Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Magic Extra Power!

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  KeWLKaT 
#1 ·
So im driving about a week ago and i started to notice that the car felt a little more spry then usual. Then about a day later i notice i can hear the engine rather loudly from inside the car. im sure i didnt notice right away because i often play music at a moderate level.

Now that its been like 2 weeks the car is flippin LOUD! and all the sound comes from the underside of the front of the car. it sounds like one heck of an exhaust leak. would that in face make the car seem a little zippier also? i assume so, but am so dumb with anything other then audio i figured id post this.. it gets so loud at times im starting to think it almost sounds like i disconnected the exhaust lol, and i would assume that would free up a few horses..

#2 ·
it would depend on where the leak is. If its up front like you're saying then no because the engine NEEDS backpressure to make good power. Drive a stock elantra with JUST a downpipe on it and you'll know what i'm talking about.

any cels?

#3 ·
Placebo effect. Sounds louder and more powerful, so brain thinks it is. Even if it did make a difference and you gained 5hp from the exhaust not being restrictive, you're not going to feel 5hp in the car by the time it hits the pavement.

Check cats, and connections, but you know that.

#4 · (Edited)
yeah well i wouldnt know about the cel, cause i threw a cell about 2 months ago for an o2 sensor. dealer took forever getting it in, then when they did i was too busy to get it installed. they told me not to worry about it and just keep driving until i could make it in. well now thats it been months im tryin to get in this or next week casue 1. im tired of the cel, and 2. now i have an exhaust leak.

Its possible something else went wrong, but since i had the cel already lit who knows..

cypher i dont know **** about engines/combustion/pressure etc. but if you say so i believe you :D

and yeah could be the placebo effect indeed at this point. the sound does have alot to do with it i admit. But for the first 1-2 days or so i really thought the car felt a tiny bit quicker, and that was before i even heard the leak at all. and im not talking about a ton faster or anything, i just mean it seemed to pull a few hills i drive up to go to work each day a tiny bit better.

#11 ·
...i really thought the car felt a tiny bit quicker, and... i just mean it seemed to pull a few hills i drive up to go to work each day a tiny bit better.
It could have been that they just switched methanol / gasoline mixtures at the last station where you filled up, and you've got a better mix than the car was running on recently.

#6 ·
yes and no?

in reality .. no.. .i had a leak because of the flex pipe not being attached quite right... and BIG POWER LOSS.. zomfg...

however.... gunning the engine into 5500 rpm's just to get to 40mph onto the freeway = feels faster when it shifts ! (slushbox.. sorry)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.