Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Timing Belt / Chain?!

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DJ Hellfire 
#1 ·
i am approching 50,000 miles and i want to change my timing belt, but when i was browsing hyundaipartsonline.com i found a Timing Belt and a timing Chain for an 02 Hundai 2.0L, so now i'm questioning if i even have a belt? might it be a chain? and if i have a belt can i switch it over to be a chain, is there any way to tell besides ripping the engine apart?

details 2002 Hundai Elantra GT 5speed 2.0L

#3 ·
You have both, but the chain connects the two cam shafts. The belt drives the sprocket that drives the chain. The chain should be good for well over 200000 miles with factory or mild valve springs. There isn't any option to go either way as far as replacements, you change the belt with another belt every 60k and the chain at ooohh say when you change the cams or springs out.

#5 · (Edited)
gwayn said:
You have both, but the chain connects the two cam shafts.

Which is sweet because you don't need to remove the valve cover to do the timing belt. The chain keeps the two cams timed together properly, so all you have to do is set the cam sprocket and the crank and pop your belt on. However, I would replace the timing belt tensioner as well. It's just a good practice so you know it's less chance of a future problem there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.