Car stalled because of ETACS...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car stalled because of ETACS...

Ninja Super Mod KeWLKaT knows a lot about Elantras KeWLKaT's Avatar

Default Car stalled because of ETACS...

Alright,

Some of you may remember the mirror problem I had and which was diagnosed as the ETACS being corroded... Because of diverses problems (insurance, warranty, time, etc...) I couldn't have it changed yet.

Today, my door light (the red one on the bottom) kept staying on while coming back from work. Thinking that it might drain my battery, I decided to take the bulb out. So, I park the car, get my tools, by the time I come back, the light isn't on anymore. I press the unlock button and my car lights don't flash, the doors don't open. I open it up with a key and thank god the alarm didn't come on.

I try to start the car, doesn't work, the alarm comes on. I take the key out and the alarm stops as soon as it is out of the starter.

Dealer is closed (Saturday), car will stay parked for at least 2 days until monday...

I am pretty sure that the ETAC corrosion screwed everything up... Any thoughts on this?

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Not such a Newbie 2004ElantraGLS has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Re: Car stalled because of ETACS...

I don't even know what the ETAC is, but my passenger door light has been flickering on and off for about 6 months now. Sometimes it stays on for several minutes...other times it just flickers with each thump of the bass. If I reach across and pull the door closed tighter, the light goes out. I thought it was just a problem with the sensor in the door....but maybe it's this ETAC thingy.
    2004 Elantra GLS
    5-speed

I/H/E, Powerchip, TB Bypass, Shortened Shifter, Slave Cylinder Mod, Fidanza Flywheel, Stage 3 Clutch, SpringTech Lowering Springs, 19.2mm Rear Swaybar, Falken Rims and Tires, NGK Iridiums

There is a TSB for it....

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into webtech, site isn't working for me, so I can't show you

My car is broken!!!!!

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

12V fanatic southpawboston has not yet proved knowledgeable southpawboston's Avatar

just for the record, the ETACS is the electronic module that controls the keyless entry, alarm, most lighting, the power windows, and a few other electrical things. it is located in the dash behind the HVAC controls. the problem is NOT with the ETACS getting corroded. the problem is with the door wiring harness connector in the A-pillar getting corroded. many of the wires do hook into to the ETACS, so the corrosion in the connector can be causing shorts which screw up the ETACS functions. but the ETACS is not the problem here, the door wires getting corroded is the problem.

here is the direct link to the TSB on webtech.
    Last edited by southpawboston; 03-13-2005 at 12:11 AM.
    2006 Mazda3 S Touring 5-dr

oops, my bad

but i really appreciate the direct link, because the rest of the site doesnt seem to be working.

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Ultimate Post Whore slow 2K2GT knows about Elantras slow 2K2GT's Avatar

I know im offtopic here but my clock is flickering all the time, could this be the cause

12V fanatic southpawboston has not yet proved knowledgeable southpawboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT
    I know im offtopic here but my clock is flickering all the time, could this be the cause
    unlikely. but the flickering clock has been noted by other elantra owners as well. it may just be a loose connection, but chanced are the clock itself is bad and the dealer will probably replace it under warranty.

UPDATE: Alright, car will go to the dealer tomorrow morning at around 7 o'clock. Since I can't get an appointement over the week-end, I have no idea until when it will chill at the dealership, but it sure sucks to not have a car in hand.

Wish her luck

UPDATE #2: It will go tomorrow, had some warranty issues, now it is all resolved.
    Last edited by KeWLKaT; 03-14-2005 at 11:10 AM.

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Alright, car just went in, they couldn't give me any timeframes so I was able to negociate myself a courtesy car

Damn Accent, soooo slowww, but very light, I understand that the ones who swap beta engines into them must be very fast!

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

Yup, I miss the lightness of my '96 Accent GT, but I don't miss the lack of acceleration and lack of interior space.

I'm very curious to hear what the dealer ends up doing to your car... Please followup once you get it back.

I just got off the phone with the dealer.

1500CAD=>1250USD

Bye bye eibachs and custom exhaust set-up for this summer.

I'm so friggin pissed though, the thing is, I have third party warranty and my guy was supposed to call them and (kinda) lie to them about what happened to my car in order to get it covered. IGNORANT STUPID SERVICE TECH called the company instead of him and mentionned ''corrosion'', and they told him it's not covered. My guy was on break at the time, which is why the others called. I'll wait until he gets back and will beg him to try and fix things. Wish me luck.

On the other hand, apparently my wiring harness wasn't only corroded, but actually caught fire.

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

Wow - caught fire?!?! I'd think that would be covered! You might want to search the web and see if perhaps there was an unofficial recall for that. The dealer might not even know about that.

I could understand if the connector melted from the extra heat generated by the resistance where it corroded, but corrosion at a harness connector shouldn't cause the harness itself to catch fire.

Sounds like it's time to take a trip to your friendly local junkyard and scavenge parts from a totalled XD if your dealer hasn't already fully disassembled/disabled yours.

On the upside, though, I'm glad to hear it didn't burn up the whole car or cause it to break down in the middle of nowhere with you in it!
    Last edited by kylemorg; 03-15-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Wow...

Don't worry thought, it's the same TSB, and they didn't give me more info about what exactly happened. Also, 3 year warranty is gone, so it isn't covered by anything anymore.

Anyhow, my mom is now involved in this, and wow, she is a scary woman when you're the seller and she's the angry customer. I hope she will be able to fix things up for me, because it seems like everytime I talk to someone over there a t the dealer they see nothing else but the ''little kid'' that I am, you know what I mean?

We are at a point where we're thinking about legal actions, not intended towards the Hyundai dealer tough (we're not American ), but towards the place where I bought the car. Considering they've been to court a few times for their vehicles and usually lose, I think we could pull it off.

Wow, did I just say that? I must be going insane. Sorry, but all of this BS caused because of this damn car is pissing me off.

Screw this.

I'm over with it. I think I will sell the car, it's causing too many damn problems. Around 2000$ In the first 5 months. Wow. Even my piece of **** '91 cavalier didn't have me spending this much. Screw it, it's over.

Unless I get this for free, I'm OUT.

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

just remembered this thread, and here i am a year after (minus 4 days).

Well, afterwards, things got better and I didn't have to shell out a single dollar.

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Rollin in my 2.0 -LOL- stussy2870 has not yet proved knowledgeable stussy2870's Avatar

LOL- i was wondering what was going on with this....more specifically- you mentioned Eibachs and we have already talked about how good your combo is...I was like jeez- now what do ihave to buy
    2006 MazdaSpeed6 2.3l Turbo AWD 274hp/280tq Beast
    2001 XD gone but not forgotten

Ultimate Post Whore 05xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 05xd's Avatar

I got looking at the dates of this thread and was like WTF?Things weren't adding up correctly til I saw it was from last year.Duh!
    It's a good thing that you didn't have to pay for it.I've done a couple of these harnesses before and am glad I haven't seen another one since.
    Expect the unexpected.....................

Full Member acarzt has not yet proved knowledgeable

was this problem at all similar to what happened in this thread... http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12697 ?

If this is a problem multiple people are having, Hyundai needs to do something about it....
    w00t! I finally have more mods than my signature will allow me to list!

different problem, the one in the link seems like a more severe problem than the ETACS corrosion problem.

Back from the dead!!!!

6 years later after a full replacement of the door harness, well, my car is going at it again... The dreaded syndromes are back. Today my pass. side mirror went up by itself, and my pass. side door light would only dim when closed, always staying on. I just thought to myself "not this goddamn problem again". I really don't feel like dealing with this again! So I "insert amount of days here" I am expecting my car to refuse to unlock and the anti-theft to be impossible to undo (have an aftermarket that is unknown that came with the car).

Took out the door panel and disconnected everything on the pass. side, will do something similar on the driver's side this weekend. I started looking at other car options lol I am fed up, and I am not shelling out a couple of grand to fix this POS (heh, can you tell how much I love my car right now). I don't feel like wiring this myself right now, and it is too cold to go to work with my motorcycle just yet.

Decisions decisions...

Anyone from the XD crowd had this problem lately?

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

how did the etac corrode to begin with? its hidden inside the dash under the radio...

+ Reply to Thread