best plugs & wires [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: best plugs & wires

Hon-Day04
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I was gonna do a tune up and was wondering which plugs and wires I should go with. I was thinking about the NGKs---Hon-day04

BobMs_wht2k2
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
IMO, NGK V-powers and OEM wires.

Bnystrom
08-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm using NGK V-Power plugs and NGK wires. Works great!

WytchDctr
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
OEM wires go bad to fast IMO. I got magnecor because of the warrenty.

4mynikka
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
get magnecor wires with denso iridium plugs..

jayupark
08-01-2006, 07:51 PM
NGK wires rock... the ones for the earlier elantras work for the XD's too... (they are about 1 inch too long, but it really does not make a difference).

BlackElantraGT
08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
On the OEM wires does it even state who makes them? I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by NGK, since they're already one of the OE manufacturer for the Elantra's spark plugs.

What you should get all comes down to what you want to spend. Are you looking more for longevity? Is cost an issue? Do you mind changing the spark plugs every 12,000 miles?

As far as spark plugs go, you can never go wrong with NGK's. V Powers will cost about $8-$10 after tax for a set of 4. If you don't want to change your plugs often, then you might want to consider the Iridium IX, but you'll be paying a price premium for that. That runs almost $25-30 for a set of 4 I believe. For me, I'd rather have new plugs every 12,000 miles than have the same set for 60K miles.

With wires, I would go with the NGK's since they're moderately priced. NGK's quality always meets or surpasses OEM quality so I wouldn't even recommend buying the OE wires. It doesn't make sense when you can get the same quality, if not better, at a better price. I have Magnecor wires and they've worked great and you can't beat a lifetime guarantee, but for some people it might not be worth the price premium, especially since most place seems to sell them for over $95 now.

Off topic: I thought that NGK Iridium IX were expensive, until a few weeks ago I was browsing the items at Super Autobacs (a mega-auto store with tons of aftermarket parts) and they had a set of 2 STi spark plugs made by NGK that cost $98. HOLY $HIT! $200 for a set of 4 spark plugs? I thought that was crazy. It made the TRD spark plugs (can't remember if Denso or NGK made them) look cheap at $67 for a set of 2.

Bnystrom
08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
The stock wires are carbon core, the same as OEM wires have been for decades. They wear out over time. NGK wires are magnetic-suppression-style with a wound metal conductor that doesn't wear out with use. They fit perfectly. Considering that they're cheaper as well, it makes no sense to buy OEM wires based on inferior technology.

Hon-Day04
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys. I think the NGK plugs and wires will do it for me. I was talkin 2 a guy at the gas station who was a manager for Autozone. He told me to get some Denso's that were made by NGK. Anyone heard of these?--Hon-day04

hyunelan2
08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Looking at sparkplugs.com ( http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1386503 ) - are the plain-jane ones at the bottom of the list the same as OEM (the BKR5ES-11)? I've got 51,000 miles on original plugs and wires. I'll be changing them soon, but if the OEM stuff lasted 50,000 miles, seems like the logical choice would be to put in the same thing?

BobMs_wht2k2
08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I actually paid less for OEM wires than the NGK wires would have cost me ($14 is $14) and $1.50 each for NGK V-power plugs. Well worth the money.

Bnystrom
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Looking at sparkplugs.com ( http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1386503 ) - are the plain-jane ones at the bottom of the list the same as OEM (the BKR5ES-11)?

No, they're the standard NGK copper plugs. The stock Elantra plugs are platinum.

The next ones up in the list (BKR5E-11) are the V-Power plugs. Since they're the same price as the standard plugs, there's no point in not buying them. BTW, Pep Boys had them on sale for $1.84 each not long ago. If you have a store near you, check it out.

Hon-Day04
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
where's the best place to get the NGK wires at online? I went to 2 local auto parts stores and they can't even order them! Also, I understand that the OEM plugs are platinum. Are the V-powers platinum as well? Would Iridium be any better or a waste or $$$$? Thanx---Hon-day04

Bnystrom
08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
where's the best place to get the NGK wires at online? I went to 2 local auto parts stores and they can't even order them! Also, I understand that the OEM plugs are platinum. Are the V-powers platinum as well?
No, they're copper. Better performance, but shorter life

Would Iridium be any better or a waste or $$$$?
IMO, iridium plugs are a waste of money unless all you care about is long plug-change intervals.