Well, it has come down to the final days before I decide on what to do about the new turbo kit plans.
Here are my options..
1. Buy the alpine turbo kit stage zero, non-intercooled.
2. Buy the kspec turbo manifold and then finish the kit with ebay parts.
3. Speed-factor: PM'ed Tim, no reply so forget it ...
If i go with the alpine kit, it will have basically everything I need included with it. I already spoke to Alpine and they told me that they will sell me the kit without the unichip for a reduced cost since I will be using my own fuel tuning.
If i go with the kspec turbo manifold, I have several choices like:
1. t3 manifold for turbos with a built-in wastegate ( will a turbo fit without the wastegate actuator hitting my coolant lines ? )
2. t3 manifold for a t3 turbo that relies on an external wastegate.
I like option 2 here because I've read that you can easily change the wastegate springs on the external wastegates to ensure that boost is set to whatever you want. The problem is that external wastegates are harder to hook up because you have to run a pipe from the wastegate to the downpipe (unless you vent it to the atmosphere).
I like option 1 because its cheeper overall but its harder to tune the max boost unless you have some way to modify the wastegate springs ...
Anyway, I want to try to put this kit together for under $ 2000 non-intercooled at first, and then I plan to add an eclipse-style side-mount intercooler that will be hidden in the drivers side fender where the factory resonator used to be ...
1. Buy a complete ebay civic turbo kit with a t3 setup.
2. Buy the Kspec turbo manifold to match it with either the internal or exteranl wastegate setup.
3. customize the parts and add anything that is missing to completely adapt it to my XD ..
I can get a complete honda turbo kit NEW for anywhere between $ 999 and $ 1500. with a good turbo and a bunch of parts and even a huge front-mount intercooler included ! These kits mostly come from SSAutochrome but there are a few people who have the original NEW Greddy turbo kit for about $1399. the Greddy kits even come with injectors and the E-Manage system (but I don't really care for those things anyway).
What do you all think ?