Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Can someone explain P0113 to me??

33K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  garynangie 
#1 ·
P0113 Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor – high input Wiring open circuit/short to positive, ground wire defective,IAT sensor, ECM

what does this mean? should i worry about it? i'm about to make a trip home and i want to know that this is not a big deal...intake air temperature is too high. makes sense, sometimes my elantra doesn't respond to throttle as well as it should...

#2 ·
Did you put one of those "ebay mod chips" on your car? They alter the signal to the IAT sensor (and don't do anything good either). Depending on air temperature, the density of the air is different, and thus fuel is mixed "more or less quantity" to the air. If it's off, you're going to run rich or lean.

#4 ·
Its not saying the temp is to high its saying there is a short. Its either the wiring from the IAT to the ECM or the IAT went bad. The part is 40 bux from hyundaipartsonline.com and unless your as dumb as a brick you can change it yourself. If you dont know where/what it is Ill send you a pic to show you. One clip and two bolts and its out. 10min job if that.

P/n

#6 ·
Just an update. I wasn't able to find the sensor available through hyundaipartsonline.com. Seems it's not carried anymore. I called my local dealership today and the cost from them is $74.01.

Anyone work for a dealership that I could perhaps purchase it from you at cost + shipping or something? 74 bucks for a little sensor seems outrageous. If not, no big deal.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Before you spend the bucks grab a DMM (digital multimeter) and make sure your ground isn't shorted to positive, check your reference feed (positive) and make sure you have voltage... I think it's like 5 volts but i may be wrong. if those are bad you could look up the specs. for the IAT. or ask a dealer they may tell you.

#11 ·
Here is the Breakdown for the P0113 / P0112 IAT Issue. The IAT is built into the MAP ($54.99 at Autozone PN: SU6249) sensor. The 2002 Beta engine in Elantra was last year for a Speed Density EFI system. This system relies on MAP, TPS, CAM Position, and Coolant temp (and a few others) to make its Injection Calculations. In 2003, Hyundai went to a MASS Flow system which eliminates the MAP sensor. On '03 and later models, the IAT is built into the MASS AIR Sensor and must be replaced as a unit (~$300 to replace).

DTC P0112 OR DTC P0113
Code Definition
• DTC P0112: Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Input
• DTC P0113: Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

Circuit Description
The IAT sensor is built into MAP sensor. The MAP/IAT sensor is a variable resistor that changes resistance as intake air temperature changes. ECM uses MAP/IAT sensor signal to control fuel injector pulse width. When cold air is detected ECM will increase injector pulse width. When warm air is detected ECM will decrease injector pulse width.

Failure Conditions
ECM determines fault exists, sets DTC P0112 and turns the MIL when for 0.2 seconds during 2 drive cycles an air intake temperature of -49°F (45°C) is indicated by the MAP/IAT sensor. This check is made after at least 4 minutes and 10 seconds have passed since engine started and then idles for 30 seconds (with no fuel cut-off during a coast down). This code indicates a lower temperature is being read by the MAP/IAT sensor or ECM after the engine has been warmed up.

ECM determines fault exists, sets DTC P0113 and turns the MIL when for 0.2 seconds during 2 drive cycles an air intake temperature of 257°F (125°C) is indicated by the MAP/IAT sensor. This check is made after at least 4 minutes and 10 seconds have passed since engine started and then idles for 30 seconds (with no fuel cut-off during a coast down). This code indicates a higher temperature is being read by the MAP/IAT sensor or ECM after the engine has been warmed up.

Probable Cause
• Short to ground between ECM and IAT sensor.
• Open or short to voltage between ECM and IAT sensor.
• Short to each other in IAT circuits.
• Faulty IAT sensor.

Test Procedure
NOTE:
It is recommended that vehicle cool down overnight before starting
IAT sensor test procedure.

1. Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, verify DTC P0112 or DTC P0113 is set.

2. Ensure engine is cooled to ambient air temperature. Measure ambient air temperature. Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, read MAP/IAT sensor temperature. If MAP/IAT sensor temperature and ambient air temperature are not about the same, go to next step. If MAP/IAT sensor temperature and ambient air temperature are about the same, no problem is indicated at this time. Problem is intermittent or was repaired and DTCs were not cleared. Clear DTCs and ensure MAP/IAT sensor is operating properly.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect MAP/IAT 4-pin connector. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and MAP/IAT connector terminal No. 2 (Red wire). Voltage should be 4.5-5.0 volts. If zero volts exist, go to next step. If 4.5-5.0 volts exist, go to step 5.

4. Turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM 81-pin harness connector. See
Fig. 6. Measure resistance between ECM 81-pin harness connector terminal No. 44 and MAP/IAT sensor harness connector terminal No. 2 (Green wire). If resistance is one ohm or less, go to next step. If resistance is more than one ohm, repair open in wire between MAP/IAT sensor and ECM 81-pin harness connector terminal No. 44. When repairs are completed, clear DTCs and verify MAP/IAT operation.

5. Turn ignition off. Disconnect MAP/IAT connector and ECM 81-pin harness connector. Measure resistance between ECM 81-pin harness connector terminal No. 56 and MAP/IAT sensor harness connector terminal No. 3 (Gray wire). If resistance is more than one ohm, repair open between MAP/IAT harness connector terminal No. 3 (Gray wire) and ECM 81-pin harness connector terminal No. 56. If resistance is one ohm or less, ensure ECM connector terminals are clean and tight. If connector terminals are okay, replace MAP/IAT sensor with a known-good component. Clear DTCs and verify MAP/IAT sensor operation. If problem still exists, replace ECM. When repairs are completed, clear DTCs and verify MAP/IAT operation.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok so I ordered a new IAT from Autozone, 10.99, and it looks nothing like the one in the 2nd picture. Now that I've reread the above post a few times and I've actually absorbed the information (Thank you so much for posting) I see that I'd have to order the $54 MAP... DAMN thought I was off the hook for ten bucks hahaha.

This is what they (store dude) called the IAT: (Air Charge Temp Sensor?)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Air-Charge-Temperature-Sensor/_/N-jhih6Z9gsls

And this is yet another on the site, listed as the IAT on the website:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r+intake+temperature+snesor&fromString=search

This is why sometimes I love just calling the shop and saying "FIX IT PLEASE" lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.