Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Ahh crap, I used ATF-4 instead of Dexron III?

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cbogg 
#1 ·
I got confused at auto zone a couple months ago and instead of buying Dexron III compatible fluid, I bought ATF+4 on accident. I flushed out my friend's Elantra's power steering system. He has been driving for 30,000 miles on it so far. Is there a big difference between ATF and Dexron? I'm kind of nervous now because he moved to L.A. Can't believe I just caught this mistake last night while reviewing the boards here.

#4 · (Edited)
You might not have a problem, but you could. I have replaced transmissions with either ATF+III/IV and DexronIII/Mercon fluid in them. Not yet seen a power steering system fail with the wrong fluid.

#5 ·
yeah, there's no clutches or many plastic important parts in the steering system. unless you have something european that requires one of those funky mineral based fluids, you're fine. with these style systems it matters more that it has clean fluid, regardless of what it is, it should be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.