Oil extractor for easy oil changes [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Oil extractor for easy oil changes

mlumz
10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Just wanted to help those that do their own oil changes. My friend at passatworld forums uses a boat oil extractor. The guys at passatworld tested the efficiency of one and it showed nearly 100% extraction of old oil.

Oil extractor (http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~TEMPO~model~OIL%20BOY% 20FLUID%20EXTRACTOR%20KIT~affcode~froogleundefined ~keyword~259057.htm?&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=Froogle)

This is the type I used, it can be purchased at any marine/boat store for about $60 (don't get the cheap one they break easily)

But the basic concept is you put the hose into the dipstick, put it all the way down. Pump like 10 times and the oil extracts out of the dipstick. Adjust the dipstick, pump a few more times and let it sit there for a few minutes just to make sure all the oil is out. Change oil filter, then refill oil.

I personally used this on my 05 GT to see and it did pull out 4+ quarts of oil. It was awesome and I didn't have to get under my car except to change the filter.

Hope this helps those changing their own oil

Soron
10-30-2005, 01:44 AM
This topic has already been covered, I'll leave the ranting to the others ;) As I said before I am against using oil extractors myself since I don't believe they can get all of the sludge out like a real oil change can, thats why the oil plug is where it is.