Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

how can i paint my brakes

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  watson80 
#1 ·
should i go to the shop

#4 · (Edited)
The first one is my DIY. Only thing I would add is to finish it off with 15 (exagerated) coats of the clear temp paint. Makes them very easy to clean and protects them from brake dust and chemical corrosion.

HOWEVER, if you have not already painted, I don't believe you need to use heat paint. Automotive lacquer should work perfectly. Automotive paint is good to 500 degrees. If you can't light a cigarette off your calipers then you don't really need heat paint. Make sure you clear coat the crap out of em after the auto lacquer. that will be the only things to make them shine.

Good luck

#5 ·
I did mine even different. Only took off wheel, no dismantling, no paint brushing. Cleaned with simple green degreaser, scrubbed w/ wheel brush, wiped clean & dryed completely, masked off everything very well. Sprayed on 2 coats of high temp primer & then sprayed on 4 coats of caliper paint, both from local checker autoparts store, think it's Kragen elsewhere. Still looks great too. Masking took the longest, but you still gotta mask when paint brushing too, so whatever.

#6 ·
Yeah thats sorta what I did, I masked off everything with tin foil lol, for the little cracks I just crumple of a chunk of it and jam it in there, worked perfect for a mask. I just cleaned em off with a little alcohol and put 2 coats of high temp red paint I got from checkers. Did this about 6 months ago and is still holding up perfectly, no fadeing colors, and no paint chiping, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.