Wierd problem with Factory alarm [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Wierd problem with Factory alarm

JuMpMaN6235
07-20-2004, 04:24 PM
I have a 2001 elantra, now my alarm is really annoying, it goes off randomly, especially when it is raining, i have taken it to the hyundai dealer like 3 times, and they keep saying nothing is wrong with it....any1 ever have any similiar problems?

southpawboston
07-20-2004, 05:15 PM
try seeing if the hood switch is out of adjustment. it is mounted on the right side inner fender. there is a rubber bump-stop on the hood that depresses it. sometimes the bracket holding the switch gets bent downward slightly, causing the switch to not get depressed all the way. when the switch is only partially depressed, moisture can effectively close the circuit and trip the alarm. this is the #1 cause of funky alarm symptoms, especially when rain is involved.

if this corrects the problem, your hyundai dealer should be reported for not being able to diagnose it.

cclngthr
07-21-2004, 12:34 AM
It might be the trunk switch could be bad as well. If the light can go on, it will go off on you.

southpawboston
07-21-2004, 07:42 AM
yes, it could be the trunk switch, however this is integrated into the latch mechanism and is not exposed to the elements like the primitive push-rod switch used for the hood. when the alarm is tripped, look to see if the trunk icon light on the instrument cluster is lit.

jwoair23
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
This may sound stupid but I thought mine was going off randomly until I realized the button accidentally got pressed while I had my keys in my pocket, I dont know if that applies to you though lol

southpawboston
07-21-2004, 09:48 AM
i didn't know you could activate a "panick" mode with the remote?

Keyan
07-21-2004, 10:14 AM
04+ remotes have a panic button :)

southpawboston
07-21-2004, 11:50 AM
ahh...that explains it, thanks!

jameswing
07-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I drove my Fiance's F-150 for the first time since i got my XD last night, When I went to lokt it her panic went off. I looked down and realized that for and hyundai remotes have the unlock in the same place, but the lock and panic buttons are reversed. It was pretty fun having it go off in a busy parking lot.

JuMpMaN6235
07-21-2004, 10:16 PM
i tried looking for the rubber bump stop or the switch, but i cannot find it... is it possible for some1 to take a pic of where it is, or just

also, i dont have a panic button, so that cannot be it

cclngthr
07-22-2004, 01:40 AM
On the hood there are 4 bumpers that you screw in and out if this is what you mean.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/482847_2_full.jpg

You see them in front by the headlights and the upper radiator support brackets.

The hood pin switch is located by the power steering unit. It is non-adjustable to my knowledge.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/482847_11_full.jpg

If you have questions, PM me here or email me.

Try this. Close all of the doors and trunk, and push the switch down with your finger. Arm the system and let the button rise up a little until it goes off. If it still can go up more after the alarm goes off, it may be a defective switch. It should trip the alarm almost all the way up. Also, close the hood all the way and feel the gap between the fender and the hood. If it is up, screw in the outer two bump stops until it is almost even with the fender. Then get in, arm the alarm and pop the hood. It should go off.