Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

New Sonata!

18K views 86 replies 38 participants last post by  2001GLS 
#1 ·

Spy pics found on SS.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I think it's slated for the 06 model year, due out late next summer, the same time as the 7-passenger Santa Fe. I think I like it alot. Now let's hope they put some power into it, and it'll be my XD replacement in ~07 or 08.

#7 ·
Did some more research, here's what I found
The enginesThey area 2.4L 4 cyl making roughly 160 hp. and a 3.3L all aluminum V6 running in the 215-230 hp. range. Expect more torque than HP. I believe the 4cyl. will retain the 5 manual and 4 speed auto. I don't know about the V6 stick, but if you look at the older spy pics, the test cars have the Tib's 6-speed in them. Auto trans. should be a 5-speed auto.

#10 ·
And for any non-believers that this is actually the new sonata, here's your definative proof:

#13 ·
I also thought N2O - Nitrous! when I read that. Those are the Koread badging though, got it from BobaeDream. I really hope they come through with that 3.3L at 215-230 HP for the U.S. cars. That'll make me like the car even more.

#14 ·
Yeah, there's no way the North American version will have a 2.0L. Is that 2.4L mentioned the new Theta engine jointly produced with DaimlerChrysler?

#16 ·
Hard to tell. I know Dodge has been selling Accents (Vernas) as Dodge Vernas in Mexico, among other places.

That car looks real sharp. I only really found the Elantras and Tiburons to be stylish, none of the other cars had really struck me before. The new Accent was a step in the right direction, but the new-new Accent and especially this Sonata look really sharp.

#17 ·
Leviathant said:
That car looks real sharp. I only really found the Elantras and Tiburons to be stylish, none of the other cars had really struck me before.
My thoughts exactly. Hyundai had a bubbly theme for awhile. I hate bubbles.

The XD and the 03+ Tiburons were the exception. If this Sonata is any indication of what is to come, I think Hyundai styling might become much better across the board in the not too distant future.

#20 · (Edited)
Look. Dual Muffler. That's hot.

That 2.4L I-4 probably is the global engine Hyundai developed for Mitsu and DaimlerChrysler. Good Potential written all over that engine.

I guess N20 means they're selling 2.0L I-4 also in Korea and Europe. Hopefully not in US.

I like the front a lot, but I don't like how the wheelbase of the car is way too short for the total length of the car.

Everyone says Hyundai copies from everyone. Well, I say Lexus LS looks like Mercedes S-Class, Caddilac CTS is the new 5-series, and Ford's upcoming Fusion Sedan's got a sheetmetal transplant from VW Passat. I say stop trying to convince yourself that Hyundai is the only one copying.

#21 ·
Hahahahaha, where have you kids (that's not used to put people down by any means, so nobody get mad, ha) been? I've been posting pics of the NF Sonata since way back in the day. Sure these new (well, new a couple weeks ago now) are a little clearer, so I guess that's something. I figured nobody was interested, now I know.

Now on to what matters. It is a great looking car and will definately sell. As for a release date, it's hard to say, some people were saying that it could show up as soon as the end of this year, but I think that's a bit early. The 2.4l making 160'ish HP might be the Theta in it's most powerful (non-boosted form) form, as it is suppose to range from 1.8l-2.4l. The V6 is going to be an all new engine as well. Oh, and yeah, the Theta is the engine they are working on with DC and Mistu. I think I've covered it all.

Picture

Here is more related news from the newest NF Sonata Post at HP:

All models will feature an all-new five-speed auto with Shiftronic. The 2.4-L four-cylinder engine should have 162 hp and 164 lb-ft of torque, and has specs incredibly similar to Honda's 2.4-L engine. VDC will be available across the board, as will power-adjustable pedals, a tilt and telescoping steering wheel and 17" wheels. There will also probably be a 2.0-L version that won't come here. Specs on the V6 are forthcoming.

(in mm)
Length 4810
Width 1825
Height 1450
Track(fron/rear) 1540/1530
Wheelbase 2740
fuel tank capacity 65 liter

Tire for F24S trim => P215/50R17
N20, F24 => P205/60R16

Engine:
Theta 2.4L(2,354cc)
Max. HP =>165 ps at 5700 RPM
Max. torque => 22.7 kg.m at 4000 RPM

Theta 2.0L(1,998cc)
Max. HP => 145 ps at 6000 RPM
Max. torque => 19.3 kg.m at 4500 RPM

#25 · (Edited)
I was just looking at the lines on the car again, and the fender flares are a really nice touch even if they are subtle. And the car would look quite a bit better lowered with Eibach's to give it that Bimmer-esque look.

#26 · (Edited)
More recently found pictures (thanks SS)

Psst. for those of you who wern't in a fraternity or sorority, that's a THETA on the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.