Pennsylvanians Must Read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Pennsylvanians Must Read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toymachine566
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
A friend at work had printed this e-mail for me so I figured I'd share with other Pennsylvania drivers. I typed it verbatim:

Hello all,

My brother is the fire chief in Montrose and they had a meeting on Wednesday night and this was brought to their attention by a fire fighter who is also a cop.

Pennsylvania State Police will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy throughout the state starting February 1, 2006. The state estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 3 million will go to pay Trooper overtime costs and benefits. There will be 150 State Troopers on duty during all shifts patrolling the highways. Significant radar enforcement will occur along the I-70, I-76, I-79, I-80, I-81, I-83, I-84, and I-90 corridors. Motorists traveling 6mph or more above the limit will receive a ticket and every State Trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.

Pennsylvania has activated 50 new unmarked cruisers of various makes and models for this pilot program to raise extra funds and meet mandated quotas. The Pennsylvania State Legislators dreamed up this program to help offset the additional funding required to hire 60 new troopers.

Good Luck,

Has anyone else in the PA area heard about this? :eek:

yevRPS
02-03-2006, 01:52 PM
this is the second variation of this spam i've seen in two days. the first one was forwarded to me. i've heard from several state troopers that there is no such thing as "ticket quota". it doesn't make much sense to me that a trooper is supposed to pull someone over every 10min. what if nobody is speeding and he can't pull over anybody? does he get fired? this actually sound kind of illegal for a state or municipality to mandate such quotas. also i drive on 279/79 to work everyday. haven't seen any cops yet.

EDIT: here's a variation of this for CA http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/ticket-frenzy.htm

Leviathant
02-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Sounds fishy to me, like the kind of contagious email that shows up on snopes.com

Nonetheless, I've got my radar detector ready, and if I have to get up a few minutes earlier to get to work, no harm there :)

There are almost never any cops on 83 anymore, haven't been for years.

cbehage
02-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I heard this through spam, Kinda don't and do believe it. I know they went way over budget with overtime last year.

This is the fishy part:

"and every State Trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes."

How is that even possible?

toymachine566
02-03-2006, 02:02 PM
the whole ten minutes thing does sound a little off, but i didnt know that there was spam like this going around...my mistake, I apologize. this was the first time i heard of something like this so it spooked me

yevRPS
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
and there you have it http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

toymachine566
02-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Ahhh, I see. I am an idiot. Well then if a mod could just edit the title or somethin to read like hoax that would be great.

robs02elantra
02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
perhaps the government is running snopes.com and just wants you to think that this is a hoax. It would be better to get people worried, then tell them it was a lie and have them speed even more than it would be just to catch people off guard. Hmm, big brother does it again eh? congratulations.

HAHAHA, just kidding. Sorry I couldn't help but play that role.

subvibe99
02-03-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in MA I bet that an officer could seriously get someone every 10 minutes for one thing or another. one of the worst driving states out there. People don't know what a blinker is for the most part - Subvibe

paki
02-03-2006, 08:43 PM
it may be fake.. but there have been a lot more cops around these areas that I have noticed

vsolo
02-23-2006, 09:20 PM
when the weather gets nice, the police know people will be out cruizing a little faster, this has not changed in the last 30 years, tickets go on the rise.
Nice weather, nice breeze, good music, less traffic at certain times.

They got me at 1 AM going 75 in a 55 in coming out of Baltimore on the JFX in MD. I was suprised I was going so slow , :smileyr: it was an nice night, nice breeze, good music.

When Mr. Cop :rolleyes: asked why I was going so fast I told him: nice night, nice breeze, good music. & I forgot to set the cruise control DOH :hand:

Levi they got mom at 10 AM coming down rte 83 going to Baltimore the next day doing 84 is a 65, her FIRST ticket in her life....ahahaha.. Good thing she watch COPS to know what to do :) & followed what Chris Rock said to do in his video about being stopped by the police ahahah

Both events were in the GT ahahahaahaha Needless to say, we paid the state alot of money,, Sorry we spent your birthday present money :)

only1db
02-23-2006, 10:43 PM
yup...i used to always get a ticket every March!! WTF...i wise up though...

my wife said that she saw about 10 cops on her way home from school on rt 80 through the double fine corridor....

toy...you know the section between tannersville and stroudsburg

toymachine566
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah....i lighten up a little bit to maybe like 75. I heard it was air patrolled or somethin like that. They're starting to sit at spots that i never even thought of :mad:

ilanpro
02-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I take I-80 Every day do 75 on a 50 along with thousands of commutersm If you are moving along in a group, cops dont Bug you.

toymachine566
02-24-2006, 09:06 PM
good to know....I'm to stubborn. I'm the guy that has to jusp creep by the guy going a little faster than him. Around 75 i have passed them and never been bothered. One i passed at 80.....never again. I've been seeing a lot more cops than usual all around.....so yeah, my driving habits have changed a tad bit. Not to mention ive got like two more months of driving left before my license goes on a six month "vacation".....ahhh, well; live and learn