Window Tint film makes interior quieter [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Window Tint film makes interior quieter

kylemorg
06-22-2004, 01:48 PM
If you want a quieter interior with your windows up, tint your windows.

I recently got my windows tinted on my 2002 GT. I only wanted them to do the back hatch, the small windows behind the rear doors and the rear rolldown windows. However, they forgot and put the film on the front driver and passenger windows. I didn't pay for it, and I left it on.

The first thing I noticed is how much darker a "light smoke" film is than no film.

After ten minutes I got over the darker glass, and the second thing that I noticed is how much quieter it was in the car with the windows up. I guess the extra couple of mils of thickness on the glass and the softness of the film helps block the outside noise.

The stereo sounds better, too, because there isn't so much reflected sound from the glass; the softer film isn't as efficient in reflecting the sound.

I may have to take the film off of the front windows; any tint is against the guidelines in PA, and the cops are especially upset by tinted front windows. However, I'm tempted to replace the front tinted film with an untinted clear film, since it does such a nice job of quieting the car!

HatchetMan
06-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Wow, I am so used to tint that I had not looked at it that way, as being quieter and as sound dampening material.

watson80
06-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Im sure that is possible. I never thought of it like that either.

Blackknight04
06-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Never really put any thought into it and I've had the windows tinted on every car i've ever owned.

hyunelan2
06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
hmm. I also never though of the noise being dampened. Good thinking.

yevRPS
06-22-2004, 04:06 PM
are you sure it's not all just in your head? :) i mean you do have to drive around with the windows up for a couple of days now...maybe that's why it's quieter ;).....i have my windows tinted and frankly i haven't noticed that there's any less noise getting through...but then agian.. i wasn't paying any attention to it and if there was any differenece it must've been marginal

vabeach_03
06-22-2004, 04:18 PM
wouldn't be able to tell anyway. my stereo is always cranked. that or my windows are down.

04 elantra cvvt
06-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Never thought of that either. I had the windows tinted before I signed on the dotted line.