Other People's Paint [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Other People's Paint

CuddleBug1899
09-04-2004, 09:57 PM
So I work at a mall and I commute to college everyday and my car gets a few dings in the doors here and there from the ignorant people I am fortunate enough to park next to. Any suggestions on how to get other people's paint off my car without ruining my own paint? I'm just lookin for the best way to go about this, my car is silver and I have a huge blue gash in my passenger door, as well as about 4 white ones all in the same area.

cclngthr
09-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Use a mild polishing compound to remove it.

rckozma
09-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Mequiar's cleaner/wax works good too, that is what I use on the company van.

cclngthr
09-04-2004, 10:38 PM
The cleaner wax might not get baked on stuff. The polishing compound will also smooth things over and get rid of any scratches.

CuddleBug1899
09-04-2004, 10:38 PM
would you recommend one of those clay bars? I've heard people talk about them but I don't know if it would do any damage or if it would even work or not.

TheWickedestOne
09-04-2004, 10:40 PM
The clay bar probably wouldn't work. I can swing by and sand/compound it out during lunch someday if you want.

CuddleBug1899
09-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Use a mild polishing compound to remove it.

any specific names I should look for?

cclngthr
09-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Meguires has a polish that does work. I personally use stuff that body shop supply stores sell, which generally are not available in retail stores. HOWEVER, when going there you need to know exactly what you are going into in trying to work with your paint, and knowing how to use the product. The people there can help you find compatable materials and tell you something about how to use it, but it is better if you know that before going in there.

Personally, I use a enamel reducer to remove the scuff paint and polish it out after cleaning the area.

f1guy68
09-05-2004, 11:57 AM
CuddleBug,

Any chance you could show a pictures of the scuffed area!

It would help me and the others assess the situation better and allow me to put my best suggestion forward!

Thanks!

CuddleBug1899
09-05-2004, 03:49 PM
ok so the pics I took are pretty crappy and you can't really see the paint too great but it might help. blame it on the crappy weather here, there is like, no sun at all today. :(

the first pic is from the front and the second from the back.

f1guy68
09-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the pictures!

There fine!

So..my personal opinion says that this should come out pretty easy!

So..I would suggest that you try with just a cleaner wax first! If you need to get more aggressive because it didn't work, then you could try a clay bar! Mother's sells an excellent retail version in a kit (Comes with lube and a small bottle of cleaner wax)! So there..You have everything you need in the kit!

It's non abrasive (the clay) and if you use it with lots of lube you won't harm the car! A lot of people are going to disagree with me here, but I assure you clay is a safe product! The clay should grab the blue paint and take it off the surface! And then you can follow up with the cleaner wax! But again, try the cleaner wax first! And then see if you need to go further!

Using the cleaner wax:

Put a small amount on a terry towel cloth and work the product into the area affected! Try to work in a linear motion as this will reduce the risk of inducing further scratches and swirls! I suggest terry towel as the nap is a little more aggressive and will help rub away the paint! Let the wax haze and then turn the terry towel to a clean section and buff! I kind of think this is going to work! If Not..read on...

When using the clay:

Spray the area liberally with the lube (very important..use lots) (It's called Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer) and pass the clay back and forth in a linear motion with light pressure and gentle pace! The paint should come off! Then wipe the lube off with a 100% Terry Towel or a quality Micro Fiber cloth! Feel the difference? You will notice how smooth the area you just clayed is! If you get the time...Wash the car...pull into the shade and do the whole car! You will be freaking stunned at the crap that is in your paint! If you need to do the affected area again, then follow the same procedure!

Why lot's of Lube...Is Clay dangerous you ask???

No..it's not dangerous if you follow the instructions above! Many believe that all clay is abrasive! Whilst some are, the one I suggested is not! But it is very sticky and will not glide over the paint without the lube! Without the lube, the clay will just stick! Many will tell you that clay removes paint! Again, the clay I suggested is poly clay and will not remove paint! If you need more proof (I like to validate my words), I can send you to web sights where the top detailers in the world (including myself) use clay on million dollar cars and more! Clay is not used every single time, but it has its value and is a wonderful product!

The instant detailer (lube)will come in handy as well for getting bird poop off and giving your car a fresh wipe in between washes! It's a great product on its own! Just spray on your dusty car (not dirty..dusty) and wipe and then buff off! Use on windows, paint, rims (not tires) chrome, even trim if you use it lightly!

Hey..tip on the towels...Take a blank CD and rub the CD with the towel! If it scratches the CD..it's going to scratch your paint! Same test for Micro Fiber as well!

Anyway..I'm flapping my gums here!

Take some advice of the others as well, and decide what is best for you!

Good Luck!