Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Shouldn't you also.........

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  01elantra4dr 
#1 ·
O.k. going to work on sat night.....I was on the freeyway doing about 75-80 mph (hey I was going, literally, with the flow), the tach was in about the 2600-2800 rpm range.....when the tranny downshifted(auto tranny) and the check engine light came on....well besides the as#$!le in the F-150 crawling up my ***.......so now I'm in the far left lane(fast lane) doing 60 mph with my tach in then now 3400-3800 rpm range to.....A) keep mr F-150 out of my trunk....B) not to hit the rev limitter....and C) to limp my car to work, cuss my head off, call my supervisor,wife...and other wise stomp around like a little b!tch...... :2gunsfiri :mad: ....wait there is more.....besides the fact I now have only one gear (in this case 3rd)...i get off the phone, punch in get the keys and so forth......smoke a cig.....drink a pepsi....get in my car start it up......check engine light is off....I have a normal tranny... :conf: :wtf: ......So all things being equil.....the tranny fuild is dirty....so my question is when to have the fuild changed....doesn't the filter need to be changed also?

#6 ·
make sure they flush the torque converter too

#7 ·
O.k. had the ranny flushed and new fluid put in yesterday......well now the tranny is doing the same thing the CEL is on permently...tranny slams into gear manually....or sometimes it will shift fine on its own......Any ideas?

#10 ·
I had the same problem on my recent 01 elantra auto, the problem may be caused be a failure of the Transmission Input speed sensor, and/or the output speed sensor. The PCM uses these two sensors to calculate the RPM difference of engine Input versus Transmission output and choses which gear to shift to. when one of these sensors go bad the PCM cannot determine which gear is needed, and will default into second or third gear which will allow the car to be driven to a service shop, but will not up/downshift.

#11 ·
o.k. importspeed....you basically what is happening.....but now the tranny is shifting fine I have all 4 gears...shifts normally...but with the CEL.......

#13 ·
You guys are making me glad I switched to a manual (until I have to fork up the $$ to get my clutch replaced).

#14 ·
meh, when that time comes, just get an upgraded aftermarket and you'll be happy, seems all the other m/t guys like em. im thinking of making the swap on mine when this a/t dies

#15 ·
you know mine does the same thing, but without the cel...i know for a fact the tps(throttle position sensor) has something to do with it, although im not saying this is your problem.... but if you unhook it and move it around and tape it at a horribly odd angle, and then drive around. Your transmission will flip out, i.e revv up really high without acelerating, dowshifting at randomn times dying and idling at 2500 rpms etc in my case when i got my new tb this exact scenario happened(due to the throttle shaft machined at the wrong angle)...i ended up replacing the tps and those problems lead to the failure of my idle speed actuator, and now im worried it lead to transmission damage, because i now have the same problems you have, and always assumed it was still my new tps, but now that i am aware of a few sensors in the tranny this has me worried......

#16 ·
The TPS has been giving me trouble also........well hopefully when I take it to the dealership they won't say "oh well you've got custom rims.....I'm sorry that voids the warrenty"........

#17 ·
the only way that rims can void the warranty is if they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was the fault of the rims that caused the problem

#18 ·
When I had my 01 GLS i had tranny problems similar to wut your describing, so i took it in and after running some diagostics they came to a conclusion that the tranny wasnt compatable with the ecu... so they put a new tranny in it and it worked fine... another option was to put a new ECU in, but that would have cost me $$... the tranny was under warranty....

#19 ·
I had my XD auto jam in first gear when a wire to the right rear indicator bulb shorted, blowing the indicator fuse which also affected the ecm to auto circuit!

In Australia, the transmission fluid and filter changes are every 30,000 KM. I let the dealer do the 30,000 / 60,000 / 90,000 services 'cause I can't be bothered mucking about with valve shims and coolant flushes and brake fluid flushes and the transmission fluid. In my younger days it was okay, but I have better things to spend my time on.

I do all the intermediate maintenance though.

#20 · (Edited)
Damn makes me wish I had waited a week for the manuals to come in.......went to a tranny tech today......explained what happened( plus it did it agian on my way home AFTER I left the shop)......and he sid that yeah that the TPS can do it if mot it might be a " silanoid".......WTF is he talking about...... :wtf: :angryfire

#22 ·
bringing this back from the dead

ok this is what happends I'm on the freeway doing 85 when it feels like i hit a curve (down shifting) and then i'm doing 60 at 4500 rpm........

I have a history of bad tranmission work, seriously ive know 2 people and my father has had 2 cars with repalced trannies and they have never run the same and they could never get it right.

Auto trannies are a ***** to rebuild and everyone thinks they can do it but they seriosly cant.

Anyways can anyone help me?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.