removing 6x9 rear speakers? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: removing 6x9 rear speakers?

Seinster
08-26-2004, 04:35 AM
Hey, just got my new car ('04 elantra) y'day and I wanted to chuck in some better 6x9 speakers that I had laying around.
I can't work out how the speaker covers (metal grill and plastic surround) come off though.

I tried prying it with quite a bit of pressure, but didn't want to break it.

Are there clips or do I just have to pry it with more force?

Thanks for any advice!

- Mark

04 elantra cvvt
08-26-2004, 09:56 AM
You have to take off the entire rear deck. Start by folding the back seats down, then popping off the clips that hold it on. Once you get it off, you will see the screws holding them down from the top. I will tell you though, that the speakers that come with our cars are pretty good. I've been using them for a while, and they still sound great.

SWortham
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Yep, you have to remove the rear deck. There should be some instructions floating around. Maybe in the DIY section.

The speakers do sound decent with an aftermarket head unit but they are full range drivers. You'll get more crisp sound out of some quality speakers.

Seinster
08-27-2004, 03:10 AM
OK thanks for the help guys, I'm still stuck though. :(
I took a pic here:

http://members.optushome.com.au/seinfjw/carreartray.jpg
Pic is around 150kb so didn't wanna display it as courtesy to 56Kers.

I've tried pulling the deck upwards, but there is too much resistance. There were only 2 rivets I found holding it to the metal. Also with the child restraints, there are bolts, but i can pull the deck over these because there is enough space.

It seems that the deck is still attached somehow and I can't figure it out!??!
Or do I just need another set of hands for more pulling power?

SWortham
08-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Double check for clips inside the trunk and try to relieve the tension there. And I had to remove one of those plastic panels on the C pillar in order to get the deck out of there (it takes a lot of force -- just be careful, and you may want to pick up a trim panel remover from Autozone or some place like that).

Oh, and I think you also need to remove those side bolsters. There's a bolt down low between the side bolster and the bottom seat cushion. I think you have to remove those... I did, but I can't remember if it was necessary.

Seinster
09-03-2004, 08:36 PM
OK I've removed like half my car now and I still can't get the damn deck up!
I've removed the 4 white clips, and all other clips, but something towards the back like right on the glass, is holding it back.
Are there clips right near the glass there???

I've checked hmaservice and couldn't find anything of any use. :(

I can tell I'm so close, but can anybody suggest anything that may be the solution?

Do I pull the deck up to loosen it, or outwards?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Mil
09-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Just go there: http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp
after that you select your car model and year with the type of engine, then you click on the "shop" on the top left corner(this is the shop manual).
Select:Body electrical system
after that click on: Audio & antenna
Click on: Speakers
and finally, click on: Removal
You should have all the informations you need to do the job, by the way, if you use a firewall on your internet connection, you may turn it off before you use hma service web tech, i use Norton's firewall, and when it's enabled, i just can't use the web tech.
Good luck :)

Seinster
09-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Been there done that, thanks for the advice but even hmaservice didn't help. :(

I might just make a custom shelf outta MDF because I noticed that the parcel shelf is only made from a 3mm particle board. Also because I want black carpet on the rear deck to make the interior look darker from the exterior. Also custom shelf would be good for vibration reasons once the speakers are amped.

Thanks again, and any more advice would be appreciated. :D

SWortham
09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Just don't let the MDF near water. ;)