Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Engine light=Stuck in 3rd gear

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Poopsicle 
#1 ·
Wtfack, i had this problem since last years winter season... on my 01 GLS.

The rpms dont exceed 3000 and it drives like a golfcart from a complete stop, and when at around 50-60 MPH the revs reduce very slowly...(which is it being stuck in 3rd gear)

I took it to a local transmission shop and they said all they could find is changing the solinoids...which cost a good couple hundred bucks, but since they couldnt find out what was wrong and keeping my car for a couple weeks they didnt charge me...

Than i took it to a "known" (words from my family members) shop called "Harford Transmissions" and they told me a bunch of shtuff that didn't really sound legit to me, but not my decision (dads) he wanted to change the transmission computer which ran about 1200 bucks from the shop. And so my car worked for about a week, and the light was back.

Finally after about 3 months of bringing my car back and forth they finally fixed it (from what i know) from rewiring a whole bunch of crap and supposedly a wire came loose.
But i was driving earlier and the light came back on. Frustrated, i drove into a gas station turned my car off and turned it back on and the light went away.

Sorry for making this a long post, i just want to know if anyone knows why the 01 GLS would have this problem with the transmission? i just dont want this crap happening again..would rather fix it myself or at my uncles shop

Any input would be helpful and thanks for reading

See less See more
#2 ·
From the way you describe it, it sounds like a faulty sensor. And since im no expert in auto-trans, i dont know what sensor(s) could cause this. Im sure someone knows whats wrong.

#6 ·
The pulse generators can make the trans go in fail safe mode as well as a speed sensor; which tends to be the culprit on the XD.

I have found that most transmission shops do not know the Hyundai automatic very well. They tend to make faulty troubleshooting decisions which does not pinpoint the problem. Hyundai's is also known to be quite specific in the scan tool results if different scan tools are used other than the Hyundai version. My GDS gets different results than my friends generic scan tool on some codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.