Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Lower control arm 2001 Elantra can't removed last frame blot

11K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  2002VE 
#1 ·
:eek:

Well I removed all but the last blot on the frame of the car.
This is one that is coved by the plastic mud flap.
This blot is the one nearest the front.
The head is fine but it turns and turns and does not back out.
I had heat on it BUT that did not do it.

Any ideas how to remove?

Thanks

#9 ·
Went and saw the dealer today.
They are going to replace the whole front frame :eek:
They think maybe another week or so.
I will inspect the frame to see why they did it .
I find it hard to believe it is just because of the one messed up nut.

Keep ya posted.

#10 ·
Hi, I'm new here.

I was under my car today trying to locate the source of a noise and found a bad front sway bar link. Anyway, beeing under there I looked at the rust since I want to apply some rust converter and and paint to help protect the frame. I was horrified to see that there is not only surface rust down there. The subframe (I think it's what's called the subframe) is completely rotted at some places:eek:

I had planned going to the dealer for the control arms recall, but now I see that even with new control arms, my car still won't be safe! I'm a student and can't afford to replace the subframe. I just installed 4 new struts and mounts, I bought a timing belt kit, water pump and crank pulley that I planned to install soon, and planned to do some other maintenance to have a car in great condition. Now I'm not sure if I should stop putting money in there and be forced to buy another car:confused:

I know there is a recall for the subframe on the sonata, but not on the elantra:(

Please, let me know what happens with your car. Did you still have any warranty ? Are they replacing the subframe free of charge even if it's not a recall on the elantra ? Did they simply offer it, or did you asked for it ?

Damned! I just go rid of my previous car last summer because the frame was dangerously rotten, and bought a newer car thinking I would have a couple years ahead without beeing too concerned by invasive frame rust. Guess not:hand: The problem is that the car was a 1987 Nissan Maxima! Yes, the car was 21 years old and in not much worse condition than this damned 7 years old hyundai!

If there is a slight chance that they will replace my subframe, I need to know it before going to the dealer for the control arms recall. I'm kind of scared to drive my car now:(

Attachments

#14 ·
Well the recall FINALLY came in the mail.
Friday Fed 2, 2010.

What took Hyundai sooooo Looooooooooooooong to send it?
I know it takes some time for dealers to get parts in
BUT
9 months
On a SAFETY issue like this!
Why so long HYUNDAI????????????????????

#16 ·
you dont even need the engine hoist to to do the subframe....the tranny and the other engine mount hold it in place. you want to be able to rock it back and forth to line up the bolts for hte other mounts .

glad it was taken care of...but i think theyhave been doing so many of them it took them awhile.

#19 · (Edited)
you dont even need the engine hoist to to do the subframe....the tranny and the other engine mount hold it in place. you want to be able to rock it back and forth to line up the bolts for hte other mounts .

glad it was taken care of...but i think theyhave been doing so many of them it took them awhile.

the hoist was just for safety.

It was 0 cost to me including the tow.
So I think Hyundai is GREAT on that put
BUT
why such a delay on mailing the recalls notes out????????????

Thanks for the bolt tip. I may need it someday.
good to hear they covered it, about the recall letter I got mine really late too, maybe just a Postal delay may not have been Hyundai, The dealer you purchased it at would also send you a letter as that is how I find out all the recalls, besides here of coarse, lol

Mark,

#20 ·
I just found that thread again, I had forgot to update on my situation. I called the dealer maybe in october, and it took a while to have the parts, so I got an appointment in late november or early december. Unfortunately, they did not replace my control arms, wich were still in acceptable condition, but they changed my subframe:clap:

I will probably eventually replace my control arms, but I can wait for a while. The subframe was really the big problem as I could not have changed it myself, and it would have costed way too much compared to the value of the car. Now with a brand new subframe, I know it will last for as long as the rest of the car will.

I brought an aftermarket power steering hose (pressure side only, could not find an aftermarket succion side) at the same time and had the dealer replace it, and they replaced the succion side also. I paid for the succion hose and for the labor, and also for the alignment required after the recall work. The subframe and labor related to the subframe was free.

So for all those that live in an area where the recall is effective, it's well woth a trip to the dealer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.