Color matching? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Color matching?

Wil
07-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I had a minor run-in with some flying road debris and had to have my front bumper replaced. I'm not entirely happy with the paint job that they did at the body shop - I can see an ever so slight difference between the color of the new bumper and the color of the rest of the car. Other people say it isn't noticeable, but I can see it.

Do you think that it will look better with time as it fades, or should I go back to the body shop and see if they can fix it? Would a second painting be necessary, and if so would I have to pay for it? (I didn't have to pay for the original body work - the trucking company that caused the road debris paid the entire bill.) It is Chianti Red, btw.

Thanks,

Wil

:mad:

SWortham
07-17-2004, 04:14 PM
I noticed the same thing with my rear bumper when I had it replaced. It's a very slight difference and nobody can tell but me. So I didn't do anything about it.

But I guess it depends. You could talk to the body shop about it and see if they'll fix it free of charge or what.

04 elantra cvvt
07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Well with time, it will fade, but so will the rest of the paint. I would go back to the body shop and talk to them. I had the same thing happen on my Camaro, and never did anything about it, but with timeit only got worse. I highly recomend talking to them. Any reputable body shop should honor a warranty on the job and fix it with no problems.

2XDreme
07-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Off topic here but Wil - what's with the avatar?
lil concerned :cool:

watson80
07-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Wil is an abstract thinker with very artistic tendencies. His Avatar is explaining the Apex of his thought process. That is my psychiatric evaluation and obviously a joke!

04 elantra cvvt
07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
That's cool, but what ever happened with the paint match?

watson80
07-19-2004, 10:05 AM
If I could tell my paint didnt match I would want it fixed. I am very picky about my car!

Wil
07-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Well, here's what I've done so far...

Over the weekend I gave the car a good wash and waxed everything except the front bumper. I hoped that if everything was as nice and shiny as the front bumper it would look better. Unfortunately, it didn't really look better - now I just had a clean and shiny car with a mismatched bumper.

Soooo... I just called the body shop back and made an appointment to have the car back in on Monday (my day off). I'll let you know what happens from here on.

Wil

04 elantra cvvt
07-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I think they'll take care of it. They better anyway.

watson80
07-21-2004, 03:23 PM
If they are a good business this should get taken care of with no hassle!

Wil
07-26-2004, 12:23 AM
OK... maybe I AM going crazy. I had some people over this weekend and no one but me could see any difference in the color of the car and the new bumper. I'm supposed to take it in to the body shop tomorrow morning, but now I'm having second thoughts. Arrrrrgh! :confused:

04 elantra cvvt
07-26-2004, 12:56 AM
I would go ahead and take it in anyway. To the untrained eye, everything will look normal, but a pro can tell. Let them have a look at it, and go from there.

cclngthr
07-26-2004, 01:40 AM
I am into body/fender/painting and can easily tell whether the paint is mismatched. Usually body shops are not good at colormatching paint to the car. They tend to use the paint code and go by that without trying to actually match the paint perfectly to the car. Different brands of paint; i.e. PPG, Dupont, House of Kolor will differ slightly in their tints they use. I use Dupont and PPG and if I were to get a pint of Rally Red VX paint which is on my Elantra, the tint will be slightly off on both brands of paint. Most body shops also do not blend the new paint into the surrounding panels especially when painting bumpers.

I have my painters (including myself) retint the paint exactly to the paint that is on the car. This takes skill and time to get it exact plus we always blend the new painted panel to the surrounding panels. If I painted a front bumper or added a lip kit, I would shoot the lip kit, the bumper and go into the fenders and hood, then clear the whole nose to make it exact. I also would detail the whole vehicle to make everything matched perfectly (new paint is shinier).

I also know a repaint is 3-4 times as thick as factory paint. You cannot work with a factory paint very long because it is MUCH thinner. A repaint usually has 3 base coats and 3 clear coats. Factory paint has 1-2 light base and 1-2 light clear coats. The thinner the paint, the easier it is to chip.

04 elantra cvvt
07-26-2004, 09:48 AM
The other thing that is needed is flex additive on plastic parts. The shop that did my old car never used any of this, and my front bumper cover cracked and chipped to hell.

watson80
07-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully this will get resolved easily and with no major hassles!

cclngthr
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
On Hyundai replacement bumpers, which are unpainted, they first have to be treated before primed and painted. Oils in the bumper material will seem to the surface when it gets hot and the paint will flake off, even with the flex additive mixed in.

I have to heat treat and wash it with a thinner to get the paint to stick.

04 elantra cvvt
07-27-2004, 01:00 AM
It sounds like you know what you are doing.

watson80
07-27-2004, 09:29 AM
why are the bumpers like that? Is it just a more durable material or what?

04 elantra cvvt
07-27-2004, 09:51 AM
No, just a different material. Plastic does not take paint like metal. The pores in the plastic are bigger and more irregular than metal. So it takes more prep work to make it look right.

cclngthr
07-29-2004, 03:17 AM
why are the bumpers like that? Is it just a more durable material or what?

All Hyundai bumper covers come unpainted and untreated. Toyota also does the same. I have tried requesting the bumpers come finished, but they don't.

To get the paint to adhere to it, even with the flex additive, you have to heat treat and wash the bumper raw material with a solvent. You could treat it without baking it, but the paint still does not stick that well.

It isn't because the bumpers are better, it is because they come unfinished. This is the problem. Most companies will prime the bumpers before shipping them to the body shop or the dealer.

watson80
07-29-2004, 03:39 PM
I gotcha I thought there was some special catch to it like they where stronger or something!

Wil
08-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Just an update... I finally got the car in to the shop today for them to take a look at it, and they agreed with me that it doesn't match and are going to repaint it the week after next.

Happy happy joy joy!!!

Wil

04 elantra cvvt
08-10-2004, 12:21 AM
I am glad it worked out for you. Let us know what comes of it, and how the car turns out in the end.

bmcb
08-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Which body shop did you take it to and did the repaint come out any better? I live in your neck of the woods and am interested in getting my other car painted.
Thanx

cclngthr
08-10-2004, 01:24 AM
I have my own paint/body shop. Quite easy to fix the body for me.

What I did to my Elantra was block the factory clear way down, and shoot on a high end clear coat paint. I put a total of 10 coats of Dupont Suprashield paint. I colorsanded and buffed the new surface to get it nice and smooth. It is more resistant to rock chips and scratches than OE paints are.

Wil
08-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Which body shop did you take it to and did the repaint come out any better? I live in your neck of the woods and am interested in getting my other car painted.
Thanx

So far all the work has been done at Amato Hyundai/Mazda. That's where I bought the car.

The repaint won't be done until Aug 26 (my next weekday off).

Wil

04 elantra cvvt
08-11-2004, 01:15 AM
I can't wait to hear about how it turns out. Take care Wil.

Wil
08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Here's the final update... I took the car in yesterday and got it back this afternoon. It looks GREAT!

They said they custom mixed the paint this time. I can't see any difference between the bumper and the fender this time at all. They even gave me a bottle of the left over paint to use for touch-ups.

Wil

:)

I also should add that we just got a new digital camera this week, so as soon as we figure out how to use it I'll post some pictures so you can see what my car looks like. Just a couple of mods, but I like it...