Drying Your Car [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Drying Your Car

scampbell1324
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I know it sounds simple, but I know almost everyone here has a problem with drying. You get that string of water after you drive away. And you thought you dried EVERYHTING!!!! Roar.

But anyway, after your done washing your car, make sure you’re not in the sun. Duh. Wait a minute or too for the excess water to run off your car. Then dry from top to bottom. Also Duh. Then, you get the spots that leave the water. The five most places to dry are…

1) The trunk. Pop the trunk and get dry around the edges on the trunk, and the car. Maybe it's just my car, but it seems that a lot of water gets in there. (2003 GT)

2) The gas tank latch. Pop open that also, and dry that out. It’s also a good idea to wash your gas cap once in a while, just to get all of the gas off it. Gas helps rust, that’s why you see some cars start to rust around the gas cap. Also, salt and stuff from the road gets in there.

3) The door jams. After your done drying your car, open all of your doors, (weather it's 4 or 5,) and dry the doorframe and the door; Make sure you get under the door too.

4) The back license plate. Because the license plate doesn't have anything wrapped around it, water gets behind it. Water also gets behind the license plate cover or trim, if you have one. If you’re OCD, then unscrew the plate and dry. If your just at the easy wash, leave the bottom screws off the plate and just lift it, and dry.

5) The headlights. When you wash your car, water gets in to the engine compartment. So pop the hood, and dry the edges of the hood, then dry the backside of the headlight. And it you want, dry around the fogs too; if you have them.

There you have it. The five worst places for people who love to keep their cars clean.

Have any others? Add :)

ninja
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
the side mirrors. water gets behind the mirrors and its a pain getting it out.

use a credit card and a towel to get it ;)

f1guy68
03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Good advice above ;)

Another option is to take your shop vac or equivalent, and mount the hose on the blower port (if so equipped) and use the higher airflow to help push the water out of the crevices. Even better if you have a crevice nozzle that will increase the air flow!

I must advise you to be sure that your vacuum is clean and empty, or will not blow what's inside of it out and all over the vehicle!

Tyburn
03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
make sure the soap and water is completely gone under the wipers, leaves stupid marks on the windshield

open the engine bay AFTER drying the hood completely and see if there's still water and soap on the coner

open the windows and clean the top corner of the window, and use the creditcard method to clean inside where window goes in and out (what do ya call that?) both top and bottom. Soap gets stuck in there

hyunelan2
03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
And before you call it 'done' open and close the doors a few times, which will jar loose some of the water that would end up all over the side of your car.

You think the Elantra is bad with 'hidden water' - my Santa Fe is friggin impossible to drive after washing without getting the water marks down the side of the vehicle.

scampbell1324
03-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Cool, didn't know this post would have alot of traffic, i was just kinda bored in school. :tongue: :thumbsup:

robs02elantra
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
3) The door jams. After your done drying your car, open all of your doors, (weather it's 4 or 5,) and dry the doorframe and the door; Make sure you get under the door too.

If you get your car sprayed with oil each autumn before the winter hits to prevent rust, don't do this one. This area is treated with oil and wiping off water and cleaning solutions can also get rid of the residue oil that is left behind for the purpose of protecting this area of the car for the winter.

In the spring, summer and autumn (before you get the car sprayed, and I'm not talking about NOS) go for this step, it's a great place to get rid of that stupid water. Just don't do it through the winter.

Mr. Dan
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
There is a big straight stretch between the car wash and my apartment. I rip down that and dry what comes out when I park the car at home. Works every time. :)

I do the under the hood, in the trunk and in the door frames too though. No matter how thorough I am at the car wash, when I park the car at home I have lots of drips, which is why I count on the "air dry" system to find any hidden water.

scampbell1324
03-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Yea air dry works some times:). Unless it's really hot, and the spot just dry on the way home :p