Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

First failure due to supercharger...

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Mahonroy 
#1 ·
Nothing major, luckly, but here's the story:

It was a beautiful day here in Pittsburgh yesterday, and I knew that the actuator on the bypass valve on the S/C was sticking a bit. I wasn't getting full boost under load. So I got a can of graphite lubricant and freed up the bypass valve actuator. I was then getting full boost.

I took the car out for a spin -- there's a very steep, straight hill near my house that's excellent for doing fast 1st and 2nd gear runs to redline. First gear pulled fine (except for the piggyback tune still being sucky) all the way to redline. Second gear pulled great up to 60 mph, and then I heard a noise from under the hood and lost boost. At the top of the hill at the stop sign, I stopped and when I started again, I heard screeching from under the hood.

I pulled off at a park enterance and popped the hood. The crank / alternator / water pump / supercharger belt was loose, but I didn't immediately see why. I drove home ~1 mile carefully with all the electrical stuff off and popped the hood again. It turns out that the top bolt that goes through the belt tension adjustment unit, through the bracket and into the alternator housing snapped off!

The remaining threaded part of the bolt is still in the alternator housing, and I'll have to put the car up on ramps, pull the lower alternator bolt, lower the alternator, then get the threaded part of the top bolt out. Once I put it back together again and replace the top bolt, everything will be fine.

It sucked, since it was such a nice day and I'd gotten full boost again. I'd only had it out for about 10 minutes after fixing the boost actuator before the bolt snapped. :( I was looking forward to driving around a bit in the nice weather.

Today it's raining like crazy, so it'll probably be a couple of days before I get it fixed. At least it was nothing expensive.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch man, that sucks. At least it was nothing major. Try and get a grade 8 bolt or something stronger just in case.

#4 ·
^ It's the weakest link phenomenon -- the bolt was the weakest link in the belt system. If / when I put a higher grade bolt in there, something else might fail nex time due to the belt tension necessary to drive the S/C...

I was worried that I'd trashed the gears in the S/C drive, since I'm running a smaller pulley and was running under load at ~6250 RPM, but luckily the S/C gearing seems fine.

Boy, It was embarassing to drive home with screaching belts!

#5 ·
I feel your pain buddy, I hate it when anything goes wrong with my car...let alone is something is wrong and other people see or hear it. I was able to get my car out today in the nice weather and give'er a rip around, that was nice but I do worry with all the cold weather that at 17psi im going to run lean and KABOOM!

I have found a whole lot of weakest links in my car lately, the biggest being the trans. Good luck with your kit, enjoy it when and where you can!

#6 ·
i don't know crap about technical stuff, but i can understand loose belts and bolts snapping heh. That blows, but as you said, it could have been worse and a lot more $. so thats a +

#12 ·
^ That's good to know. I think the threads might be messed up in the aluminum alternator bolt hole. I was thinking of putting a bolt through with a nut on the other side of the alternator but I wasn't sure it would clear everything.

Thanks for the tip!

#17 ·
I lost the head of the bolt -- that's fell off with the part of the shaft, so I can't see what it was. :(

Could someone look at their bolt head that goes through the adjustment block and into the top screw hole in the alternator casting and let me know?

#21 ·
^ Interesting question. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hook the 1/8" tubing into the rubber boost line running to the "Turbo module". I don't want to have to drill and another hole in the boost side of the manifold.

From all accounts, I should be getting ~9 psi.

#24 · (Edited)
^ The problem is clearance. The port for the boost-side of the S/C manifold is on the bottom of the S/C unit and above the intake-to-cylinder head air tubes. I'll probably have to take the barbed fitting out, put in a 90° MPT to MPT angle, then a FPT Tee, then another MPT to barbed fitting for the turbo MAP on one side and an MPT to compression fitting for the 1/4" line to the gauge. It's a real ***** to get to the boost-side port.

That will wait until summer or at least until the weather is nicer this spring sometime.

Cypher -- I doubt I will dyno it, unless I have a shop do the final tune on the SMT-6. I am planning on taking it to a 1/4 mile strip when I'm done tuning and have the new 6 puck ACT clutch installed. That will probably be early summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.