Motorsport Ranch Track Day (July 1st) [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Motorsport Ranch Track Day (July 1st)

SWortham
07-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Yesterday was awesome. I went to a Don Herring Mitsubishi sponsored event at Motorsport Ranch and drove on this 1.7 mile track...
http://www.motorsportranch.com/1.7-road-course.cfm

It was the best racing experience I've ever had and perhaps the finale for my Elantra. The seat time we all got for the money was great. We had two 10 minute lead & follow sessions to learn the track. And then we had two 20 minute hot sessions where we drove as fast as we felt comfortable, and were allowed to pass cars in one of the 3 designated straights. That's a total of 1 hour on-track experience and about 60 miles of driving.

I was easily outclassed by most of the cars out there. And I was passed by a couple Evo's, 2 Mustang GT's, and a GTO. There were 26 Evo's out there by the way. In my car I was topping out at about 90 mph, where the stock Evo's were hitting 110 - 120.

But I was able to pass a Civic Del Sol and keep my lead from a few faster cars behind me. It was also a lot of fun following an '05 Mustang GT. He pulled far away from me on the straights but I reeled him in a little on every corner and I kept that up for a couple laps until a track yellow messed it up.

Oh, afterwards the guy in the GTO said to me, "You were really hustling that Hyundai...." and he said I was hard to pass. Kind words, no doubt, after he passed me he pulled away in a hurry, lol.

Unfortunately I don't have any in-car video, but should have some outside video & pics coming soon. :)

LateAPXR
07-02-2006, 12:40 PM
sweet :)

you can't compete with pure displacement but I'm sure your car was more fun and felt better in the corners.

SWortham
07-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Actually that GTO was faster in the corners than my car. Must have had R-compounds.

SWortham
07-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Well, this is the only picture of my car I've found so far...
http://www.nuspecracing.com/imagecenter/image.aspx?ImageID=312

With me trying to look like I'm ready for anything.