Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Is this a Brake Noise? (Thumping in Trunk)

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kylemorg 
#1 ·
I've got a real head-scratcher here for those of you who'd like to take a stab at it: When idling at a stop light or even after putting my '01 Elantra in Park and pulling up the emergency brake, I sometimes hear a series of noises from the rear of the car. It sounds as if someone is trying to escape from my trunk—ta-dump, ta-thump, da-thunk! On one hand, when I am at a stop light I can make the thumping sound go away by pressing harder on the brake pedal. On the other hand, when I take my foot OFF the brake pedal after pulling into my driveway and putting the car into Park with the e-brake up, I sometimes also hear the noise. When it happens in my driveway, the thumping noises are loud enough to catch the attention of anyone standing nearby. It can go on for up to a minute before it dies out.

I can't seem to figure out if the noise points to a problem with the rear disc brake pads, calipers, ABS system, rotors, rear struts, brake cylinder(s), emergency brake or even the exhaust muffler. I don't notice any braking problems or suspension issues (although on the front end my car has already had a few odd problems including two new front struts and a new engine mount). Because I can't reproduce the rear thumping noise for my dealer, this has gone on now for four years! If I continue to do nothing—because I can't get anyone at my dealer to troubleshoot a problem they can't reproduce—am I potentially putting myself or other drivers in danger?

Thanks in advance for your help. Also, has anyone else had this problem? :confused:

See less See more
#4 ·
Do you happen to have the all-wheel disc brakes, too (non ABS models had rear drums, at least back in '01).

The cat sounds like a good place to check. I asked my dealer once to check the exhaust, but I have no idea what the dealer mechanic actually did to investigate. It's still an unsolved mystery…

#5 ·
sorry to go off topic here but i couldnt resist. . . lolol im cracking up here cause i read your title and(just realized that what im about to say isnt as funny as it is in my head but who cares i already started) instantly though . . . its probably that person you kidnapped. . . see, not as funny . . . its just one of those thoughts thats hillarious only in your head and only to you . . . hehe, oh well sorry bout that

#8 ·
Is the car moving at all when this sound occurs? If not then it's not a brake noise. Try to reproduce the sound while you have someone else walk around the vehicle...

#9 ·
I wonder if something under the car is loose and banging against the body (no... the body of the car not the one in the trunk;)). It could be that the muffler hangers are loose or something like that.

Try ricerrx7's suggestion, except have the other person push down on the rear bumper to bounce the car and see if you can reproduce the sound.

#11 ·
Wow I thought no one else had this problem my old 03 GT use to make a similar noise in the rear ( dealer never heard it though I brought it in 4 times cause yes it is loud) But it only made the noise when I turned the car off or came to a stop more when I turned it off it kinda sounded like a pump noise to me I dont know if that is what is causing your noise just thought I would share.

GTsmokeya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.