Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Replacing kia optima 2.4 timing belt and head

22K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  only1db 
#1 ·
Long story short I need to know how hard it is to replace the timing belt and head on a dohc 2.4 litre kia optima. Have any of you guys had any expierence with it, or have any pointers to share with me? I see it has two belts one timing and one for the balance shaft and the kit comes with three tensioners so I will need to replace those I suppose.

Thanks in advance, AJ

#4 ·
2.4L sirius. It's basically a Mitsu 2.4L. Not that hard to work on. Log on to www.hmaservice.com and look up a 2001 Sonata and it will give you all the info you need.

#6 ·
And they say I never help anyone! :abovelol:

#8 · (Edited)
JUST DO NOT LET THE CAMS SLIP!!!! if they slip and twirl...you might bend a valve. i've seen it done. there are special tools to hold the cams together...i personally use 2 17mm wrenchs on the bolts and them clamp them together with a set of vice grips.

you also have to make sure the oil pump shaft if in time as well....its a pita if you have not done one before...and also watch out for the crank position senso...if you put the plate on backwards or mess with the sensor at all...you will be taking it all apart again!

not one of my favorites...but better then the XG

#9 ·
If its just like the mitsubishi, it's quite easy. I just did a 97 galant timing belt/balance shaft belt this past week. Everything went quite easy with the exception of the auto tensioner. If it has an automatic tensioner, GET A NEW ONE.

Also, if its like a mitsubishi then do yourself a favor and pull out the bolt next to the oil pump sprocket and insert a long philips screwdrive into it. It'll keep the oil pump drive from turning when you go to put the timing belt on, since it spins freely. Other than that, it's a fairly straight forward and easy job.

#11 ·
Eric drove down to Salisbury with the overdrive off. I got in the car to drive everyone to lunch and noticed it was off. He said it was off so he left it off. I wonder what RPMs he was running at 70 MPH in 3rd? :eek:

I guess it's a testament to the engine's durability and your work. Take a little something from petty cash today. :D

#12 · (Edited)
Geez, 3rd gear at 70mph? Not only was he turning that motor hard he was wasting some serious gas, but I bet it moved when he went to pass someone!

Yeah that may get it into time, but won't keep it from moving when you go to put the belt on.

#13 ·
I have a DOHC lock tool so I will just line up the marks and use that tool to lock the cams in place. The kit comes with new belts and tensionor and thanks for the tips on the oil pump I was wondering about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.