Hood: Carbon Fiber or OEM? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Hood: Carbon Fiber or OEM?

Von Iobro
08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Okay, i don't really like a bunch of flash on my car. I'm very pragmatic with my upgrades. I realy don't upgrade from OEM unless something breaks or I need to do maintenance on the item. I have to be this way because I'm a poor college student.

Anyways, it turns out that my hood is all jacked up and I have a $500 deducible on my insurance. So, for less than that price I can get a CF hood. Or for ~$200 I can get a OEM hood from a junkyard or where ever.

My car is the obsidian black, so I wouldn't mind having hte CF hood, it would look somewhat inconspicuous on my car. If my Elantra was any other color, i wouldn't even consider it.

In the end, I like the idea of making my car ligher (in the front, where it counts the most!) for better gas-mileage, handling and wear-and-tear.

so I was wondering what the durability of a CF hood was? Will it dent easily? Will it scratch, fade in the sun?

or should I just get the oem one and (someday) spend the money on something else? I'm a suspension fan and my stock XD is not the best handling thing in the world right now.

carbonman
08-26-2004, 11:28 AM
I'd say go with a CF hood, I'm a little biased though :P
The CF hood won't dent, it could crack or even shatter if hit hard enough. I've had mine on for I guess coming up to a year now and other than some minor (self inflicted) wounds like cracks its holding up very well.

kylemorg
08-26-2004, 12:29 PM
I thought I'd seen a CF hood on Ebay for the XD Elantras, but the auction must have expired.

I think a black CF hood would look nice on a black XD.

jameswing
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I think black is the only color that a CF hood would look good on.

GTSpeedRacer
08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
I agree...black is the only color it looks any good on.

If I was in your position I'd get the new CF hood over a junk yard (chances are you'll have to re-paint it) and any chance I have NOT to pay my insurance company more money is worth it as far as I am concerned.

Von Iobro
08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I just love the idea that insurance is betting against yourself. :crash_com

Anyways, I was wondering:

1.) How much a CF hood weight compared to OEM?
2.) Are there different models of CF out there (I'd like to stay with the stock look.)?
3.) What's a decent price?

Hey carbonman what kind of hood do you have? I'm kinda at work, so I can't really do all the research that I'd like, not because I'm supposed to be working, but because they have a program that blocks a lot of sites (Thankfully not ElantraXD.com :) )

Thanks for the replies, so far, everyone!

Elantra2.001
08-26-2004, 02:02 PM
I like the look of my CF hood on the champagne color but i have several accents on the car that add to the affect including wheels that almost match the color. Ive had mine on for longer than carbonman.

SuperGLS
08-26-2004, 05:06 PM
The CF Hood is about half the weight of the OEM hood, I can vouch for this as I recently opened Elantra2.001's hood and it was like nothing was even there (compared to stock).

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Elantra2.001
08-27-2004, 01:36 AM
I caught him trying to steal my HID's and battery, til he found out it was in the trunk... hehehe

evil247
08-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Didn't I put the weight on the old forum of the stock hood and the CF one? and I agree the CF looks great on a black car but like carbonman said I am a little biased :P

tniv1
08-27-2004, 03:34 AM
NO, black CF on champagne is the bestest!! And I've had mine on longer than Carbonman too! :-P Put it to you this way:the CF hood you can lift over your head with one hand. OEM no way, unless you are way buffed.