Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

My Hesitation

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  04 elantra cvvt 
#1 ·
Well, I wanted to update those of you who may have seen my hesitation post in Pitar's post. I had been having it for a while with some Bosch aftermarket spark plug wires I bought.

Well, when I was replacing my wires with Hyundai Genuine parts last night, my dad came up to drop off some tools. He wanted to see the plugs, so I took them out and he checked the gap. All of them were gapped too much. (so much for pre-gapped plugs). So we checked the manual and it said to gap them at 0.038-0.043 in. He had a 0.040 so we gapped it at that. At first I had started the car and it was still doing it. After about 1 min it stopped and ran fine. I took it for a run and it hasn't felt that good in months. Even today on the commute to work it was fine and at lunch it felt great.

So the moral of the story is to ALWAYS check the gap of your plugs. As for the old aftermarket wires, they are probably ok, but I don't want to take the chances.

#5 ·
DJ Hellfire said:
Does this gapping trick also go for 4 prong plugs that need no gapping?
I would stay as far away from those things as possible. Especially if they are Bosch. Bosch makes some really good products, but spark plugs are not among those. Simple electric theory states that electricity will follow the path of least resistance. If you have four ground straps out there, it can only jump to one at a time. And, on high performance engines, they spend hours indexing the spark plug. (that means getting all of the ground straps facing the same way in the combustion chamber). By putting a 4 prongged plug in there, there is no telling where it will spark, and you could cause not only detination, but damage to the engine.

#6 · (Edited)
Does this gapping trick also go for 4 prong plugs that need no gapping?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
(5port)
Bosch +4 plugs require no gapping...according to Bosch

------------------------------------------------------------------

I would stay as far away from those things as possible. Especially if they are Bosch. Bosch makes some really good products, but spark plugs are not among those.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
(5port)
CART and IRL race cars use Bosch plugs for SOME reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple electric theory states that electricity will follow the path of least resistance. If you have four ground straps out there, it can only jump to one at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
(5port)
This is where the Bosch +4 spark plug is misunderstood. Bosch never claims that the plug will cause multiple sparks at the same time. Bosch claims that multiple electrodes will cut down on misfiring by giving the spark an alternate path. There is no trick here. If the gap its presently firing on becomes unreliable the spark uses ONE of the other three paths. With a single electrode plug that simply cant happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And, on high performance engines, they spend hours indexing the spark plug. (that means getting all of the ground straps facing the same way in the combustion chamber). By putting a 4 prongged plug in there, there is no telling where it will spark, and you could cause not only detination, but damage to the engine.

------------------------------------------------------------------
(5port)
I and a bunch of other XD owners have been using Bosch +4 for months . Nothing but happy with them. My engine revs quicker with them and my highway mileage has gone up 1-2mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.