Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Fram vs Purolator - Oil Filter Comparison

37K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  zx2uner 
#1 · (Edited)
Check this out people... I wanted to see what the differences were between the fram filters I was originally testing out vs the Purolator ...

both filters have a 55 mm ID on the rubber seal... and the thread is identical .. the original stock purolator filter is part # L14459 ... the bigger one shown here has the same casting on the flange, but has a part # of L24458 ... :)

The purolator is 95 mm tall, and the fram is only 50 mm tall ... LOL thats almost DOUBLE the length !! WOW !

The Outer diameter of the fram is 61mm, but the Purolator has a 79 mm OD ! SWEET !

I think the pictures speak for themselves... I am currently using the purolator filter !!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
How about comparing that to the OEM filter?
Although the beta works with the aftermarket filters:

I do know that the theta engine does not like aftermarket filters. I took a 2 day class on the 06 Sonata and with both the 2.4 theta and 3.3 V6 lambda engines, aftermarket filters only make the engine a paperweight. So far with the testing, the engine turns to junk after 5 blocks after an oil change.

#7 ·
LOL....I've definately been changing my oil. Come to think about it, I've been using the Purolator for 9000 miles. And I use Royal Purple Full Synthetic 5w30. For the last 4000 miles or so, I've been babying the car a lot. At first the clutch was going bad, now the new clutch needs to Break-In. Once these 500 miles are up though, all bets are off :)

Back to the Purolator, though. When I change my filter, I always take the new one and pour in some fresh oil. Then wait a while and pour in some more. The filter element will continue to soak up oil 3 or 4 times, then I fill it up to where I can tilt it and screw it on without any oil spilling out. It's amazing how much more oil the Purolator can hold compared to the Fram. I know it's much bigger but still.

Regards,
Axel

#9 ·
in the honda world, it was reccomended that people only use OEM honda filters because they would filter out particles much smaller than what alot of the aftermarket filters do.

that wouldnt be something you could tell by cutting it open.

#10 ·
You could just get one of those magnets and stick it to the bottom of the filter. That will help trap a lot of those tiny little metal pieces.

#13 ·
tharptroy said:
in the honda world, it was reccomended that people only use OEM honda filters because they would filter out particles much smaller than what alot of the aftermarket filters do.

that wouldnt be something you could tell by cutting it open.
Funny thing is, Honda has 2 different OEM filters, one made by Nissin (no not Nissan) and the other is a re-badged Fram.

The 24458 is a great upgrade to the 24459. Identical except for the length. Much, much, much, much better than the Fram recommended 6607 or the oversized 7317. Just remember, you will need to add a bit more oil with the larger filter. I have a Purolator that I am going to be using on my Tucson and will cut it apart to campare to the OEM. One thing you can tell by cutting them apart is how much filter media there is. A smaller filter can contain more sq inches of filter media than a taller one depending on how the media is arranged. OEM is about 123 sq inches.

Here is the OEM cut apart

#14 ·
Numerical clarification

The stock sized filter is #14459, not 15549 or 24459.

I'm on my second 24458. Unfortunately, I tossed the first one without thinking about cutting it open. If no one else does is before, I'll cut open this one and measure the element area when I do my next oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.