My new ICE system [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: My new ICE system

2XDreme
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
OK - I've finally started fitting all my gear into my car now that alarm is installed

For those who don't know i have following items:

ALPINE CDA-9815 head unit
ALPINE DDLINEAR 6 1/2" splits
ALPINE DDLINEAR 6 1/2" rears
ALPINE MRV-F340 4 channel amp
ALPINE MRD-M1000 monoblock amp
ALPINE Type R 12" subs x 2
STINGER 1 farad capacitor
STINGER 0 gauge amp install kit

I started by installing new head unit yesterday
Well actually haven't finished yet as dash is still in 100 different pieces
While at it i pulled the cluster out and had look at bulbs - noticed lil green condoms on them so pulled them off but i think i might wait till tomorrow to get some new blue bulbs before putting back in

I'll post pic of new head unit when i get digital camera back prob later today
I still have a LOT more to put in yet so this will be a step by step kinda thread
Now i need to wait untill i have all cables before going any further - I need to buy 3 quality RCA leads and maybe a negative (-) power supply kit for good measure before pulling my interior right out for strategic installation :D

Anyway when i post pics of new headunit i'll write short para of how i installed it and so forth

only1db
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
good luck...install of a headunit is mad easy :D

2XDreme
06-14-2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah there not hard to instal - Just making sure everything lines up and enough clearance for the motorised face was my main concern but everything turned out fine

Here's pic of it fully installed
http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/v101/zextcy/zextcy/HU_off.jpg

And pic of it open inserting a CD
http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/v101/zextcy/zextcy/HU_open.jpg

Half photo's didn't turn out - Damn cheap cameras - so can't post install pics but i'll take some more pics when i put all the wires through as it will all have to come out again

This unit was a sinch to install though, all i did was pull the factory unit out and simply bolted the Alpine unit to factory cradle using there screws (different size than standard unit)
For wiring purposes i looked up the hma service website to find schematic for factory stereo plug and tapped into each wire with some proper wire tappers
The full time power lead though on these units are designed to draw 20 amps so there's NO way i was going to risk tapping that onto factory wiring so ran a seperate lead down to the fuse box where i connected it with the actual main power line coming from the battery which runs the whole car - I simply unplugged it from the fuse panel and puled the actual connector apart, from there i simply stripped around 10mm of plastic nsulation off the HU power wire and stuck it into the middle of the connector then re-assembled it back into it's original casing and plugged back into fuse panel

Prob sounds complicated but VERY straight forward actually
Sounds 150% better than factory unit with very crystal clear mids and highs

Next on the agenda is to install the RCA, power and speaker leads when i have them - Hopefully in week or two

only1db
06-14-2004, 06:52 PM
good looks....i was about to ask why your dash was going the other way! :hand: your in ausie!

2XDreme
06-15-2004, 08:13 AM
good looks....i was about to ask why your dash was going the other way! :hand: your in ausie!

:abovelol:

Yeah i'm from the lucky country
Don't know why where lucky but they say we are hehe

I'm very happy with way it looks except for one minor detail - Thinking of fixing this with a dremel though, just trying to decide if i want to hack the actual dash - Ohhh if you didn't guess the surround for the stereo won't fit at moment :D

only1db
06-15-2004, 07:12 PM
yeah so there is a little gap around the outside....better off just leaving it...unless it annoys you that much...i justleft mine it looks fine the way it is :nosthumbs

04 elantra cvvt
06-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Yep, the gap is still there on my car as well. If they don't know the car, nobody will ever even notice it.

WikiDCL
07-08-2004, 01:14 AM
hey are you happy with your subs? I have 2 type r subs ,with a 500watt mtx, a kenwood deck, but seems like they arent hitting hard enough,you know why?

2XDreme
07-08-2004, 05:15 AM
i haven't installed them yet but maybe you need more grunt behind them as they are rated at 1000W ea