cant loosen bolts! [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: cant loosen bolts!

AsteroidS
09-02-2004, 11:58 PM
hi, i want to install my front strut bar on my xd, but i couldnt loosen the 14mm bolts on the struct caps of the car! any suggestions as to how i can remove the bolts? i tried putting lotsa oil but it still didnt move a milimetre...
thank u... :(

SuperGLS
09-03-2004, 12:29 AM
First, make sure the car is parked on some level ground. Second, what kinda tool are you using? Not just a regular wrench, right? I used a socket with a 6-8" handle and just used as much force as I could and only had trouble with one of the bolts. At that point I just got pissed off and used even more force and then it loosened.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

AsteroidS
09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
First, make sure the car is parked on some level ground. Second, what kinda tool are you using? Not just a regular wrench, right? I used a socket with a 6-8" handle and just used as much force as I could and only had trouble with one of the bolts. At that point I just got pissed off and used even more force and then it loosened.

lol :D of cos im not using a regular wrench! :D must be im weak man... i'll put it more effort & go for a try again later... that bastard bolts! :mad:
thanks for your tips.

tniv1
09-03-2004, 04:27 AM
drench it in wd-40 and leave it for a little while. Or resume the project much later in the day. You should be able to loosen it easily then.

AsteroidS
09-03-2004, 06:01 AM
drench it in wd-40 and leave it for a little while. Or resume the project much later in the day. You should be able to loosen it easily then.

thanks for the tip, i'll try them later ;) will tell u guys if i succeed... lol :D

still cant loosen the damn bolts... im giving up... :'(

vabeach_03
09-03-2004, 06:29 AM
go out and buy a big torque wrench. they are pretty cheap and you will need it later for other projects. just the torque wrench to loosen it up. if that doesn't work find a really big pipe.

AsteroidS
09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
still cannot!!! :mad: the bolts are wearing off after many attempts... think i should give up... try again next time... argh... or maybe i should just saw the bolts off. what u guys think? :confused:

SWortham
09-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Lefty loosey, righty tighty. J/K. Those should only have 35 ft/lbs put on them if I remember right. They should be pretty easy unless they're just seized.

FordFasteRR
09-03-2004, 10:44 AM
dude...

DO NOT CUT THOSE BOLTS !

you will never be able to fix them , and you'll probly have to buy a new shot tower mount section from the dealer.. and those are expensive..

if you already stripped the nuts, then use a LARGE size vice grip to break it loose.

XDGT03
09-03-2004, 05:56 PM
and 6 point sockets. They should not be that hard to get off.

kylemorg
09-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Mine came off very easily with a normal 3/8" ratchet and 14mm socket.

Are you sure you're trying to turn them counter-clockwise?

ericbeck
12-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Haha bringing back an old old thread~!
Ok, I got my Mussa Front Strut bar today and tried to install it...
Of course, I am a noob at installing so I tried to use just a regular wrench and it didnt work
Now I realize that apparently i need a socket or something?
Anyways, could someone please tell me what tool I should purchase and around how much I should be looking to spend?
I plan on installing my tib ultrasports soon too so I need to buy something that can loosen bolts
Thanks~!

pjc6281
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I think its time for you to hit the gym :)

jfreak921
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I used a 10 inch long box wrench. I only had trouble with one, but it only took 2 tries.

SWortham
12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
If you're going to be installing much I'd buy a good socket set w/ metric & standard sizes. Craftsman or Husky are good brands. You can take care of those bolts with the proper metric socket (14mm) & ratchet.

For your strut installation down the road I'd suggest either a breaker bar or an impact wrench to break the tough bolts loose. Then a torque wrench is a good tool to have to torque everything to spec. Again, this is a time when sockets are practically a necessity.

SilverBullet
12-09-2005, 11:09 AM
PB Blaster and a large pipe, its the only thing that saved me when I was doing the J1's bearings last weekend. It's kind of weird that you're having such a hard time with this, the compression from the weight of the car should have made your job really easy.

FordFasteRR
12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Another alternative is to use a small , hand-held propane torch to " warm up " the nut a little bit... (don't freaking fry the thing, just heat it up nicely)..

and THEN hit it up with a good breaker bar using the correct size socket...

:)

If your breaker bar is not good enough, then slide a longer pipe over the breaker bar to give you a torque boost !!!

YEAH !!!

example of a breaker bar:

http://www.studioglyphic.com/images/blog/breaker_bar.jpg

the one I have is about 18 inches long.. :) cost like $ 20 ???

ba_feitl
12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
How can you not have a socket set ??? Isn't that issued to you at birth now.. Sockets and a breaker bar are indispensible for working on your car or practically anything else. And get a torque wrench they aren't too expensive.

Of course I perfer my air powered tools but thats an investment decision for you to make.

Brad

KeWLKaT
12-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I want to buy some air tools after I'm done with all this expensive work on the car...
How big of a tank (gallon wise) should I look for that doesnt fade out in a minute?

Also, those nuts.... just slide a bigger metal tub on your ratchet/wrench.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

evan938
12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
you can get an air compressor for 100$-1000$ and will do a good job. the big ones that hold the pressure work best. the little 1 gallon one my dad bought will not even pop off my lug nuts. oh well.

air tools, you can get a wratchet and a gun for 75$ for weekend use, theyll be fine

ba_feitl
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I paid like $150 for an 8 gallon generic compressor from Menards and it runs almost everything I need except for tools that need constant pressure (ie grinders, buffers, high end paint sprayers) Just eyeball the tools you THINK you might use and make sure the compressor can handle CFMs required by the tools. That way you should be covered in case you actually get those tools.

Get a good flexible line and a bunch of quick disconnects. I have a vinyl/nylon 50ft line now and I have to upgrade to a better more flexible line it won't lay flat or snake through my house when I want it to.

Brad

krazykarguy
12-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Just so that y'all know this-

DON'T EVER F%#*IN' USE A TORQUE WRENCH TO BREAK NUTS LOOSE!!!!

It will NEVER be accurate again!!! It is a precision device to put a certain amount of torque on a nut or bolt.

My technique involves my 1/2" ratchet, impact sockets (the black ones), and a 4 pound mini-sledge (replicates an "impact" gun). There hasn't been a nut on my EGT to not yield to the sledge. I also have a 3" piece of electrical conduit that fits nicely over the end of my 1/2" ratchet. Mr. leverage always gets the job done. If you don't have a socket set, you should take your car somewhere to be serviced. Box wrenches have a very limited usage.

FordFasteRR has a point with heat... it works wonders, and melts stuff. Use with caution, especially under the hood near any wiring or hardlines.

Check out Northern Tool. That's where I picked up an impact socket set (20 Pcs.!!!) for around $20. Best money ever spent on tools. Then get a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet for $25. Now you can get just about anything off!

05xd
12-09-2005, 06:20 PM
^^^ Leverage is the key
Just get like a 18" 1/2 breaker bar and a 14mm impact socket and that will do the trick

Estopatitiana
12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
I want to buy some air tools after I'm done with all this expensive work on the car...
How big of a tank (gallon wise) should I look for that doesnt fade out in a minute?

Also, those nuts.... just slide a bigger metal tub on your ratchet/wrench.
get a bigger one(not sure on exact size) if you ever want to do painting, painting isnt that hard..learn on the internet, buy the right tools, and paint, and your set, ive painted 3 cars and they look professional..gotta love the internet

RedScorp
12-09-2005, 08:53 PM
and 6 point sockets. They should not be that hard to get off.

You mean 12 point right?...I hope. =)

Keyan
12-09-2005, 09:37 PM
No. 6 point are stonger. Less chance of stripping the nut you're trying to remove.

Vampyrate
12-09-2005, 11:49 PM
i used a regular rachet today to get my strut on and man was that a fight to the death... but yeah, it was a fun 20mins. and the bar looks sexy in its new home

ericbeck
12-12-2005, 03:54 PM
WOOOT~!
I was talking to a friend and he happened to have many many sets of tools
so I just went to his garage today and installed my strut bar in like 15 min
I used a ratchet with 14mm socket and 16mm socket
thanks for all the help guys
from now on, im just gonna go to his house every time im installing something