Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Hi from Russia

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  IPG 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am from Russia, Moscow . ElantraXD is very good forum in contrast with the russian Hyundai forum. Now I have many useful information for my future car's modifications.I have 1996 Lantra Wagon 1.8 M/T (Europe's model, i.e. MAP-based ECU, not MAF). Anyone could you recommend any products for the better performance of my car ? At first I need with better performance in low/middle RPM's (1000-3000 ).

Thanks

#3 ·
Your english is perfect!:)

Welcome to Elantraxd.com. I'd love to see pictures of your car to see what the Russian/European Lantra wagon looks like and what equipment it has.

A "cat back" exhaust system would be good -- if money is tight, one it can be made at a muffler shop by "mandrel" bending 2.5 inch exhaust pipe and putting on a higher flow muffler if that's cheaper for you than buying an aftermarket system.

A CAI (cold air intake) system will also improve your engine power. Since it doesn't get that hot in Mokba, you could just put a "short ram" intake on instead. A piece of thin-wall pipe on the intake side of the throttle body with a high flow cone filter would work if you put a 1/4" tube in it for the PCV vacuum line.

The other option to improve your air intake is to just cut out the bottom of the air filter box so there's more air coming in through it and that's free! I did that and noticed a big difference after cutting out the bottom of the air box and installing a K&N high-flow panel air filter (part 33-2201 for the 2001-2003 Elantras, not sure about yours). If you want to see pictures, let me know and I'll take some so you see what I did.

#4 ·
I have 1.8 beta engine, not Mitsubishi.
Thanks for your opinions. At first I'll try free option. As I understand you removed duct-air and resonator (28210 and 28190 - see attached picture of the stock air intake system for my car ) but hole in the body air cleaner (28112 ) is open for anything (water, dirt, small stones ... ). Also this hole is located near the radiator where air is very hot. Is it right ? Is the K&N plain filter better than stock plain filter?
As I know the CAI system requires lower location of the air filter so I think CAI is dangerous system at least for Russia. Also I think Russian winter changes CAI air filter to the icicle.

#7 ·
Why not try the reversable options first, like putting in the K&N air filter (check the part number before ordering) and removing the resonator and air duct (part 282111 and 282190) to the air cleaner housing. That way you can put them back on if you don't feel any difference.

IPG said:
As I understand you removed duct-air and resonator (28210 and 28190 - see attached picture of the stock air intake system for my car ) but hole in the body air cleaner (28112 ) is open for anything (water, dirt, small stones ... ). Also this hole is located near the radiator where air is very hot. Is it right ?[/
I forgot that the configuration of the airbox in the older Elantra was different.

Still, removing the part 282111 and 282190 will lessen the restriction of air into your engine, but may raise the temperature of the air coming in a bit.

Trimming out the bottom of the air box (part 28112 on your picture) will definitely help airflow even more without causing a problem with temperature unless you're sitting in traffic a lot of the time. The filter housing is inside the engine compartment above the transmission, so there shouldn't be any problem with anything getting in but dust. The filter will catch anything anyway, but you might have to replace the filter more often.

IPG said:
Is the K&N plain filter better than stock plain filter?
Yes; it allows more liters of air per minute to pass through it with less pressure drop so your engine "breathes" easier. Several of us have tried the K&N panel filter and found that there was a slight performance increase from it. Plus, when it gets dirty you just wash it and re-oil it. If you have to order it to be shipped to Moscow, you will probably want to buy the re-oiling kit too so you can save on shipping.

IPG said:
As I know the CAI system requires lower location of the air filter so I think CAI is dangerous system at least for Russia.
That's right, the older Elantra CAI pulled air in from down low in the engine bay. Not a good idea.

IPG said:
Also I think Russian winter changes CAI air filter to the icicle.
:D

#8 ·
Thanks for your answer. I'll put pic's of my Lantra Wagon later. Kylemorg, what do you think about air intake modifications that in attached picture?
After removing air duct (28210 ) and resonator (28190 ) I'll get an additional space under battery (where was resonator ). As I know cone filter (AREXi, K&N and so on ) more better than any plain filter and i want to put cone filter under the battery. Now stock air box is empty (without plain filter at all ) but IAT sensor (3940 ) will still sitting in it. The stock air box hole, silicon tube and cone filter will connected via clamps. Also the cone filter will attached to the stock resonator plate via bracket(s). Excuse me for my bad English!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.