Why upgrade brakes [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Why upgrade brakes

azwildfire
08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
I am curious why people upgrade brakes. the stock brakes have no trouble stopping my car, and unless i am towing lots *it is a car not a truck*i couldnt see a reason for upgrading them

perhaps just for better cooling in an autocross environment? any other reason to upgrade brakes?

2GTS
08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
To make it better. Why do people upgrade anything if the stock stuff works? Because there is something that will do the same job but be lighter, work better, look better make you feel are warm and fuzzy inside. There isn't anything wrong with the stock brakes but I wouldn't mind a shorter stopping distance, less fade, better modulation or better pedal feel.

SWortham
08-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Well after repeated stops, the stock brakes start to heat up, and then fade and become less effective. So it's a performance issue. And other times, the stock brakes feel too soft, and they don't have enough stopping power to push performance tires to their limit. For me, it became even more of a problem with my heavy 17" wheels. It takes more force to bring all of that rotational mass to a stop.

So I upgraded to the Tiburon brakes. Now the brakes have the capacity to make many more hard stops without fading.

2BIT
08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Elantras have a problem with the front rotors, they tend to warp after a period of time from excessive heat, so that combined with what is mentioned in all the above posts is why people do it.

FordFasteRR
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
.... hmm....

my stock brakes just plain suck.

thats why.... :)

SWortham
08-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Elantras have a problem with the front rotors, they tend to warp after a period of time from excessive heat

There are actually mixed theories about this... but yes heat definitely has something to do with it. Some people say that the rotors usually don't actually warp, but they form uneven deposits in the metal which causes variation in the frictional surface which in turn will cause steering wheel vibration under braking. I believe water & heat are the culprit. You can't do anything about the water part, but you can reduce heat by upgrading your brakes.

Bnystrom
08-10-2004, 02:15 PM
For normal street driving, I don't see where it's necessary. However, once the original pads on my car wear out, I'll probably replace them with higher performance pads, since the price difference is minimal. If the rotors ever need replacement, I'll do the same thing, for the same reason. Upgrading to larger rotors and calipers is pricey and I can't justify it for the type of driving I do. I'd rather spend the money on new wheels and tires (but I won't do that until the stock tires wear out, either).

SWortham
08-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah, upgrading your brakes just doesn't make as much sense with stock wheels. And you're limited to what you can do because you can't put anything too big inside those 15" wheels.

only1db
08-10-2004, 02:27 PM
becaue when you cant stop after a couple of hard braking.....and the pedal is on the floor and it still wont stop.....thats why...not ot mention that rotors warp like beeotch!

jameswing
08-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Mine stoped me just fine today. I had a moron decide he wanted to be in my lane of the offramp and didn't check his blind spot as I was passing him. He just started moving over. I locked them up (probably have a nice flat spot now) and stoped in time to have him barly slide past.

hyunelan2
08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I locked them up .

That's a damn miracle in itself. I almost hit a dear once... I put the pedal through the floor and the car wouldn't even lock them up. I'm getting new brakes as soon as I can, mine absolutely suck.

GTSpeedRacer
08-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Those little rotors look kinda silly inside my 17's as well.

jameswing
08-10-2004, 04:05 PM
I saw a SUV with at least 20" rims (6 spokes I think) with the stock brakes it looked real bad

slvrsleeper
08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Cosmetics aside the benefits of upgrading the rotors and pads on our cars is hard to deny. The better pedal feel and resistance to fade comes in handy on a daily basis here in DC. I have the SR dimpled and slotted rotors behind stock steelies and the improvement in control, especially in panic braking is remarkable. Of course the EBC green pads help a lot too. Don't get me wrong, its not a huge change in overall stopping distances but the overall effect is well worth it. Be very careful with "big" brake kits the effect on the cars performance may not be what you are expecting

SWortham
08-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Be very careful with "big" brake kits the effect on the cars performance may not be what you are expecting

My friend Malik and I did some comparisons. His Eclipse w/ 4 wheel discs is decked out with cross-drilled rotors, rebuilt calipers, steel braided brake lines, and Hawk pads at all 4 wheels. The improvement was obvious and the brake fade was drastically improved. But his front rotors are the same size as the Elantra's (10.1" diameter). And he said that my car, with the Tiburon brakes, stops better than his even though my brakes are composed of all Hyundai OEM parts. Anyway, those are two different cars and I can't fairly draw a conclusion. Upgrading to stock-sized high performance pads and rotors would certainly be cheaper, but I can say that a big brake kit will make a huge difference. The Tiburon kit gives you another platform to improve upon.

Performance pads & rotors would cost what? $300? And the parts you'd need for the Tiburon brakes would be about $570 according to Fordfasterr's upgrade. I don't know, either would be fairly reasonable upgrades for the price.

only1db
08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
you guys just dont drive your car the way i do....hell just last night...i was on a nice stretch of twisties for about 10 miles or so and almost every turn is a 20mph turn...so you have to slowwwwwwwwwwwwww down....by the end.....the fade was insane....i almost could stop!! and then comes the nice burnt smell.....this is why i need to upgrade my brakes....if i didnt have to put my stock wheels back on i would go with a big brake kit for a tiburon!! 13" rotors with some nice 4 piston calipers....but i guess the stock tib setup will have to work.... :cool:

XDGT03
08-10-2004, 07:58 PM
If you never race, and don't care about looks, then do what Bynstrom is going to do and go with Hawk or Green Stuff pads. That will be a very nice upgrade...better feel, better stopping distance, less fade...for about $20 more.

I have the cross drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk pads and steel braided lines. I autocross and man can i brake late. Decreases lap times by a lot.

AUTOBOT
08-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Why ask why?
Just do it.

Think of it this way, the engine itself does just fine with propelling the car. But that doesn't stop people from trying make it faster and more powerful. Well, in all honesty, my 60-0 times are more important to me then my 0-60 times.

SWortham
08-11-2004, 10:17 AM
I wish my 0-60 time was as fast as my 60-0 time, lol. That would be like... 2 seconds.

azwildfire
08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
thanks for the replies!

basically, the stock elantra brakes dont infact do the job well *i havent had a reason to do repetative heavy breaking, but may in the future*

so cosmetics and more reliablity seem to be the take home message...

brakes still go on the BOTTOM of my upgrade list... infact i will prolly do HID lights first :P but most definatly get new rims and tires THEN brakes :D

Steve
08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
If you're going turbo, then you definitely need bigger brakes, or at the very least add some better pads. Upgrades to power should always be matched if not exceeded by upgrades to stopping.

SWortham
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
^ Those are wise words.