60000k service unbelievable [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: 60000k service unbelievable

benito65
02-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Ok I am not the most technically gifted person when it comes to mechanics but i know when i am being screwed. I went to dealership to check on the 60000 mile service. Now i had just done a manual transmission fluid replacement. They wanted 450 for the timing belt and another 520 for an oil change, coolant flush and and tranny fluid change, new spark plugs and a " full vehicle check. Now i can do spark plugs, tranny fluid and an oil change. So i asked them if they would take some off of the inspection price and they said no. So i then went and took my owners manual to a shop i trust here in town. They said they could do the timing belt for 300 including parts and 50 for the inspection. What a load of crap the dealerships are pulling. Has anyone else had a similar experience??

05xd
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Independant shops have a hella lower labor rate per hour than a dealer.And even if you are getting charged $50 bucks for a "vehicle check over" you are still getting it up the rear.When you go to a dealer to get this stuff done,you get the correct parts and not just some cheap knock-off part.Also make sure your mech has the correct trans fluid or say bye-bye to your warranty.

03SilverBullet
02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
dont get any of the services done at hyundai unless you wanna get pummled in the *** with a rip off charge.

Doohickie
02-16-2006, 10:29 PM
They're not all ripoff artists. I have a couple locally that are reasonable. Well, maybe not reasonable, but if you look hard enough, you can find coupons on their websites..... it's kind of like getting some vaseline to make the reaming a little smoother.

WytchDctr
02-16-2006, 10:30 PM
www.hyundaipartsonline.com Hyundai belt, tensioner, and idle wheel shipped to your door in under a week for 120 (give or take depending on where you live and shipping prices)

benito65
02-16-2006, 11:18 PM
so there is a particular tranny fluid to use i used a synthetic type i can't remember the brand

ems1
02-23-2006, 01:41 PM
I just had the transmission fluid changed at the dealer. That cost $120.
I should have looked at the scheduled maintenance in the owners manual. The timing belt needs to be changed at 4 years or 60,000 miles whatever comes first. The dealer wants $525 for that!!! I'm going to have 4 years and 40,000 miles in April '06.

This car is beginning to look like a bad deal deal at this point. They make you pay dearly for the good warrantee!

FinalBreath
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Honestly, i would just do all the work myself... stealerships tax!!! that stuff is way to expensive... 300+ bucks to do a belt that dont cost more than 30 bucks... lol

EVOXD
02-23-2006, 02:03 PM
There is a kit for the timing belt on Kspec for i think 200 it comes with
Timing Belt
Tension Assembly
Idle Pulley
Water Pump Assembly
Water Pump Gasket
Power Steering Belt
Water Pump Belt
A/C Belt
I dont know if your supposed to replace all of that at 60K miles or not?
Does anyone know? Im going to go in and have this done in a month or so, im at 64k right now.

fgummett
02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Unless you really know what you are doing you can seriously mess up your engine if you attempt the timing belt change yourself. If the cam moves or you are off by a tooth or two you can end up with valves making contact with pistons. Same can happen if you skip the replacement and the belt snaps while the engine is running. It is good insurance to get this done at a reputable dealer

05xd
02-23-2006, 10:27 PM
dont get any of the services done at hyundai unless you wanna get pummled in the *** with a rip off charge.
But you know what,the people that always complain about the prices at dealerships are the same ones that come BACK to the dealer crying that something broke on their car and they want it replaced under warranty.They are the people that I cannot stand.

mnstrmech
02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Honestly, i would just do all the work myself... stealerships tax!!! that stuff is way to expensive... 300+ bucks to do a belt that dont cost more than 30 bucks... lol

actually, i just got done searching all over my town for a timing belt, 40-50 bucks! but ya, i found a cloyes timing belt for 25 bucks.

even though i work at a hyundia dealer, these are all rip-off claims of labor. we follow alldata for labor times, and according to them, its only 2.7 hours for a timing belt change. lets say our labor rate is $100/hour, that only equals $270 plus belt, lets say $75, 345 plus tax. or, you could come to my house, id do it for $75 bucks, get you a belt for 25 bucks, and be gone in a few hours.!

fgummett
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
^^Yes.. but you are a Certified Technician with access to the correct tools for the job. Maybe just my opinion but I'm really concerned this thread is giving the impression that timing belt change is a DIY... don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money and will do as much as I can myself, but there are a few things that I don't think it's worth taking shortcuts and this is one of them. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, find a reputable and trustworthy garage (preferably one you use often) that can do this work for a reasonable price AND guarantee it :)

BobMs_wht2k2
02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm really disappointed that a hyundai tech who should know of the issues with aftermarket belts and the high probability of breakage would even suggest an aftermarket belt.

2001GLS
02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Part of the reason I traded in my Elantra was the timing belt change & 60k service were coming up. I'm so glad Hyundai went to a timing chain on the new Sonata!

Kens GLS
02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I just got some work done on my 01 gls windows went down very slow all warranty covered But i had a bulb out by the licence plate they wanted 18 dollars to fix that 18 dollars for a new ciggeret lighter and 10 for an ashtray bulb. I said no thanks did it my self for under 10 dollars total.

Bnystrom
02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
^^Yes.. but you are a Certified Technician with access to the correct tools for the job. Maybe just my opinion but I'm really concerned this thread is giving the impression that timing belt change is a DIY... don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money and will do as much as I can myself, but there are a few things that I don't think it's worth taking shortcuts and this is one of them. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, find a reputable and trustworthy garage (preferably one you use often) that can do this work for a reasonable price AND guarantee it :)
Evidently, you've never replaced a timing belt. It takes time, but it's not a difficult procedure at all. It certainly isn't nearly as scary as you make it out to be. Doing your own timing belt replacement is not a "shortcut", it's just maintenance. No big deal.

My philosophy is that if the parts, tools and instructional materials cost less than paying someone to do it, it's worth doing the job yourself, as the more you learn about your car, the better off you are. A timing belt replacement definitely falls in to this category. All it takes is instructions (free on Webtech), a few common tools and some attention to detail. Anyone who's reasonably mechanically inclined should be able to handle the job. As the saying goes, "it's not rocket science".

fgummett
02-24-2006, 01:51 PM
^^ What you say makes sense and no I have not yet personally performed a timing belt change BUT the original post in this thread starts with the words...
Ok I am not the most technically gifted person when it comes to mechanics... ...followed by several replies about how much cheaper it is to buy the parts and do it yourself. Perhaps it is not as scary as I make out but tell me what you would advise if someone tries this without due preparation, inadvertantly moves the camshaft by a couple of teeth and ends up needing a new engine without guarantee or warranty to fall back on?

BobMs_wht2k2
02-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Bnystrom, I do understand where you're coming from, BUT. . . . I get to see the aftermath of people who listened to so and so on this or that forum who told me how to do it. I see it EVERYDAY! The usual end result is the car gets towed in and the cost just tripled. Worst cases involve junk yard engines that look like crap getting put into nice cars.

Here's the skinny. If you're good with tools, mechanically inclined and are patient, yes you can tackle a t-belt. If not, take it to someone and be done.

If I've said it once I've said it a dozen times : NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SKILLS NOR SHOULD THEY ATTEMPT TO WORK ON A CAR. Yes, that is cruel, but life ain't no walk in the park. USe some damn sense people. Not everyone can knock out a t-belt water pump int the driveway in a couple of hours.

Down sides: You over tighten, snap the belt at 2500rpms. Well, go junk yard shopping cause you just bought an engine. You don't tighten enough, car jumps time enough times to cause severe drivability issues. So yes, doing a t-belt can be a "scary adventure".

EDIT: I have not done an XD t-belt yet (soon to do 2)but there are many cars that they are a serious pita. Just trying to get your arm/hand into places can accidentally move the cam.

ems1
02-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I was annoyed when I got a quote from my dealer for $525 to replace the timing belt. I called another dealer who quoted $400. But here was the surprise, the service rep suggested I wait another year for the service. I explained I had 40,000 miles and the car was 4 years old next month and the service was required in the manual for the '02 Elantra. He said "Hyundai would cover the repair if it failed since it was less than 60,000 miles and that there was no cases of these belts failing in less than 60,000 miles or 5 years."

This as a shock that the service rep was recommending against spending my money! Unheard of!

What do you guys think? Should I take a chance and let it go for a year?

mnstrmech
02-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm really disappointed that a hyundai tech who should know of the issues with aftermarket belts and the high probability of breakage would even suggest an aftermarket belt.

i may be a hyundai tech, but before this, i also worked at pepboys for 2 1/2 years, using nothing but aftermarket parts, and i have NEVER seen any part that i installed return because it broke! be it timing belts, struts, crappy no-name struts/shocks, balljoints, etc,,..... maybe its my luck, i dont know. that is why i will not hesitate to use "non dealer parts."

anyway, its funny the timing belt topic is brought up, cause im currently im teh middle of doing mine, and it is the first elantra timing belt ive ever changed, and its only took me 45 minutes to get the belt off, real easy, thats why i, too suggest it to anybody that is mechanically inclined,careful, and all you need is regular tools, nothing special.

as for your answer, ems1, if you had the money, id do it now. being only 40K miles, sounds like short trip driving in 4 years, which can be hard on parts, espcially rubber belts. it could possibly be cracked. my car is an 03, but has 72000 miles, and the belt is hard, somewhat brittle.
thats my .02

fgummett
02-24-2006, 09:01 PM
^^ I don't mean to sound sarcastic but why should we or even yourself be impressed by the fact that an ASE Certified Technician with several years of experience only took 45 minutes to take the timing belt off? :)

I have been writing computer software for 12 years but have also taught classes to others who frequently remind me that things I take for granted as "easy" are not to everyone.

This may be or may not be a relatively easy piece of work that can be accomplished at the side of the road with simple tools (although I'm surprised there is not a special tool to lock down the camshaft??) but the potentially expensive consequences of moving the cam, over/under tensioning the belt make me stop and think if it is really worth the risk of saving some money up front? But hey... that is just my opinion :)

EDIT : other threads on this topic...
Coming up on 60K... (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13531&highlight=timing+belt)
Timing Belt... (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12922&highlight=timing+belt)
Timing Belt... (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3261&highlight=timing+belt)
and many more...