paint spot on roof, warranty question... [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: paint spot on roof, warranty question...

Dave from NY
07-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Our 2003 GLS was in for minor warrantied repair work, as well as having a spot on the roof looked at. It was small bubble under the clearcoat. They just called and said it needs more extensive work than the dealer paint guy can do, so they are going to make an appointment with their contract paint shop. Best news though is they are warrantying it. Since they are going to cover it, Am I correct in assuming that it HAS to go to the shop they specify? Should I also be worried that this car is only a 2003 and has apparently developed rust? The clearcoat is not broken or cracked over the spot. So maybe it was a defect when the car was painted and clearcoated when it was built?

cclngthr
07-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Our 2003 GLS was in for minor warrantied repair work, as well as having a spot on the roof looked at. It was small bubble under the clearcoat. They just called and said it needs more extensive work than the dealer paint guy can do, so they are going to make an appointment with their contract paint shop. Best news though is they are warrantying it. Since they are going to cover it, Am I correct in assuming that it HAS to go to the shop they specify? Should I also be worried that this car is only a 2003 and has apparently developed rust? The clearcoat is not broken or cracked over the spot. So maybe it was a defect when the car was painted and clearcoated when it was built?

It is likely moisture got between the clearcoat and the basecoat and that has caused it to lift; or, the whole base/clear lifted off the primer, or the primer lifted as well. Sometimes if oils are on the surface, this will cause paint to lift as well.

The dealer cannot paint the car in their shop because they don't have the necessary equipment. A body shop has to do it. Dealers often farm out the work if they are not equipped to do it. My shop has 2 sites, 1 has a body shop paint area and the other is for general mechanical work. We can't have both sites together because of the regulations and the needed equipment.

gunwoo82
07-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem here. well mine was way worse, under my clear coat the paint started to crack and it just broke out with the clearcoat. I had those marks on my hood, roof, trunk, driverside door. I have 03 GT sedan dark blue. They said it needs to be sent out to a body shop and it took them about 10 days to get it all done. they only gave me 5 days for loaner car. car came back okay and I thought it was over but now I have another problem, they didn't finish the clearcoat around the door mold, its pilling again so I have to bring it back in again. They better give a loaners car this time for the time they work on my car. When you go in, tell them you need the loaner car and ***** about it they will give it to you. I had to fight with them for all week before I brought my car in. They are not require to give you a loaner car but if the job takes more than 2 days they should give you. I might sound like a ***** about the loaner car but how about year old car with paint problem didn't seem like resonable.

cclngthr
07-29-2004, 06:47 PM
A lot of the new paints are water based that don't stick worth ****. On my car, the paint is OK and sticking, but I put about 5 extra coats of clear on top of what was already there. I wound up taking most of the clear off the car and reshooting about 10 coats of clear and colorsanding that down to 5 coats. Looks a lot better than what was there.

gunwoo82
07-30-2004, 03:16 AM
how much did it cost to do all that?

Dave from NY
07-30-2004, 10:53 AM
I called and they said the same thing, Sorry, we only give them out if the car is in because of work that takes more than 2 days, transmission, engine etc... and also called Hyundai consumer help and they were useless. Each dealership makes its own rules on this I guess. it's not going in till the end of August, so I have a 3 weeks to be a PITA until they relent heh.

I had the same problem here. well mine was way worse, under my clear coat the paint started to crack and it just broke out with the clearcoat. I had those marks on my hood, roof, trunk, driverside door. I have 03 GT sedan dark blue. They said it needs to be sent out to a body shop and it took them about 10 days to get it all done. they only gave me 5 days for loaner car. car came back okay and I thought it was over but now I have another problem, they didn't finish the clearcoat around the door mold, its pilling again so I have to bring it back in again. They better give a loaners car this time for the time they work on my car. When you go in, tell them you need the loaner car and ***** about it they will give it to you. I had to fight with them for all week before I brought my car in. They are not require to give you a loaner car but if the job takes more than 2 days they should give you. I might sound like a ***** about the loaner car but how about year old car with paint problem didn't seem like resonable.

cclngthr
07-30-2004, 05:29 PM
how much did it cost to do all that?

If you are referring to me and the extra clear I shot on, it was extra stuff I used on several cars I painted. I had about a gallon left and wanted to use it to get rid of it. I bought about 5 gallons of clear to do 5 cars but I only used 1/2 - 3/4 gallon for each car. The clear is about $350 a gallon at my cost (to you, that might be :eek2: but $350 is cheaper than paying the regular $650 a gallon.

04GTboySC
08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
im getting my roof fixed since last monday evening hopefully it will be complete this afternoon, they said friday that they were doin body work to it and was like wtf they said they sanded the whole intire roof and re did the steps of painting it so it will be like brand new again, hope it looks that way

Dave from NY
08-16-2004, 03:35 PM
im getting my roof fixed since last monday evening hopefully it will be complete this afternoon, they said friday that they were doin body work to it and was like wtf they said they sanded the whole intire roof and re did the steps of painting it so it will be like brand new again, hope it looks that way

Good point. It's dime size on mine, so I need to find out if they are going to paint the whole roof or just repair the spot.
good luck, and hope it turns out good for ya.