Weapon-R intake installed [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Weapon-R intake installed

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
So I bit the bullet and bought this damn thing. I'll be dynoing it ASAP. So far the car feels good, not tooo loud, I'll be resetting the ECU and doing a test run. I'll let you all know how it goes.

here are some pics:

http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/02-22-06_1202.jpg

http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/02-22-06_1204.jpg

A&F 01 GLS
02-22-2006, 01:04 PM
looks pretty good... that plastic shield isn't doing anything haha ;)

Seinster
02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Looks good man, nice install. :)
That filter looks mean, and fits in very nicely with the engine bay.

Car is DONE, no more mods
Sure, sure, famous last words... :D

03SilverBullet
02-22-2006, 01:17 PM
looks pretty good... that plastic shield isn't doing anything haha ;)
looks good, i still have my heat shield on to, i think it looks better with it.

why do you have so many clamps near the TB?

fgummett
02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Lookin' good. :)

Nice to see someone else with the Canadian Tire Reflex wiper blades... mine are living up the hype... impressed so far :D

robs02elantra
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Looks good man! Way to go!

I've got the reflex wipers as well. I'm a big fan, they're pretty good.

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 02:05 PM
looks good, i still have my heat shield on to, i think it looks better with it.

why do you have so many clamps near the TB?

The coupler they provided was HUGE!!!!, I think it was made for 3' not 2.75 like ours so to make sure there was no leaks, I doubled the clamps.

Looks good man, nice install. :)
That filter looks mean, and fits in very nicely with the engine bay.

Sure, sure, famous last words... :D

I am done, I'm just waiting for my Eibachs and KYBs. :)

wagonofhell
02-22-2006, 04:03 PM
you that filter is good for making a ram air set up from the filter to the bumper

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
you that filter is good for making a ram air set up from the filter to the bumper

Yeah I know, but I'm going to leave it as it is.

So here is the REVIEW for this product:

* the couplers and fasteners are actually really good Quality. Compared to other intakes I have had ( I have had 4) these are the best so far.

* the pipe itself is really nice and you can see the whole "technology" behind them

* The filter is very well put together and clean, I'm still trying to figure out how to dismantle it and clean it, (cleaning kit comes with the package BTW) :redface:

* PERFORMANCE is really GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, the throttle response is good throughout the whole RPM range, it is not too loud, power is smooth and even no delays like a CAI.

Is it worth the PRICE? We'll have wait and see I still have to save the money to get a DYNO. But the power is definitely Noticable.

Also if anybody here is wondering they give you an extra coupler and fastener so that you can USE your MAF sensor.

03silver, I was using the wrong coupler, I don't need as much fasteners on the TB anymore. ;)

this is where I got it:
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home_n.asp?dir=wizardexp&product=783&mid=20&mid2=Elantra

Biff
02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
SO this could be used on an '04 and up then?

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 05:10 PM
SO this could be used on an '04 and up then?

yeah bro they give you an extra coupler so you can put the MAF from your car.... but wait before you shell the dough, give me a couple of weeks to get it dynoed.

:)

mtlelantra
02-22-2006, 05:13 PM
* the pipe itself is really nice and you can see the whole "technology" behind them

Which is??

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Which is??

this is what their site says:

The Secret Weapon Intake was designed, to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other. This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system. The intake pipe is bent out of high quality 6061 Aluminum on our Automated CNC mendrel bender. Polished to a high show quality finish. The SW1 Air filter features a tuned velocity stack to increase velocity and decrease turbulence
You can see the two different flows going to the pipe.
here's a pic:

http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/weapon.jpg

tharptroy
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
3 times more air..wow...they've really got something there

Vampyrate
02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
wow, and i thought the only plus to it was the filter, wonder if they make CAIs *scratches chin*

Kenshin
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Aha! Now that I'm seeing the inside of that thing, it makes sense. By having the dual-walled tubing with a velocity stack feeding the inner tube, the velocity of the intake charge is increased as if you had, say, a 2.25" sri, which should increase torque, but with the extra air volume that the big 3" outer piping provides, it helps keep that power gain going into the higher rpms. Smart design! I'm really curious to see some dyno results.

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 06:42 PM
wow, and i thought the only plus to it was the filter, wonder if they make CAIs *scratches chin*

No they don't they specialize in SRI and claim to be better than CAI's. Remember this thread:

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10970

That's why I bought the damn thing to begin with. To get proof as soon as I dyno it.

bigkahuna2187
02-22-2006, 09:31 PM
is it me or do you have 4 claps on the intake part??

4mynikka
02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
is it me or do you have 4 claps on the intake part??

It's me, I used the wrong coupler and it was loose. :redface:

It's been fixed..... I used the extra coupler for a MAF and ignored the one for the TB. Feels real good, I hope the dyno agrees.

wagonofhell
02-23-2006, 12:26 AM
on there web site it says that they well make a custem intake short ram or cold air they have a list of charges for bends and straits and things of thaat nature and one of them is that secrect wepond desine now they didnt spesify if they would only do it for the short ram, but then again they did not say they would do it for the cold air either. they did say that you had to scech it and disine it your self so all they do is make it. they said the price to make your intake with that tec is 90 bucks plush the rest of the manufactoring cost going by what they said on the web site you could easly get a cai intake with that desine for like 200 bucks. now this dose not mean that they will do it for the cai but that is what took it as so please correct me if i am wronge.

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 12:34 AM
if that's the case, i will take apart my CAI (94-97 accord that has been modified) and tell them to use that exact setup with a cut out for my bypass... hell, you can see all the bends in it just with my engine bay pic and see how much it would cost for that

Biff
02-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Now I am real excited for you to get this dynoed...

KeWLKaT
02-23-2006, 06:57 AM
LoL you guys are wierd

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

mtlelantra
02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/weapon.jpg
So does the inner tube go all the way through the SRI?
Albeit my fluid dynamics knowledge is limited, but I gotta call BS/marketing. I'd like to see another tube, EXACTLY the same dimensions without the inner tube dynoed side by side with the same filter, everything, done by an independent source.
Remember this is NA... the engine can only take up a certain volume of air. It can only take up "more" air by taking in colder, denser air, but the volume is the same. The amount of air going in one end of the tube is the same as the amount of air going out the other end of the tube.
Velocity stack needs some sort of venturi to feed it into the inner tube. If there's no venturi, physics says the speed of the flow is going to be the same in both tubes. If you have a venturi to the inner tube, you're going to lose flow to the outer tube. Again, physics says you can't create something from nothing.
Really, the only thing that non-stock intakes are doing is reducing the amount of restriction. Just my 2 cents...

fgummett
02-23-2006, 10:30 AM
^^ Agreed.. so long as we are talking NA all we can hope to do is always provide the engine with as much air as it asks for.. the colder/denser the better (more air in same volume)

IF the inner tube goes all the way through and is in fact the intake tube, then the outer tube may give additional insulation from the engine heat and help with cooler air... except that this is an SRI, so its sucking in under the hood anyway :confused:

KeWLKaT
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Well, if they have their numbers right, velocity might increase because of the bigger "surface of friction" that I like to call, just like why 2in mandrel bends are better than a 4 inch exhaust on a n/a slightly modded car.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Bnystrom
02-23-2006, 12:42 PM
The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other. This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system.
What an absolute PACK OF LIES! The only way to get "3X more air" to the engine is to turbocharge or supercharge it and that would require 30 PSI of boost! As mtelantra said, simple physics dictates that their pipe within a pipe cannot increase airflow. In fact, it will reduce airflow compared to a single pipe of the same outer diameter due to the reduce internal volume and increased surface friction caused by the second pipe and its support struts. What a joke! For $200, you got screwed!

GodisintheTV
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
yeah im sorry dude but i seriously cannot beleive you dropped $200 on that tiny piece of pipe.....reallly really bad move. 2loud has a weapon r and he did'nt have very impressive #'s so dont think you got anthing substantial for your $200 for that price you should have gotten an injen CAI. :hand:

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
yeah im sorry dude but i seriously cannot beleive you dropped $200 on that tiny piece of pipe.....reallly really bad move. 2loud has a weapon r and he did'nt have very impressive #'s so dont think you got anthing substantial for your $200 for that price you should have gotten an injen CAI. :hand:

Bro, The only reason I got this intake was to DYNO it. I've had the Evo Fusion CAI, a civic Intake and Evo Fusion CAI converted to SRI, now this one. I purposely bought this because everyone bashes anything that is not INJEN, AEM or the favorite accord intake from ebay. Everyone here can only criticize I'm doing this for everyone, After this I'm going save up and dyno the ECU from KDMGuy. So I didn't get ripped off, it was my choice.

pjc6281
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey this site was built on pioneers so i say let the dyno speak for itself, way to have some balls and try this out! :)

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Getting dynoed today around 4pm I'll put the results for everyone afterwards.

GodisintheTV
02-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Bro, The only reason I got this intake was to DYNO it. I've had the Evo Fusion CAI, a civic Intake and Evo Fusion CAI converted to SRI, now this one. I purposely bought this because everyone bashes anything that is not INJEN, AEM or the favorite accord intake from ebay. Everyone here can only criticize I'm doing this for everyone, After this I'm going save up and dyno the ECU from KDMGuy. So I didn't get ripped off, it was my choice.

ok, thats admirable. i wasn't making fun of you, its just......the price........for a short ram. it does'nt make sense to me but yeah im excited to see the dyno. :cool:

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
i was making fun of you... wait no i wasnt jfwy bro.

anyway, i think that you are truly a pioneer by trying out all this stuff. could you by chance drop me about 4k for a turbo, rims and a few other doodads for my car? hahah j/k

GodisintheTV
02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
yea me too buy me air suspension and an lsd so i can .....uhhh..uuuhh...dyno it! yeah thats it:)

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
eff that, there is a link to a video here somwhere where they put a leaf blower right on the intake and boosted more than 40hp on one car (i think) before they sprayed it

smgfan1224
02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
its all good i had a dragon intake for my elantra, and now i have a secret weapon for my sonata.. ill spend the cash i trust there product and im a name brand whore.

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 02:55 PM
brand whore?!? check the stickers on my car! i even have a trogdor sticker, now thats quality!

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
all the skeptics out there here are the results.

Sooo 127hp to the wheels and 129lbs to the wheels.

. :D

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
what was the dyno pull before that though? say with another SRI?

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Here compare all you want with other dyno's:

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4877

Most of the ones that have similar numbers to me have a cat-back exhaust, CAI, Headers, PIM, BBTB, My car on the other hand ONLY has the Weapon-R intake and Exhaust running from the Stock Resonator 2.5' piping into a 2.25 Magnaflow exhaust.

cbehage
02-23-2006, 05:39 PM
You cannot say anything about gains on this intake unless you do a before and after dyno ON YOUR CAR.

You can't compare your dyno to other peoples. They could have been on the equator with 100 percent humidity and 110 degree temperature. Or on the arctic circle bro.

The reason people don't belive it is worth $200 and gives you a huge gain, is because of the companies history of crap and the fact that it is sucking hot air. They love gimicky stuff. Your engine is only going to suck a certain amount of air no matter what. It is not going to push more air in than the engine can pull.

Get a true cold air and dyno it against this. Or your stock air box. You need some sort of reference point.

Vampyrate
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
^thank you! i dont see how an independent variable can be tested w/o a control first

cbehage
02-23-2006, 05:47 PM
It's meaningless

Other than to say how much power you currently have

CTele02
02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Well don't down play SRI's in general like that. There are many benefits they have over a CAI.... (less noise, no need for a bypass valve since there is less risk of hydrolock, easier to install/remove). And if I recall a while back Fordfaster did a couple dynos comparing his SRI and his CAI and the SRI was only weaker by 1-2hp and 1-2lbs.
But yes without proper control, you can't really see if he made "gains". Though that is pretty good for just a SRI and exhaust. By the way this is on a manual correct?

cbehage
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
I am not saying anything bad about SRI's, they are great for the reasons you mentioned.

I am just saying I would not spend $200 on a SRI. Especially a Weapon R.

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I am not saying anything bad about SRI's, they are great for the reasons you mentioned.

I am just saying I would not spend $200 on a SRI. Especially a Weapon R.

That is your choice to buy or not.

The whole point of me doing this was to see if I would actually get gains. Now we all know the stock engine is in the 110-115hp range and around the same for torque. Regardless, I'm happy with the results, I'm glad that now there is another LEGITIMATE option for XD owners.

Aaron if you want to send me $160 CDN I'll buy a generic SRI do another dyno for you. :D

R-J

robs02elantra
02-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Way to go man. With all the complaints about lack of dyno's, someone finally does and it's not good enough because there was no before dyno. Well, unless your car, stock, decides to muster up every ounce of strength it has and break the 130whp mark on it's own without mods, I think that it's safe to assume you had a good 110-115whp stock elantra to begin with. Thanks for spending your money on the dyno for everyone on this! Keep up the good work.

cbehage
02-23-2006, 08:18 PM
But you don't KNOW if you got a gain. You are ASSUMING you got a gain and you have no idea how much.

I love dyno's. I am glad to see anyone do one. But you got to do it right if you are going to post that you got gains because of people like me. You have no proof. Just a guess.

I believe you got a gain. But I think it would be the exact same as another short ram pipe.

We will never really know.

PS: If you weren't in Canada, I would ship you a SRI bro.

Where's ford been at. He would probably agree about the before dyno.

Phiber
02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Get the extension tube; it's a must. Or roll your own from home depot.

KeWLKaT
02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
cbehage, let's see some dynos from your car

cbehage
02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
hey, why don't you hook him up with a regular intake to dyno since you are in Canada

I will dyno after I put in a new engine, manual transmission, stage 3 clutch, light flywheel, new axle, SMT-5, Airram intake manifold. I will have to get it tuned on a dyno before I can get it inspected and emission tested. (Spitting gas out the exhaust)

I can't even legaly drive my car on the street right now.

I have more important priorities to worry about first before the dyno tuning. I have to do things in a specific order or it will not work bro.

There will be dynos.

Kinda short on funds. Buying another 2000 Elantra with the new engine and airram. (Not to mention I have to supporta 6 month old boy and 6 year old girl)

Also I have already spent an absurd amount of $ on my car. not just a intake exhaust.

robs02elantra
02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
(added after) ^ we will want to see a before dyno as well, to make sure that you had gains. I'm sympathetic to the whole, needing to spend money on more important things; but if nobody on here can afford to do a before dyno and an after dyno, then we should all stop complaining about people not getting before dyno's done first.

Ok, I'm opening up this fund idea again. You have your old pipes, right 4mynikka? How about one of two options. Either option requires raising money, which I'm up to the task of, so here's the choices. You can put your stock intake system back on and dyno, or put a different SRI (cai without the second pipe if you've got it) and dyno. There's only one way that people on here are going to be satisfied, and I'm willing to put up 5-10 myself to put this to rest! Anyone else willing to put in 5$?

cbehage
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Sure, I'll give $5.

Eventhough it has no impact on me, I just want to see actual results. I love real #'s

I just hope when it is my dyno time, you guys will do the same for me. (hopefully 210-220hp)

robs02elantra
02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Sure man, I'm hoping to start trying to do this for before dynos for anyone here who doesn't have money to do both. If a lot of people can get in on this, and put 5 in now, then later on we will do it for them...It will be a really great give and take system so that everyone can eventually afford to do a before dyno if they choose.

It's a lot easier to come up with 5$ each time, than 160 or whatever it is depending on where you are. This just makes sense. I don't have to head it up either, if there is someone on the site with enough time and is trusted by everyone on the site, then that person is more than welcome to take it from me, I'm still relatively new on here.

cbehage
02-23-2006, 09:08 PM
All you canadian bastards love you xd's

Just kidding.

Well whenever you want the $ let me know.

KeWLKaT
02-23-2006, 09:16 PM
WTF cbehage are you on crack

with my crappy alpine stage 0 setup i ordered and a few airflow mods i will be hitting the 200 whp line fo sho.

my friend is boosted with 7 pounds and has 195 whp on his tibby

YOU HAVE 10 POUNDS of boost. airram and all that **** should bring you well over 230 whp man... :) think positive

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 09:24 PM
The dyno for 3 pulls is only $100 CDN, I added the $60 for a Generic SRI with a K&N filter from ebay. :)

To be honest though I have school and work to worry about, I can't keep making appointments to do DYNO's lol.

cbehage you're missing the whole point for this thread, I know I don't have exact #'s on my gains since I lacked the before and after. But can you honestly tell me that a stock 02 Elantra is pushing 120 WHP's? even if it did that would mean I still got at least 6.5 - 10 WHP and up to 15- 18 lbs which is still pretty good for a SRI and minimal piping with a magnaflow muffler.

The whole point was to validate weapon-r intakes as a option to use for our cars. Now if you guys raise 75% ($75 CDN) of the money, I'll put the stock air box in without the resonator and pay the remaining $25 CDN do another dyno.

robs02elantra
02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I think that we can do that. I'll see how many people reply to my other thread though.

cbehage
02-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Dyno before what, The new engine, manual trans, airram, all of them?

I am glad you saw gains and took initiative to dyno it. Keep up the good work. I am not trying to bash anyone here. (maybe Weapon R).

Why am I on crack, Low HP estimate? You think higher?

I have $5 in my paypal for you to get some #'s

I am done with this topic.

mtlelantra
02-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Here compare all you want with other dyno's:

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4877

Most of the ones that have similar numbers to me have a cat-back exhaust, CAI, Headers, PIM, BBTB, My car on the other hand ONLY has the Weapon-R intake and Exhaust running from the Stock Resonator 2.5' piping into a 2.25 Magnaflow exhaust.

pumbaa before his manifold and tharptroy put down similar numbers with similar mods 'cept they had CAIs... but we know from Ford that side-by-side SRI and CAI gives same HP gains.
sure you get gains over stock... I'll bet that filter has good flow... but if you have a similar length/ID tube and use the weapon r filter, I'll bet you see identical results.
I guess what's important is that as long as you're happy that the performance is worth the price, then good on ya!

wagonofhell
02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
i just think that power band is not ggod at all you have good power but if you look at the torqu it gose up and down it cant make up its mind. i mean what dose it want to do go up or go down? i bet the stock curv is smother then that(not as much power but smother band of power). i think the real diff is in the filter thou not just the tubing, if i read the web site right then the air flows throu the filter and is directed in such a way(ventury) that speeds up the air in the inner tube(still not worth 200). i think that is right correct me if i am wrong. i got a 99 elantra with a tibby cai from ebay works great and sounds good to for 37 bucks shipped. i am going to post some pics on diffrent thread when i get my car fixxed.i would be willing to give 5 if the faver returned it self latter :D :D :D :D :D

aLoNe I bReAk
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
The dyno for 3 pulls is only $100 CDNWhere are your other two pulls? Even if all 3 pulls (which you did pay for correct?) were done with the Weapon-R you should post all 3. Then we could take the average gains. BUT, I would have used the first pull with the stock intake parts, then the last 2 on the Weapon-R. Even if, and yes I beleive it is possible, for this SRI to make those gains, I don't think any DYNO can truly simulate what a CAI can do at WOT when all that air is rushing thru your car (did that make sense?).

4mynikka
02-23-2006, 11:00 PM
that's the sheet they gave me, the had a 1500 whp car there (a hot rod of some sort)and I was too busy looking at it to pay attention to the pulls, I just wanted it done with, Plus I was nervous I never heard my car pushed sooo hard before.

And yes I paid for it. The whole point of this was to give weapon-r a credible source for their SRI's as a hassle free and easier option to a CAI.

robs02elantra
02-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Plus I was nervous I never heard my car pushed sooo hard before.

haha, and to think, you want to raise your redline!

fifthgear
09-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice to see someone else with the Canadian Tire Reflex wiper blades... mine are living up the hype... impressed so far :D

I have them too, but have been getting a lot of chatter unless theres enough liquid on the winshield.

fifthgear
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Yayyyyyyyyy my COSMO Racing SRI is in! Install tomorrow (too tired and raining, so it won't be tonight unfortunately). I wanna do a proper job.

robs02elantra
09-25-2006, 06:05 PM
have fun with that. It's hard getting the resonator box off...but once you get it all apart, it shouldn't take more than 7 minutes to put the SRI on your car.

fifthgear
09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Ooo that's what your Elantra looks like? Nice. Did you get my pm?