listen to you guys but I have one last question about the supercharger. Am I able to just bolt the one I'm looking at on with no other mods needed? For instance, I have a 98 Toyota 4Runner and trd made a bolt on supercharger for it. All you need to do is bolt it on and add a longer belt and your making more power. Can I do that with this alpine beta II or is it completely different?

yeah turbo on a NA turbo car is a learning curve, if you stay around 5lbs of boost you do not need a piggy back, but boost is the worst drug ever, I blew 2 motors at 18lbs of boost and a spike leaning the tune and boom if you can stay around 5lbs should be no problem

Default Supercharger Questions

yeah turbo on a NA turbo car is a learning curve, if you stay around 5lbs of boost you do not need a piggy back, but boost is the worst drug ever, I blew 2 motors at 18lbs of boost and a spike leaning the tune and boom if you can stay around 5lbs should be no problem
    Ok. So I'm sure you looked at the supercharger on the eBay. What else do I need to buy? I know I need a bigger belt but I have no clue where to get anything? Do I need to upgrade anything with fuel or do I just put it on and I'm good to go? I emailed alpine and asked them a few questions on it. I only know of one ore two people who have put this supercharger on there Elantra but that was back in 2004 or 2005 and they probably sent active on the forum anymore. Like I said, I'm not looking to make tons of boost or hp I'm just trying to give the car a little be of a grunt while keeping it reliable. I know it's not very cost effective but I don't really care lol. I know I'm asking a lot of questions. Thanks for your feedback

Last edited by KDM Mods; 02-28-2017 at 09:17 PM.

you can try Jattus I don't know if he still doing it
    http://www.jattus.com/cartview.php?id=2

you can try Jattus I don't know if he still doing it
    http://www.jattus.com/cartview.php?id=2
    I want the supercharger not a turbo lol

is your money I wouldn't buy the SC is a waste.

is your money I wouldn't buy the SC is a waste.
    Ok. But tell me the truth, a turbo would be more expensive and would make the car less reliable right?

the turbo from jattus is around 2K no intercooler keep it around 8lbs of boost and you should be ok

the turbo from jattus is around 2K no intercooler keep it around 8lbs of boost and you should be ok
    Ok thanks for all your feedback. I might just trash forced induction and just do as much as I can naturally aspirated. I'll see what happens here in the next few months. Thanks again

Enthusiast Curtis has not yet proved knowledgeable Curtis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_G4 View Post
    Clayton has a very good point. The G4GC has a strong block but there's no real aftermarket support. Most of your parts will have to be custom made

Forged pistons and rods alone set me back over $1100 AUD

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Clayton has a very good point. The G4GC has a strong block but there's no real aftermarket support. Most of your parts will have to be custom made

Forged pistons and rods alone set me back over $1100 AUD
    Yea. My thought was that I was like run high boost then I would bet need stronger parts. But I'm going to keep in naturally aspirated for now and just get headers and a cold air intake.

+ Reply to Thread