My Homesick thread [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: My Homesick thread

robs02elantra
11-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey everyone...I've been thread jacking a lot lately in the Australian introductions, so I thought I'd start a thread in here where I could chat with everyone about random things to do with the best country in the world! So, lets start out with asking if anyone wants to ship me some lollies and chocolate...haha.

Man, what stupid things you miss when you're away from home. Anyone here ever travel away from Australia, for short term or long term?

Munky
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
~22 hours by flight? I'll pass, thanks anyway Rob.

robs02elantra
11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
22 hours with no layovers...I've taken up to 30 hours to do the trip before. One time, I didn't have the money to fly to sydney for my flight, so I flew up the night before on the cheap and stayed in the airport terminal overnight. Man, the flight is the least of the negative parts about the distance.

Munky
11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Beautiful place, but I can Google Earth it if I really want to see it.

robs02elantra
11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
HA! You're kidding me. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You could see the most beautiful hi-res pictures on a 60" plasma tv, and you would still not be any closer to understanding the absolutely amazing beauty that is Australia!

Munky
11-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Haha, yeah, I know. But I really don't care how the place looks. As long as it feels like home to me, I love it. Which is why i'm staying here in the Middla of Indiana, of all places.

extremeaudiowa
11-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Anyways enough of that....... I love australia. Dont get me wrong i love to travel and see the world and lovely places and different people and cultures...... but i love to come home to australia with the things, places, people, laws & rules and culture i know.

robs02elantra
11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
so when you travel (which it sounds like you have) what do you miss the most about Australia?

Seinster
11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I'll do it for you, just PM me what you want, and make sure customs allows it.
The longest I spend away from Australia was a month in the US. I was mainly in GA and FL, it was a good trip but towards the end I really missed home. I found Georgia fascinating, it was like watching 'King Of The Hill' in real life. ;)
The things I missed most were driving on the correct side of the road, Aussie accents (the voice not the car), the beaches and the metric system.
The things I love about the US, there are many but here's a few, Wal-mart & Sam's Club!!! 99 cent double cheeseburgers!!! Outlet malls!!! BIG women!!! :drool:

jh0n
11-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Rob, honestly I knew you were starting to do it tough when in another thread, you reminisced about Canberra`s mild winters. Bah hahahaha! I suppose compared to life out on the the tundra as it is for you now Canberra is pretty dang mild. But still, to me it was funny. There`s a website for some mob in the states that sells just about everything Australian, Vegemite, lots of different lollies ( caramello Koala`s et al ) even Nappisan ffs.. I`ll go have a look for it now.

robs02elantra
11-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm sure I can find it, I'm not really worried about getting things from Australia. Apparently I have a shipment of TimTams and Eta BBQ Sauce headed my way from my sister...so thanks for the offers guys, but I do have family there still who will take care of it for me! Just thought I would use this thread to chat with people from home and see how things are going.

jh0n
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
http://www.aussieproducts.com/ Worth a look just for a giggle..

elantrachic
11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
hehe that american australian visa card with the kangaroos on it is cute. the longest i've been away is 3 weeks to Germany, the one thing i seriously missed were the Australian accents (and yeah i mean the talking not cars as well). I missed the scenery too, Germany is nice but I'd much rather be here.

extremeaudiowa
11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I miss the people.... Most people in Aus are friendly....

And i miss the weather

ElantraElite
12-04-2006, 05:06 AM
I haven't been out of Australia before. My brother has been to europe and he said he wouldnt live anywhere else but home.

The past few weeks i've been spending away at my parents beach house on the coast just chilling out, enjoying the beach and living out in the open. I love bush walking. hehe.

Estopatitiana
12-04-2006, 11:17 AM
ha, yes australia is the most beautiful country on earth, i was in new south wales(adelaid(sp?)Quorn, flinders ranges, victoria(melbourne), byron bay, sydney, Blue mountains national park, fraser island, queensland(cairns) arlie beach, etc for over a month and i saw some of the most beautiful landscapes in my life...like the tully river(wich i rafted on), the daintree rainforest, etc..it was freakin awesome and i want to live thier..and i love hearing things like "no worries mate" and how you going? bc in the states we say how are you doing....and your guys toilets are funny, and all the tiny cars...and the roos etc..freken awesome, aussies rule

i can see how your homesick rob, canada must suck....but you should see more of the states..it is especially beautiful out west, and the east..the heartland is crap and its just full of farms and fat lazy slobs.

robs02elantra
12-04-2006, 06:07 PM
haha, I've seen 46 of the states, and loved a lot of it. Beautiful country. I think that is just a small part of what I miss about Australia though. All my family is there, it's where I'm from, and I really miss the people the most. The "she'll be right" attitude about life really should rub off up here...it's a great lifestyle.

KeWLKaT
12-06-2006, 01:06 AM
lies! Canada is the greatest country!

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Seinster
12-12-2006, 03:23 AM
lies! Canada is the greatest country!
And you know this because you've obviously been globe trotting to every country right? ;)
I wouldn't want to be in the northern half of the US or Canada during winter. :redface: :phone: :bowdown: :( :abovelol:

jh0n
12-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah its great here, half the country is on fire, its been over 40 in adelaide the first week or 2 of summer.

I`d love to experience a northern winter, and then get the hell out of there before my arthritis pwnd me..

KeWLKaT
12-13-2006, 03:01 AM
And you know this because you've obviously been globe trotting to every country right? ;)
I wouldn't want to be in the northern half of the US or Canada during winter. :redface: :phone: :bowdown: :( :abovelol:

LOL :D

I don't care for winters really, only thing that pisses me off is the OTHERS on the road who don't know how to drive.

ALSO....

Snow=ski, and ski=happy me :)

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

|2oo
12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
i love aus, its the best place been all around the world and couldn't wait to i get home, i love our beaches and our people they are so nice. here a couple of pics of where i live the first is my backyard and the second is the beach that a 5min walk from my home. I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland a hour from brisbane

elantrachic
12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm so jealous I would love to live on the beach but being in Canberra its a 2 hour drive.
I was in the Australia Geographic sho the other day and they have a homesick pack and it reminded me of this thread, it has a badge, vegemite, a koala tatoo and thats all I remember it sounded cute though