Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Gas choice

8K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  WytchDctr 
#1 ·
I have a quick question... What kind of gas do you guys use? I know that if your gas is low octane, the engine suffers. Well, I use 95 octane gas (used to be 98 but it has too much sulphor in it) and wanted to hear what more experienced people (you) use...

#4 ·
run what the car is designed for. tho your quality in gas isn't as good as over here (thats my understanding at least)

#8 · (Edited)
Don't Europeans go by a different set of octane numbers? Thus their 95 is like our 87... i forget how it goes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

Different countries have some variation in what RON (Research Octane Number) is standard for gasoline, or petrol. In the UK, ordinary regular unleaded petrol is 91 RON (not commonly available), premium unleaded petrol is always 95 RON, and super unleaded is usually 97-98 RON. In the US, octane ratings in fuels can vary between 86-87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 (94-95) for mid-grade (European Premium), up to 90-94 (RON 95-99) for premium unleaded or E10 (Super in Europe)

Correction:
So 91RON in europe is our 86-87 in US

So you running 95 in Europe is like us running 89 in US.

#9 ·
I use ONLY Shell brand gasoline, AND after a month trial of using mid-grade 89 octane I have fouund an increase of 2+ MPG in both of my 05 Elantras, one is a manual with 18,500 miles, and the other is an automatic with 6,500 miles.

#13 ·
you're imagining the difference. the car is designed for 87 thus use it. theres no need to use higher unless you're boosted or spraying. as far the ethanol question its perfectly fine to use as long as its such a small percentage.

#15 ·
iaspurchase said:
Shell in NJ now has 10% Ethanol in all their grades. Im wondering if this is harmful to
the Elantra's engine?
10% or less is ok anything more will start giving you problems. Large amounts of Ethanol will cause the rubber parts in the fuel system to deteriorate. But worst damage will be to your pistons and cylinder walls there is not enough lubrication with alcohol/Ethanol based fuels it washes the oil off of the cylinder walls and this causes the pistons and cylinders to wear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's a letter from hyundai to all dealers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 06/06/2006

TO: All Hyundai Dealership Service Managers

SUBJECT: Use of E85 – Alternative Fuel

E85 fuel is an alternative fuel comprised of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, and is manufactured exclusively for use in Flexible Fuel Vehicles. E85 is not compatible with current Hyundai models. Use of E85 in Hyundai vehicles may result in poor engine performance and damage to the vehicle¡¯s engine and fuel system.

Hyundai recommends that customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 10 percent. Damage resulting from the use of E85 is not covered under Hyundai warranties.

#17 ·
Cypher said:
you're imagining the difference. the car is designed for 87 thus use it. theres no need to use higher unless you're boosted or spraying. as far the ethanol question its perfectly fine to use as long as its such a small percentage.
I know I didn't imagine the difference. I am getting quite a bit better MPG now that I am using 89 in both my 04 XD, and our new 06 NF Sonata.

#18 ·
If the move in this country is to Ethanol, I would think that Ethanol will become even
a larger percentage than the current 10%. So what happens when all gas is say 30, 40
or 50% ethanol?? Will Elantras have to be parked and NOTdriven??

Does anyone know here which gasoline brands currently still have no Ethanol??

#20 ·
The ecm was tuned on 87... going over when your not pining will do nothing. That is not true for cars with ecms made to run 93. They will see an "increase" because with the lower octane itll pull timing etc. They run 93 and the ecm returns to normal. Those that see an increase with 93 how did you check it to make sure your increase wasn't from weather changes etc.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.