: Unrelated to Hyundai

04 elantra cvvt
06-21-2004, 02:25 AM
I am trying to start a GM form on my own, and I know that this has nothing to do with this site, but, I would like some advise on how to advertise my site without spending huge bucks. I don't mean to try to advertise here, because I know that this site is for XD's. I just thought that maybe someone had general ideas about how to advertise a website without making a commercial and putting it on local access cable. Again, if this post is not acceptable, I am sorry, and I will understand if it gets closed. But if anyone could help, I would be very greatful. Thanks!

Rixation
06-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Well, since I own 2 new GM's and have to visit 4 or 5 forums daily at this point, I can safely say there are plenty of other forums out there already for GMs so if you don't have a very specific niche (like only one or two models, maybe one specific area like the central US or something), don't expect much traffic or membership. General sites like "all of GM" will be too hard to navigate or search through to find anything if it does get big enough to get 5000-10000 posts.

As to advertising, all I can say is my web hosting business was started up and ran for several years successfully without paying anything at all towards advertising. You can do banner swapping on a per click or monthly basis where other sites (in your case, other forums or GM aftermarket suppliers) would display your banner and you would display theirs. Also, never underestimate the power of word-of-mouth or local advertising. Post brightly colored but professional flyers or business-card-sized ads on bulletin boards at Home Depot, auto parts stores, grocery stores, etc. Try to think about your target audience and where they would go where they have enough free time to stand around idle long enough to read a bulletin board. You know those sheets of paper with strips cut out at the bottom that people can just rip off and take that normally have a phone number on it when someone's trying to sell something? Do the same thing just put the domain name of the site on there. That works really well.

That's enough free advertising info from me... ;)

04 elantra cvvt
06-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tips... I am just trying to get this thing going without going broke.