Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Door molding mod. Has anyone done this yet?

9K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  Astepaboveyou 
#1 · (Edited)
Body color door molding/trims. The black stuff is just tape they put on after painting at the factory. It peels off easily with a heat gun or hot summer day to warm it up.

Before:

After:

See less See more
#2 ·
They mentioned it before, but didn't put any pics. I can't decide which I like better, with it on it joins the windows togeather, but it has a classey look witout it.

How is the paint under it? how easy does it come off, does it leave a lot of goo? My GT is Black and I am thinking of taking it off.

#3 ·
jameswing said:
They mentioned it before, but didn't put any pics. I can't decide which I like better, with it on it joins the windows togeather, but it has a classey look witout it.

How is the paint under it? how easy does it come off, does it leave a lot of goo? My GT is Black and I am thinking of taking it off.
The paint is like brand new under it. If you heat it up properly, it won't leave a lot of goo if any!

#4 ·
People started doing this a long time ago when they were first experiancing the peeling of the window "tape." So yeah, it's been done. I can't say if I like it better or not either. Some people said the paint was a little dull underneath, but that could be fixed with a wash and wax.

#6 ·
Would have been nice to see the pics done under the same lighting to really get a taste of the difference. Also, I thought you worked a BMW, what's the GM doing on the hoist?

#7 ·
I still can't decide it this makes the car look rich and classy, or cheap and unfinished. I'll prob. just leave mine alone. I also don't like that the rear window bar is black, where the rest is not anymore. Not bad though.

#9 ·
I'm gonna do it ASAP! Looks really nice without it, especially when your car is a few years old. My windows are tinted so I don't have to worry about the qaurter window bar being black.

#13 ·
i think im gona do it to, hey slvr wanna do it at my house or somthin? im free sunday we can even have th garage probably.

#14 ·
Anyone seen my car? Well, I had to have that section repainted anyway, and the rubber window in the back, but I think that with the black removed, it really looks awesome. Give it a try, makes it look less cheap too. The black stuff must have buckled up on me three times, and I decided not to take it back to the dealer anymore to have a new one applied.

#15 ·
ya, cause i have so many little marks on the black strip, kinda looks cheap but then to it looks nice when clean and shiney grrr i duno

#16 ·
All of you who are going to remove these, be careful when closing the doors. Look at a mid-90s car that has the window surround painted, lots of chips and knicks from rings and fingernails. Don't mess up your paint when the vinyl isn't there to protect it anymore... use the door-handle :)

#18 ·
ilanpro said:
I'm going to do it Looks great
Actually ilanpro, after seeing your car in person, I personally think you should leave that black tape on, it accents the black trim around your bumper :)

#19 ·
thats true grr, i'll prob leave it and get black rims down the road i dunno im gona try to psot a pic of my car on this site when i get home tonite.

#20 ·
I did this a year or so ago and my hint would be to wait for the hottest day poss then leave the car out in the sun. Took me 2 hrs to do one door with a hairdryer the first night, but only 20 min to do the rest after the sun worked on it for me. I like it but the paint is very thin under the stickers, there are two spots that don't have any clear coat at all(very dull). Goo gone and a good coat of wax also needed.

#21 · (Edited)
jacksonj said:
Would have been nice to see the pics done under the same lighting to really get a taste of the difference. Also, I thought you worked a BMW, what's the GM doing on the hoist?
That is one of the technicians cars. It was shop night, the same reason a Hyundai is in there! :D

#23 ·
I have started doing this on mine. It will look good when I finally get it finished, but my God what a pain in the ASS! It took me the better part of two hours to get half the drivers door done last night! That and the residual glue is some tough shiznit, needed the Goof Off and a microfibre cloth to get rid of it. Its gonna be bitchin when I get done though! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.