oil level Q' 3.5qt or 4.1qt???? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: oil level Q' 3.5qt or 4.1qt????

2loud2k2xd
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
ok, i always get my oil changes done at wal-mart. i do this because i bring in my own Mobile1 oil and pay them 10.00 for the change and filter and crush ring. i spoke to my hyundai dealer, they said they want a work order for the oil changes to keep the warranty valid.
now here is the question. what is the correct ammount of oil to put back in. 4.1qt or 3.5qt. their book says 4.1, another book says 3.5. sometimes they put in 4.1 and other times they put in 3.5. i am stumped. today i got an oil change and they put in 3.5. i know this because i always bring in 4 full qta and another qt for additional top off (the .1 or .5). i checked the oil level (on level ground and with the car off), it read perfect (they added 3.5qts).
so what gives? maby they arent letting all the old oil drain fully? im not sure. i got into a pissing match w/an old timer there, he showed me in their book my car takes 4.1 qts.

so whats the proper fill ammount?

thanks guys
dave.

and dont go there about walmart oil changes. 10.00 for the labor to do it is cheap as hell, and i get the paper work to prove to hyundai to keep my warranty valid. i have been going to the same one for 3 yrs..and NEVER any problems form them what-so-ever. and the same guy does all my changes as well. plus, all the guys there practically drool over the car. aww, you've got nitrous, and a **** load of audio/video...its an ego boost for me. :D

dayum, thisa simple thread is wayyy long. sorry

evan938
12-11-2005, 02:11 PM
i thought my book said like 3.78 or so. i just drain it out, with the car jacked up (so it drains toward the drain) to get as much as possible out, then pull the filter, the let them both drain a little more, then put everything back together and just use a full 4 quarts.

2loud2k2xd
12-11-2005, 02:13 PM
i just checked it after i got home a minute ago. it said full on the dipstick. and i know for sure they only put in 3.5 qts, because i brought them 4.8qts of oil and i have 1.3qts left? i'll re-check it tomorrow after work.
anoither reason why i go there, is my car will not fit on any lifts since the coilover install. i scrape the underside of the support beams (under the engine) on normal lifts. even alignment lifts i just barely scrape too. wal-mart uses a drive in system, where the guys go underground in a "dungeon" to do the oil changes. and i just barely clear the rails there to.

thx evan.

evan938
12-11-2005, 02:18 PM
my car is lowered 2.0 in the front, 1.5 in the rear, and i can get onto suspension lifts, firestone lifts, etc, just fine.

2loud2k2xd
12-11-2005, 02:28 PM
my car is lowered 2.0 in the front, 1.5 in the rear, and i can get onto suspension lifts, firestone lifts, etc, just fine.

i can too, if i want to scrape and rip off everything underneath.
i WATCH them every time when my car goes on and off a lift. EVERY where, my work, discount tire (forget this one. i got stuck last time!!!), the tow hooks scrape BAD on an alignment lift. i measured from the lowest point on my car (underneath), to the ground (on level ground), i have 2" of clearance, 1 5/8" clearance if you want to count my mud flaps.

Soron
12-11-2005, 04:59 PM
You have go to take into account that the oil filter, on average, holds around 1/2 quart so its 3.5 without a filter change and 4.1 with a filter change. It sounds like they changed your oil but not your filter, kinda makes sense since you said you provided the oil but no mention of the filter.

krazykarguy
12-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Maybe I'm just retarded, but I thought I read in the back of my owner's manual in the specifications/capacities section that an oil change with filter was 4.5 quarts. I even wrote this number on my valve cover so that I wouldn't have to dig the manual out again. I have an '01 EGT.

What gives?!?

2loud2k2xd
12-11-2005, 05:55 PM
You have go to take into account that the oil filter, on average, holds around 1/2 quart so its 3.5 without a filter change and 4.1 with a filter change. It sounds like they changed your oil but not your filter, kinda makes sense since you said you provided the oil but no mention of the filter.

guy..im not f'n stupid..neither is my friend who works there (he's the only one i let change the oil). they change the filter every time and also install a new crush ring. i kinda figured i didnt have to mention the filter or the crush ring in my first post. there is still 3.5 qts in it and i just checked it again after a road trip to a fiends house. it still reads perfectly full.

bikerPA
12-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I just changed my oil today, and like always I put in 3.75 quarts and like always the dipstick is right at the F mark. for what it's worth.

4mynikka
12-11-2005, 06:19 PM
i always get 3.5 qts put into mine.

Soron
12-12-2005, 02:38 AM
I always get just a little over 4 qts on mine, hey it was just my 2 cents, but it is odd that its running at 3.5, I wonder if its specific by model (ie. gt get 3.5 and gls 4.1)? if its 3.5 with filter change than its would be a 3 qt oil change without? somethings not adding up here. is oil capacity any different between XD's and XD2's?

evan938
12-12-2005, 02:39 AM
same engine. oil capacity is the same

rckozma
12-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Maybe I'm just retarded, but I thought I read in the back of my owner's manual in the specifications/capacities section that an oil change with filter was 4.5 quarts. I even wrote this number on my valve cover so that I wouldn't have to dig the manual out again. I have an '01 EGT.

What gives?!?

There has been several threads on this already, the book was printed with wrong info.