Steve's weekend of sad mods continued [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Steve's weekend of sad mods continued

Steve
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
It starts over here, Polyurethane engine mounts (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965)

Then I decided to fix my CAI because I wanted to check the filter's condition, adjust the piping so it stopped rubbing and complete the bracket I had started. The filter was pretty dirty, but nothing terrible, the piping had been rubbing a long time and had some good damage where it was rubbing on the edge of the battery tray so I took it apart, cleaned the piping, and then tried to put it back together so it wouldn't rub. Tried being the operative word. After an hour of trying every possible angle I couldn't get the piping to line up. That's my fault. When I first installed the CAI, I had to cut the MAF section out, my friend was there watching/helping. I asked him to cut out the section, but failed to actually measure it out and he cut out what he thought was right by eye, so there's not enough piping, like maybe 2 inches too short. I somehow managed to get it to fit the first time, but this time around I couldn't get it. Frustrated, concerned about the rubbing I decided just to go with a SRI. The filter now resides on the end of the MAF. With the polyurethane mounts the engine doesn't move, so I don't even need a bracket.

Add all that to my present lack of grill, no wheel covers and a couple of weeks of dirt and grime, a cracked windshield and I'm feeling pretty embarassed about my car care/mod skills. This car deserves a lot better.

That being said, my brain is concocting an intake system involving,

http://www.carbontrix.com/images/inhood.JPG

and

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product/injen_heat_shield.jpg

and a custom aluminum box with drain holes and wrapped in CF.

Comments, concerns, considerations?

watson80
08-04-2004, 12:54 AM
sorry bro hang in there

2GTS
08-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Looks like an expensive fix to the problem but what the hell it's only money and a car.

04 elantra cvvt
08-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Just keep your head up. Everything will work out in the end. I agree with 2GTS... I think that the fix may be a little extreme.

Steve
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Yeah, didn't I read somewhere that to get proper power out of an intake it needed to be fairly long? I'm missing the sound of the CAI already, though this SRI setup doesn't seem any slower by the seat of the pants, but that's an entirely subjective and inaccurate way of measurement!

I'll try to figure something out over the next little while, I'm thinking a Vibrant special,
2- 45degree 2.75" bends
2- 90degree 2.75" bends
5- 3ply nylon-reinforced silicone couplers (I already have 4)
11- stainless steel high grade clamps

I was never happy with the horrible welds inside the EvoFusion intake, this is my chance to do it right, I know I can do it right, I've just got to stop rushing and also make sure I have all the right tools, but this will have to wait until I have money again, for now I'll just live with the SRI.