Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

HOW TO change the timing belt..... PLEASE help!!!

17K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  elantra2570 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys .. GREAT site.... I am in Bathurst NB, Canada.... now for my question.... I own a 2001 elantra... and I love it... Im at 91000km and I want to change the timing belt..... I saw the dealer take it off a while back but I just want to make sure..... I looked in the hyundai tech page and I know how to get to the belt.. (they dont metion takinig off the emgine mount?) but is it just releasing a bit of tesion on the belt and removing it(being careful not to move the crank and cam shaft sprockets?... and can they be moved anyways?) and then just puting back on the NEW belt in the same place.... by easing up and lining up the teeth on the belt to the teeth on the sprokets??? you guys know what I mean? they say on the hyundai tech page that I have to remove the cam and crank sproket ??(WHY) my dealer never did it when I watched him remove the belt.....(to check for a leak he thought I had on the crank shaft)anyways I AM pretty well mechanily inclined and I know there is no special tools involved..(I have the impact tools so Im ok there) and hey ... I know it maybe alot... but a step by step how to would be awsome!!! thanks from Newbrunsick Canada!

#3 · (Edited)
ya sorry but ,, I just wanna clear some things out,,,,,, and I didnt even see your post...... lol sorry about that..... but I hope we both can get a good response.... the hyundai tech site says jack sh** about doing a replacement.... and I gould have sworn that I saw my dealer take my engine mount off on that side and it say it nowhere on that page... so sorry once again!

#4 ·
Hey, nothing to be sorry about. I was also mentioning how the instructions on the HMA website are confusing/repetitive/poorly written/etc.

#6 ·
The best thing to do is to make friends with a mechanic, and then ask him to help/show you how to do it. At least that worked for me. It looks pretty simple but my cajones haven't dropped far enough for me to try it on my own.

I called around when I had to have one replaced about 3 years ago and the cheapest I found was about $180.00.

Are there no Haynes manuals for our cars? I haven't looked yet.

#7 · (Edited)
isnt there elantra mechanics in here.... I dont have no friends...... they al have hondas.. lol I am gonna do it.... but I never changed a "belt" before did 100s of chains... I just want a simple how to to guide me in the right way!

thanks

is it just that not many frequent the forums..... or is it just that no one know how to do it.... still seams like a taboo subject here...... please help..... I wanna do this this week end..... and I still never got a valid response
thanks guys!

#8 ·
ButterBean said:
Are there no Haynes manuals for our cars? I haven't looked yet.
I have a haynes manual for our car...I looked and changing the timing belt doesn't look too hard...but I haven't tried to do it yet so it may be harder than it looks.

--NY

#9 ·
NorthernYankee said:
I have a haynes manual for our car...I looked and changing the timing belt doesn't look too hard...but I haven't tried to do it yet so it may be harder than it looks.

--NY
would it be alot of trouble to scan it and post it? OR email me the proceedure......
What I would like to know is if I take the old belt off is it just putting the teeth of the belt on the teeth of the pulleyswithout moving them??? or do I have to align the timing marks.... and whille the belt is off will the cam and crank pullys move.. you guys understand what I am getting at?

#10 ·
Yeah i totally understand and i think you should be able to do that. The cam pulley can move pretty easily if you are not careful. I would just take a sharpie and put a mark on the 12 o'clock position and do the same with the crank gear so if they do move you can easily line them back up to where they were before you took the belt off.

When I get home I will scan the page from the haynes maual for you so you have a reference.

--NY

#19 ·
I am usually a "do it yourself guy" when it comes to most things (oil changes, brakes, plugs, coolant flush, stereo install) but i personally would rather pay the dealer the extra money to do it because they guarantee their work and if they screw something up they have to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.