Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Automatic transmission fluid flush

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Hondo Undai 
#1 ·
My '02 is now over 47k miles and hasn't got a tranny flush yet. I'm thinking of doing it either myself or in the dealership. I perfer the first one because I can add the tranny cooler at the same time. Is there a DIY write up for the flush or I have to let the dealership do it?

#6 ·
at my hyundia dealer, they just drop the drain plug or pan, and replace the fluid. we dont use the flush machine, cause they take like 12 quarts to use.
besides, at 47k, id just drain the fluid from the pan, it doesnt really need a true "flush". and ONLY USE SPIII, cause any other fluid WILL destroy your tranny, baybe not now, but it will.

#7 ·
When I was waiting for my 30k service there was another happy customer who had jiffylube do the trans fluid change and didn't use SPIII.

Lets just say that SPIII has special anti-foaming agents that the other fluids don't and customer xxxx bought a new transmission :)

Brad

#9 · (Edited)
jack up the front end. Take of the outbound hose of the cooler. Plug it. Attach a hose to the cooler, and put the other end into a bucket. Have your Sp3 open and ready to pour. Start the car and watch the fluid go. After you have gotten a few quarts out, stop the engine. fill up the car with the same amount you took out. Start car and repeat. Continue until the fluid is clean

or

Find a shop that uses a T-Tec machine. It isn't really a machine as much as it is a metering device that replaces as much fluid as the vehicle put out. It allowsthe vehicle to do the work, instead of flushing or backflushing, which can push contaminants into things they aren't supposed to go into, or can rupture seals and other things that aren't supposed to be that pressurized They will do the same thing as to what is described above, but with better return fluid abilities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.