Automatic tranny fluid [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Automatic tranny fluid

rkershenbaum
08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Hello! My wife just had a rebuilt transmission installed in her 1997 Elantra wagon. (Can't complain, since the first one lasted 170,000 miles.)

When we got the bill from the shop (not a Hyundai dealer), I noticed that they had filled the transmission with ATF+3 fluid (Type MS-7176). My understanding was that 1996 and later Hyundais should only use SP-II/III fluid.

The owner of the shop called the transmission rebuilder, and they said that ATF+3 is fine in this transmission. So I consulted the Hyundai TSBs on the WebTech site. TSB 97-40-018 says to use type 7176 fluid for the 1997 model. However, TSB 98-40-010 says "For 1996-99 vehicles, use only SP-II ATF." So the two contradict each other.

The shop owner says that MS-7176 fluid will not damage the transmission in any way, but that SP-III will probably last longer. Since there's some question about using MS-7176, though, he's offered to flush and replace the fluid for only the cost of the new fluid.

Any thoughts on this from Hyundai techs out there?

jalmir
08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
ATF+3 is another name for SP-III tranny oil, SP-III/ATF+3 IS compatible with SP-II tranny, you don't have to panic, everything is ok, the tranny place did their job well!

rkershenbaum
08-07-2006, 02:22 PM
ATF+3 is another name for SP-III tranny oil, SP-III/ATF+3 IS compatible with SP-II tranny, you don't have to panic, everything is ok, the tranny place did their job well!

From what I'm able to find, the two fluids do have different additives -- so they're somewhat different. I'm just not sure how significant the difference is.

HYTECH
08-07-2006, 02:51 PM
atf+3 is not the same as sp-III it will cause problems in 96 or newer cars

silet
08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
ATF+3 is for Chrysler and Mitsubishi and in theory should work in Hyundai automatics. I would get SPIII. The cost of the fluid is nothing compared to what the new tranny cost you already, correct?

jalmir
08-07-2006, 03:12 PM
From what I gathered the ATF+3 is fully compatible with Hyundai SP-III transmissions ... so if the maker of the oil says it's compatible I wouldn't ask any questions and keep a bottle as a proof is something ever happens!

Pesonally I stick with the dealer for any tranny problems!

cclngthr
08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
From what I gathered the ATF+3 is fully compatible with Hyundai SP-III transmissions ... so if the maker of the oil says it's compatible I wouldn't ask any questions and keep a bottle as a proof is something ever happens!

Pesonally I stick with the dealer for any tranny problems!

ATF+3 IS NOT COMPATABLE OR EVEN THE SAME AS SP-III Fluid.

How stupid can people be. ATF+3 is a Chrysler fluid. SP-III is used in Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi cars. The difference between ATF+3 and SP-III is in the additives and friction additives. SP-III fluid works well with Hyundai transmissions and ATF+3; according to a Hyundai TSB is not compatable with the plastics and friction material.

BobMs_wht2k2
08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
^^ Correct. The oil manufacturer will say anything to sell more oil.

HYTECH
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Bottle It Will Say It Is Aproved By Hyundai But They Don't Tell You What Year. It Is Not Aproved For 96 Or Newer

jalmir
08-07-2006, 10:01 PM
^^^

according to the bottle it is approved for SP-II and SP-III transmissions ... I didn't bought or add any in my transmission but a lot of ppl might had!

If it's not compatible why are they selling it like it is ???

Someone should sue their sorry @sses !!!

rkershenbaum
08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Well, obviously there's a lot of confusion about this. But nowhere does Hyundai recommend anything but SP-II/III fluid (even though others might). So we're going to go ahead and let the shop flush and refill the tranny with what Hyundai recommends. Just seems like the safest move.

cclngthr
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
On The Bottle It Will Say It Is Aproved By Hyundai But They Don't Tell You What Year. It Is Not Aproved For 96 Or Newer

Amsoil universal ATF is also *claimed* to be compatable with Hyundai's as well, BUT I just replaced a 2001 Tiburon transmission that had that fluid in it, and was about 1,000 miles into the Amsoil fluid. Obviously that don't work.

Equus on EC (an engineer for HMC) told me there is no fluid compatable with SP-III. We have gone through many threads about the automatic transmission and the requirement that SP-III fluid must be used. The TSB on fluid levels and fluid requirements also states that Dexron/Mercon, Type F, ATF+3, or any other type of trans fluid is capable of damaging the internals of the trans and WILL void the warranty on the tranny.

rkershenbaum
08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Yes, I found it: TSB #03-40-019. That seems to clinch it.

HYTECH
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes, I found it: TSB #03-40-019. That seems to clinch it.

USE OF NON-APPROVED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS:

Only Hyundai SPIII is approved for use in Hyundai vehicles beginning with the 1996 model year. Use of aftermarket additives or other types of ATF, such as Chrysler/Mopar ATF+3, Dexron and Mercon, are not approved for use in Hyundai vehicles and may affect driveability or damage the transaxle. Damage caused by a non-specified fluid is not covered by your new vehicle limited warranty.

rkershenbaum
08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Yep. I e-mailed that to the shop owner. That settles it for us, although it's odd that the rebuilder of the transmission (Certified Transmission, a big outfit) would say MS-7176 is ok.

Regardless, the fluid is being changed to SP-III right now. That certainly seems like the safest move.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

cclngthr
08-08-2006, 12:35 PM
A lot of independent shops AND some dealers do not realize that SP-III fluid has to be used in all Hyundai's. I have heard that dealers are installing Castrol ATF+3 according to what they are told by HMA.

HYTECH
08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
about a year ago we (my dealer) got a letter from hyundai stating that we must use sp-III and the parts department must stock cooler flush or they will not warranty any trans. issues (we have only used sp-II and sp-III) so I guess this went out to more dealers than just mine. they must have found problems with dealers using atf+III

BobMs_wht2k2
08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Here in Indy, there was a Hyundai Dodge dealer that was doing just that. They were using Dodge ATF+3 because it was cheaper and then charging out SPIII to make a better profit. They had 4 warranty claims rejected within 2 months because of fluid contamination and shortly there after the bulletin was released.

cclngthr
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
about a year ago we (my dealer) got a letter from hyundai stating that we must use sp-III and the parts department must stock cooler flush or they will not warranty any trans. issues (we have only used sp-II and sp-III) so I guess this went out to more dealers than just mine. they must have found problems with dealers using atf+III

In Oklahoma City, there are 3 dealers that STill use Castrol ATF+3. In Virginia, there is a couple more dealers that also use ATF+3.

Here in Indy, there was a Hyundai Dodge dealer that was doing just that. They were using Dodge ATF+3 because it was cheaper and then charging out SPIII to make a better profit. They had 4 warranty claims rejected within 2 months because of fluid contamination and shortly there after the bulletin was released.

Even HMA is not consistant with the requirements. From what I hear (I call the tech line sometimes and consumer affairs) even the person on the phone gives me conflicting info. Some say that ATF+3 is ok, but others tell me use SP-III fluid.

Hyundai better get its act together.

BobMs_wht2k2
08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I can tell you that Jiffy lube bought a customer a tranny because of Dex III. It took all of 72 miles to cook that RD.

cclngthr
08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I can tell you that Jiffy lube bought a customer a tranny because of Dex III. It took all of 72 miles to cook that RD.

I lost count how many Jiffy Lube ****ups I've had... about 3 of the 5 trans I've replaced in the last 5 months are Jiffy Lube specials. Another was a trans shop ****up.

Jiffy Lube and Buckys need to close down.

HYTECH
08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
I Just Put An Engine In A 06 Sonata Because Of A Jiffylube Oil Filter

cclngthr
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm also doing the same thing to an 06 Sonata with the theta 2.4 I4. Who knows what I'll get next week.

Talk about bastiges working on Hyundai's and ****ing up. On EC, there is a guy who just bought an 02 Elantra GLS with the auto and he found the car is having the 2-3 shift flare and the car was serviced at a generic quicky lube and a *generic* trans fluid with an additive not to long ago. Now, the trans is having trouble. I remember DJ-Hellfire had issues with his auto trans after Jiffy Lube put Dexron in it.

I keep *reminding* people with Hyundai's to use SP-III and ensure that fluid be used at all times.

What I am concerned with is these cars down the road. About 10-15 years down the road, are these cars going to be on the road or going to have constant transmission problems because some jackass won't follow protocol and use SP-III. I know rebuild kits are not available and I doubt any aftermarket kit would work.

Proteus
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM

I've heard of Fram oil filters toasting Elantra engines also. Is there an aftermarket brand that's ok to use, or do we have to stick with Hyundai OEM oil filters, too?
I was planning on changing the oil & filter in my Elantra this weekend, and I'd rather not have to go to my dealer to get an oil filter (30 min drive away). But I also don't want to ruin my engine with an evil oil filter...

BobMs_wht2k2
08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
IMO, best thing to do is buy 4 or 5 at once and keep them on hand. I typically have 1-2 in the garage waiting.

Proteus
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
IMO, best thing to do is buy 4 or 5 at once and keep them on hand. I typically have 1-2 in the garage waiting.

That makes sense... I might do just that. So I'm assuming you also mean that using any aftermarket oil filters is probably a bad idea?

BobMs_wht2k2
08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
In my experience, I don't trust any. Some have had luck with Pure1's, but I'll stay OEM. I KNOW it was designed for the car.

cclngthr
08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Wix oil filters work.

zx2uner
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Wix oil filters work.

Carquest are wix filters, that's what I use, and they work great too.

GSEREP1
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
My daughter's 2003 Elantra GT has had AMSOIL synthetic Fluid in the transmission for well over 2 years now. I installed it at 30,000 miles after drainng the original fluid, changed it again at 70,000 miles and it still works great. Shifts are crisp and strong, and the fluid looked clean even when I drained it. Sorry to hear of your transmission failure.

I don't want to mislead anyone...use the factory recommended SP-III to be safe if you want to. I chose to use AMSOIL and have never regretted it.
Just my $.02

cclngthr
08-12-2006, 05:31 PM
My daughter's 2003 Elantra GT has had AMSOIL synthetic Fluid in the transmission for well over 2 years now. I installed it at 30,000 miles after drainng the original fluid, changed it again at 70,000 miles and it still works great. Shifts are crisp and strong, and the fluid looked clean even when I drained it. Sorry to hear of your transmission failure.

I don't want to mislead anyone...use the factory recommended SP-III to be safe if you want to. I chose to use AMSOIL and have never regretted it.
Just my $.02

However, about a month ago, I did replace a Tib auto trans that had that fluid in it for 1,000 miles. No mods. When you put anything else in it, it voids the warranty.

cmray
09-05-2006, 07:46 PM
My 2005 Elantra GT is at the dealership having the transmission replaced. I had the tx fluid changed at Jiffy Lube per their recommendations(30K)..and whatever they did to it...really screwed up my car. I would pull into a driveway and my car wouldn't shift into 1st gear. I would coast to a stop light before applying the brakes, and the car would radically shift down from 2nd to first...I would be accelerating from 30-40 mph and the car would have a hell of a time shifting up. This all occurred within 2-3 blocks away after I left Jiffy Lube..and paid over 250.00 for services, which included transmission fluid change, radiator flush an oil change, inspection and new wiper blades. Of course, Jiffy Lube claims they did everything right, and used Hyundai approved products and the dealership is trying to help me by simply replacing the transmission. The hyundai service man said, and I quote..."I don't want to hear about any of the history you have had with Jiffy Lube. Just have the car towed here and we will just write it up as transmission problems, and take care of it under your warranty." So, I am keeping my mouth shut and pray that there won't be any residual problems later on....and I am only going to my dealership from now on for service.

cclngthr
09-05-2006, 11:25 PM
My 2005 Elantra GT is at the dealership having the transmission replaced. I had the tx fluid changed at Jiffy Lube per their recommendations(30K)..and whatever they did to it...really screwed up my car. I would pull into a driveway and my car wouldn't shift into 1st gear. I would coast to a stop light before applying the brakes, and the car would radically shift down from 2nd to first...I would be accelerating from 30-40 mph and the car would have a hell of a time shifting up. This all occurred within 2-3 blocks away after I left Jiffy Lube..and paid over 250.00 for services, which included transmission fluid change, radiator flush an oil change, inspection and new wiper blades. Of course, Jiffy Lube claims they did everything right, and used Hyundai approved products and the dealership is trying to help me by simply replacing the transmission. The hyundai service man said, and I quote..."I don't want to hear about any of the history you have had with Jiffy Lube. Just have the car towed here and we will just write it up as transmission problems, and take care of it under your warranty." So, I am keeping my mouth shut and pray that there won't be any residual problems later on....and I am only going to my dealership from now on for service.

What Jiffy Lube ans most trans shops do is put Dexron in the trans, not SP-III. What information they get is coming from oil company sources, not the auto manufacturer.