Elantra + Kids - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elantra + Kids

Thumbs up Re: Elantra + Kids

I want to commend you on your choice of carseat. Britax is by far the best in safety seats for childre. I own a Britax Maratho,n roundabout a star rise booster, and a graco snugride (unfortunately i couldn't see spending 200 on an infant carrier which would be used for uch a short time). I'm SO glad I found this thread. I am looking to take in one daycare child along with my 2 year old and 1 month old and was wanting to make sure I could fit in my kids marathon, roundabout and a third carseat (probably graco comfortsport or cosco touriva, since it's the slimmest seat) Can I ask you the arrangement of your seats to get the best fit?
    Last edited by Munkeesmama; 04-17-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: Elantra + Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Munkeesmama
    I want to commend you on your choice of carseat. Britax is by far the best in safety seats for childre. I own a Britax Maratho,n roundabout a star rise booster, and a graco snugride (unfortunately i couldn't see spending 200 on an infant carrier which would be used for uch a short time). I'm SO glad I found this thread. I am looking to take in one daycare child along with my 2 year old and 1 month old and was wanting to make sure I could fit in my kids marathon, roundabout and a third carseat (probably graco comfortsport or cosco touriva, since it's the slimmest seat) Can I ask you the arrangement of your seats to get the best fit?
    I found out what we have.. actually went and looked. Wife pics them after alot of research. The two marathons sit forward facing behind the seats, the other seat sits rear facing in the middle.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

Thanks. I would like to sit my son back rearfacing so he may have to go on the passenger side back seat and i may have to put my daughter rearfacng (of course) in the middle and the other seat (whatever it ends up being behind the driver. uggh..we shall see. i guess I will have to play around with it a bit to get the best fit.

Another Wannabe CPST... Myztri has not yet proved knowledgeable

Hey. I am Myztri, Wytch's wife.. I thought I would check the thread out and reply to add additional info.

Currently we have two forward facing marathons and a rear facing Fisher Price Stay-in-view infant carrier (anti rebound base).
    We can however, fit a third marathon rear facing in the middle, and i know a woman who got them 3 across forward facing.
    To correct something, the seats touching are not dangerous. It is good to have space between the door panel and the seat, becasue that is added buffer room in an impact, however, it is not dangerous for them to be touching the sides of the doors, or each other, as long as they do not compress the plastic in any way.
    That said, also, when installing rearfacing, bracing the seat against the seat in front of it is a reccomended practice, especially in a britax that is tethered... hence the method name.. brace and tether.
    That said, three side by side bracing each other is a good thing. It makes up for the margin of user error, being that 80-90% of all carseats are installed wrong. The biggest mistake aside from harness adjustments is the side to side motion of a belt that is too loose. the seats being tight in there stops that potential movement (however i garantee that mine have no movement individually- as i have had them checked by a certified child passenger safety tech- as well as studying to take the exam myself).

Anyway.. just random info there.

munkeesmama- touriva is a GREAT seat... the only crapco seat i would use.
    I am dropping a link for everyone of a flyer of carseat usage, just to backup anything i may or may have not said.. and i am sure at some point, someone will find it useful, as well a a pic of our 3 side by side. To be honest, the best fitting arrangement would be the two rearfacings outboard with the forward facer in the middle. You want the child who is most protected in an accident, which would be the rearfacing ones, outboard, and the one with the least protection in the middle.

http://diversecultures.com/board/car...arseatinfo.pdf
    edited- for the pdf format flyer.

Kay is in the foreground in an Ashly Floral Marathon, Chandler is in the middle in the Stay-in-View, and Anthony is in the background in a cowmooflage Marathon. All tethered and installed with seatbelts, with the exception of the infant seat, which of course cannot be tethered... the only seat that can be tethered rear facing is, obviouslly, a britax (roundabout or marathon).
    Why a britax you may wonder... They extra testing, the better materials, and the higher weight limit, both rear and forward facing. a Britax roundabout and marathon can both rearface to over 30 lbs. Roundabout forward faces to 40, like all other convertable seats, but the marathon harnesses to 65... and one step up, a husky harnesses to 80. The price is beyond worth it. especially when you consider a convertable seat costs you 120, then an 60 dollar booster when they outgrow the convertable... why spend all of that when you can just spend a few bucks more for a far superior seat..

This has been a post full of information that most of you probably dont give a flip about, but i felt compelled to post anyway. have a nice day
    Last edited by Myztri; 04-18-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Full Member AUTOBOT has not yet proved knowledgeable AUTOBOT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WytchDctr
    Im a little upset that you keep insulting me
    Come on now, I have not insulted you in anyway nor have I disrespected you. You and I go way too far back for you to truely believe that I did.
    Shops to trust for all your Hyundai needs:
    http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/ <--naturally
    http://www.teamsr.org
    http://www.motorimpact.com/
    http://kspec.com/
    http://speedstate.com/ (not to be mistaken for SpeedMotion)

Shops NOT to trust:
    HDK
    KORE aka SpeedMotion

I have my hat off to you! You sure do have them all in there nice and tight. I tried with my comfortsport, snugride, and marathon it was a no go. I will have to install my roundabout and head to BRU to see if i can squish in a touriva. luckily i don't HAVE to yet, but if i take in a daycare kid i would still like the freedom to go out and about.

Noob (play gunbound?) jayupark can identify a wrench

I like big butts and I cannot lie... XD got back!
    Memphis Blues
    2004 Elantra GT

computer illiterati slvrsleeper has not yet proved knowledgeable slvrsleeper's Avatar

Thats a great post Mzytri! I never would have guessed that three Britax seats would fit in the Elantra. My wife absolutely must not read this post or I will end up with three kids instead of two! LOL
    Why is it that I can say "*******" in my sig, but I can't say "James is an *******" in my post?

Another Wannabe CPST... Myztri has not yet proved knowledgeable

Thats how I got Wytch to let me have another - sort-of.

lol i'm still trying to fit our two marathons and a third seat. no such luck yet! almost though. then to working on hubby for our third.hehe

Junior Member DanMan has not yet proved knowledgeable DanMan's Avatar

When I was looking for a second vehicle when we needed more room we considered the Subaru Legacy, the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Matrix and finally settled on the Elantra. Big *** back seat made all the difference and leg room. It's been amazing. I currently have two car seats, one safety 1st and another Cosco alpha omega. It works! I can probably manage an adult in the middle but they may not want to be between a 5 yr old and an 19 month.

wooohoo. i got 3 in as well. they are as follows, britax marathon rearfacingf and tethered installed with latch behind drivers seat. graco snugride with base. installed with lap/shoulder belt in the middle. cosco tourive, forward facing installed with lap/shoulder belt passenger seat.
    Attached Images

Senior Member 2001GLS has not yet proved knowledgeable

One down side is the XD doesn't fare nearly as well in side impact situations in the rear seats which lack the side airbags. Good to know you can haul 3 kids back there if necessary but if you only have one I'd highly recommend you put them in the center seat position to give as much safety cushion as possible in the event of a side impact.

Side airbags wouldn't do much for a car seat. They are designed to have there own impact absorbtion from the sides. Atleast the britaxs are designed and tested for that. I can't say about the others since it is not a required test.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

+ Reply to Thread