Tranny Fluid Replacement [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Tranny Fluid Replacement

dragonfighter60
08-16-2004, 10:21 PM
I've gotten the run around a few times with the closest hyundai dealer so I have decided not to deal with it anymore with them. I need to either have the tranny fluid replaced or just do it myself. I tried searching the topic on here but either im not putting in the right search or something. hmaservice.com specifies only 1 filter for replacement and it is under the air cleaner on top of the tranny. I have read on here though that there are 2. Could you please tell me where they are/ it is?

And, a second question, will I have to replace the gasket while changing fluid? My car is an 01 GLS. My car is at 53k without the fluid ever being replaced.

vsolo
08-16-2004, 11:42 PM
At the Baltimore meet we saw Keyan 2001 elantra actually had a Filter, looked like an oil filter on top on the transmission, the later automatic only had a hole there. sorry no picture at this time

dragonfighter60
08-16-2004, 11:44 PM
hma had a pic of the one that looked like an oil filter but is there another?

DJ Hellfire
08-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Since the filter is on top of the tranny, do you have to drain the fluid before replacing the filter? I just changed my fluid but I didn't do the filter because I thought the trans pan had to be dropped and I didn't have time.

dragonfighter60
08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
They deleted the top filter( i believe) in the middle of the 01's production (correct me if im wrong.) since you have an 02 you need not worry about a top one. the one inside, according to HMAservice, needs only to be changed during transmission overhaul.

P.S. I eventually answered my own question. Well, hma did. I didnt think to read in the technical service bulletins

DJ Hellfire
08-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I looked today and didn't see any top filter. What is a tranny overhaul?

dragonfighter60
08-20-2004, 01:23 AM
The transmission overhaul would be taking apart the tranny and doing needed repairs. That SHOULDN'T come for quite a while.

XTRAWLD
08-20-2004, 09:56 AM
While you are changing the fluid, I might recommend you go to synthetic.....I did and realized how much smoother my shifting became. Just a thought.

DJ Hellfire
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
While you are changing the fluid, I might recommend you go to synthetic.....I did and realized how much smoother my shifting became. Just a thought.

I did! Mobile One to be exact as well as the engine oil! ;) The tranny fluid was like $5.99 per qt.! :eek: It's costed me $73 to do an oil/filter change, trany change, and gas treatment. I got an extra qt of oil and ATF though!

cclngthr
08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
I hope you used the SP-III spec fluid. If you used Dexron 3/Mercon, or any other type of fluid found on store shelves, you could kiss the tranny warranty good-bye. The reason is the other types of fluid eats up the plastic parts in the Hyundai tranny.

TheWickedestOne
08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Good point about the mid-year 2001 conversion. I keep forgetting that the original GTs are 2001.5, not 2001.