MAF Sensor Mod? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: MAF Sensor Mod?

2004ElantraGLS
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I've been thinking about my MAF sensor. You know how, right infront of the sensor itself, there is a plastic mesh thing. Could/should I cut this out? Or how about taking a drill and making the individual holes a little bigger? Just something to get more air flow through there. It seems this thing would be kinda restrictive. I know they sell MAF sensors for cars like the Camero/Firebird, and they don't have this mesh thing infront of the sensor. If I do this, I know to be careful not to damage the sensor, but I'd like everyone's input before I try this. Thanks.

Axel

slow 2K2GT
09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
sure go for it, its not my car...

billydog
09-12-2004, 03:15 PM
stuff like that i think is just better left alone

Seinster
09-12-2004, 03:22 PM
personally I wouldn't carry out a modification like that.

AUTOBOT
09-12-2004, 04:12 PM
NO! DO NOT TOUCH THAT.

If you remove or mess with that little piece of mesh in any way, the car will run like crap. It is there for a reason. It actually straightens the air flow out when it passes through the MAF.

Josh K
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Autobot is absolutely right. Back when I had my Saleen, some mustang guys were messing with the idea of removing the MAF screen and all ran about 2-3 tenths slower in the 1/4 mile. Like autobot said, this screen breaks up and straightens the air flow so that the MAF can get an accurate reading and adjust your fuel/timing accordingly. Leave it alone ;0)

2004ElantraGLS
09-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses! So the mesh is there to break up and straighten the airflow....hmm...maybe I'll remove it and put in one of those Tornado things!!! Yeah!!!

Nah, just kidding. Thanks again for the advise, I'll leave it alone...

Axel

azwildfire
09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
I have a CAI with a K and N air filter, if you read the K and N stuff it says it straightens out the airflow for you anyway.

on about every other car i have owned that had a MAF, removing these screens helped out a lot, and my elantra is no diffrent. I have 5k miles with the screen removed and have not had a CEL or any performance troubles

just my $.02

Steve
09-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Ah, but have you run at the track before and after removing the screen? SOTP performance measurements are highly inaccurate.

Bnystrom
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I have a CAI with a K and N air filter, if you read the K and N stuff it says it straightens out the airflow for you anyway.

What kind of BS is that? How can an air filter possibly straigten out turbulence that occurs farther upstream in the intake system? If anything, filters INTRODUCE turbulence, since they don't pass air evenly through their entire surface, especially if they've been used for any length of time.

If K & N actually says this, it's just more misleading lies and another reason not to buy their products. Please provide a link to this statement so we can see if that's what they're claiming or if it's just your interpretation of what they say.

And please do explain what "helped out a lot" means. That's a pretty nebulous statement.

Josh K
09-13-2004, 02:34 PM

on about every other car i have owned that had a MAF, removing these screens helped out a lot, and my elantra is no diffrent. I have 5k miles with the screen removed and have not had a CEL or any performance troubles

just my $.02

The K&N may straighten the flow but the point of the screen is to break up the air flow so that the MAF takes an accurate reading. If you claim performance improvements, post some dyno timeslips before and after the screen removal. You might think removing the screen helps out, but every time I've seen dyno runs before and after there has always been a performance loss.

AUTOBOT
09-13-2004, 09:54 PM

just my $.02

Do what you want to do, but you have been warned.

Turbulence does not always happen at the point of the filter like stated and many people have done this mod with no immediate problems. Problems sometimes occur down the road. You claim it helped out a lot but I guarantee you that 99% of the perceived gains from the butt dyno were all placebo. Then even if it id did help any (which I doubt) the increased power loss afterwards could have happened gradually.

Believe me or don't, but you are damaging your motor.

azwildfire
09-14-2004, 04:58 PM
I used a Gtech to measure the 0-60 times, and it improved. i didnt take any digital photos of it because i didnt know you guys would be burning me at the stake for saying that it is something i tried and worked for me.

i will make sure not to post anything else on here that disagree's with the elantraXD Gods. the Chastizing just isnt worth it.

as for your K & N link - http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#BEYOND it lists that the filters help with turbulence to allow more air in blah blah, however re reading it, i think it applies to carburated applications.

and last thing i would like to mention, if removing the screen is so detremental, why do mustang, and corvett high flow MAF's have no screen? http://www.fasttoys.net/granatellimaf.jpg

Steve
09-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Hey Now! Keep posting your findings, you're not allowed to take offense, I say so. How long have you had the screen out of your MAF anyway?

2004ElantraGLS
09-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah man, don't take offense to some of the things people around here say. Some people are just really adamant about their own experiences. When someone else comes around with an idea or experience that contradicts their own, they sometimes get a little crazy.

Anyway, I really appritiate all the responses to my question. The reason I asked in the first place is because I also saw those Hi-Flow MAF Sensors for Mustangs and Camero/Firebird/Corvette motors. Something I'd like to see is someone who actually damaged their motor with this Mod. Anyone? I don't understand what it could do to the motor itself. All I could see happening is that the MAF Sensor itself goes bad...I know those things are expensive, that's why I'm asking all these questions before I do this mod. So many people seem to say that this will damage your motor, but can anyone give me an actual example of this?

And people....lighten up....I asked a simple question, there's no reason to get nasty with other Forumites about it. Just add your input and move on. Thanks.

Axel

hyunelan2
09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
and last thing i would like to mention, if removing the screen is so detremental, why do mustang, and corvett high flow MAF's have no screen?

Because Corvettes and Mustangs don't use Hyundai MAFs. Everything on the car was designed the way it is for a reason. Granted, some things were designed with ideas other than performance in mind (lifeline, gas milage, dependablity). I don't think re-engineering little computer sensors connected to the cars' ECM is the best idea to squeeze 2-3 more hp out of the car.

cclngthr
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Because Corvettes and Mustangs don't use Hyundai MAFs. Everything on the car was designed the way it is for a reason. Granted, some things were designed with ideas other than performance in mind (lifeline, gas milage, dependablity). I don't think re-engineering little computer sensors connected to the cars' ECM is the best idea to squeeze 2-3 more hp out of the car.

The reason Vette and Stang MAF's don't have screens is because they are not configured to the emission standards; in other words, they can run dirty and not cause a cel. Hyundai ecm mapping has the emissions as a core component in how the engine is supposed to run. The manufacturer has built the emissions as a key component (rather than hp) to the ecu.

XDGT03
09-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Off Topic here a bit

Why go back to the maf from the map? What advantage was there to using a more expensive part? It is more efficient at accomodating modifications (not that that is why they changed of course), but i don't know of any problems with the map set up.

AUTOBOT
09-15-2004, 07:28 AM
and last thing i would like to mention, if removing the screen is so detremental, why do mustang, and corvett high flow MAF's have no screen? http://www.fasttoys.net/granatellimaf.jpg

Because they were designed to run that way.

Notice, with that, you get an entirely new MAF, you just are not rplacing the screen. By showing that, yu basically support what we say because if removing the screen was ok, they wouldn't offer entirely new MAF sensors. Because why would anyone spend $300 on a high flow MAF when removing the screen is free?

FordFasteRR
09-15-2004, 10:18 AM
.....why would anyone spend $300 on a high flow MAF when removing the screen is free?

because the high flow maf has more area ? perhaps that is why it may outflow the stock unit.. the only way to know for sure is to measure the inner diameter of the aftermarket maf vs the stock maf... then you would know.

:)

AUTOBOT
09-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Point taken, but still removing the screen from the stock MAF is a "no no".